Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women's BB, time to change?
Bookmark and Share
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
Women's BB, time to change?
I doubt we really care a lot but after last night when UConn completed the NCAA BB DP, I wonder where our WBB programs is? Seems little progress at 13-18. Best years were under Pirtle who was forced out.

UC hires national champ as new women's basketball coach
by John Bach
Jamelle Elliott knows her way around the White House. Or at least she should. She's been there as the guest of presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
After six NCAA national championships with the University of Connecticut -- one as a player and five as an assistant coach -- the Bearcats' new head women's basketball coach has seen firsthand what it takes to merit an invite to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. For Elliott, success has followed her determined work ethic.
"We are going to make this thing work," Elliott says. "It is going to take some time, but I know the resources and people are in place. There is no reason UC can't be mentioned with some of the best teams in the Big East."
Elliott was hired to replace J. Kelley Hall in 2009 after his two losing seasons and a 3-13 mark in the Big East last year. She is UC's eighth head basketball coach and the third in four years.
"Jamelle is one of the rising coaching stars in women's basketball," says UC's director of athletics Mike Thomas. "We were looking for a snapshot of success. I'd say she has a scrapbook of success."
Prior to coming to UC, Elliott spent four years playing for and 12 years assisting UConn's Hall of Fame head coach Geno Auriemma. In her time as an assistant, the Huskies were 402-36 with five NCAA titles and 10 Big East regular-season championships. To show support for his former assistant, Auriemma flew to Cincinnati to be present for Elliott's May 5 press conference. His message to reporters was simple -- that Elliott is well prepared for the UC assignment.
"She's seen every aspect there is to see," says Auriemma. "She has been a part of (Connecticut basketball) when it was not good, when it was great and when it was really great."
UConn's loss, he says, will be Cincinnati's gain. "Most championships are won on signing day. She is as good a recruiter as I've ever seen. That is the key to everything. She will get players. She makes people feel comfortable. She draws you into her sphere of influence."
Leaving a program like UConn, Elliott admits, was a difficult decision.
"I could have stayed there 20 years and been absolutely content," says Elliott, who completed her bachelor's in business and her master's in sports management at Connecticut. "But I wanted something bigger. I've always had the dream and desire of becoming a head coach and running my own program. I wasn't just going to leave there to go to any school. It had to be the right school."
What made the Bearcats the right fit?
"A lot of people call it a gut feeling or intuition, but when I came here to visit and spent time with Mike Thomas and the rest of the athletics department, I just felt comfortable. I could see myself being here and being successful."
Elliott will measure her program's success in wins, but she'll also gauge victories based upon how her players approach the game, their studies and their community. "I want my players to play hard every single minute of practice and games," she explains. "We are going to compete. We are going to be fundamentally sound, smart and prepared.
"It is not just about basketball. I want my players to be well-rounded individuals who will not only make the program proud, but also Cincinnati, their parents and everyone they represent."
Her drive, she says, stems from her childhood background. Elliott is the first to admit her life has been a rather unlikely odyssey that started in the inner city of Washington, D.C. Though she grew up in the distant shadows of the White House, meeting a president was never on the radar for young Jamelle. Like poor kids in major cities across the country, she watched her neighborhood fall to pieces in the '80s as crack cocaine use hit epidemic levels.
"I think I owe my life to basketball," she says. "Several people that I grew up with either became pregnant, addicted to drugs or led a life of crime. Basketball was an outlet. It allowed me to stay off the streets."
Elliott didn't have much growing up, but she did have a caring family. "I grew up with both my mom and dad in the house, which was a rarity," she says.
"There were murders and drug dealers and things like that. My environment was poor, but when I was in my home, I felt like I was part of any other normal loving family. I think the things I witnessed have prepared me and have allowed me to continue to be humble. It made me the person I am today."
Her gritty upbringing, she says, has continually motivated her to push herself. What she lacked in skill, she made up for in effort. Elliott's work ethic in high school, as a scholar athlete named to the Washington Post All-Metro Team and one who helped her team win consecutive state championships, caught the attention of UConn's Auriemma. Though just under 5 feet 10 inches tall, she became only the second player in UConn history to surpass the 1,000-point and 1,000-rebound milestones. Incredibly, she never missed a single game or practice during her four collegiate years, and she was a key member of the 1995 NCAA national championship team that finished undefeated with 35 wins.
Elliott describes her playing style as "blue collar." She was one who took more pride in grabbing a rebound or setting a screen than making a basket.
"I like to say that I was the glue that kept the team together," she says. "Every team needs somebody who doesn't need the limelight. That was me."

04-09-2014 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Women's BB, time to change?
Could care less about Women's BB but I always thought they made a terrible hire. She had no HC resume to speak of and how hard it is to recruit to UCONN? I mean really.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:37 AM by Marcus.)
04-09-2014 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Not a follower of WBB, but with all the talent that is in the state of Ohio we should be recruiting at a higher level. The reigning Miss Ohio is right here in our backyard (Princeton) and I doubt she gave us any consideration (see is going to that school in Columbus). I checked over on ESPN's recruiting sites and noted a couple pagegs of elite WBB players noted from this state (by comparison Kentucky had half a page).

04-09-2014 10:42 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I could not tell you who the heck is the coach for UC WBB. Not sure if that is a bad thing, either.

04-09-2014 10:58 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Laurie Pirtle was the "Rick Minter" of WBB IMO. The 1st hire MT had (J Kelley Hall) was absolutely dreadful. I think Jamelle Elliott should be given a couple more years but if things don't improve dramtically it may be time to make a change.

I'm in the group with some others here that think UC athletics across the board need to improve. The Football and Basketball programs are P5 ready, but most of the other sports are sorely lacking.

04-09-2014 11:14 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(04-09-2014 11:14 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  I'm in the group with some others here that think UC athletics across the board need to improve. The Football and Basketball programs are P5 ready, but most of the other sports are sorely lacking.
And the reason is..................money.

Most of the other sports at UC are so underfunded compared to P5 teams it is not even fair. UConn has made a choice to fund women's hoops as a priority. And you can see the result of that decision on their football field.

Just another reason we need out......I know....I'm a broken record.

04-09-2014 12:05 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(04-09-2014 12:05 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  And the reason is..................money.

Most of the other sports at UC are so underfunded compared to P5 teams it is not even fair. UConn has made a choice to fund women's hoops as a priority. And you can see the result of that decision on their football field.

UConn women's basketball is self sufficient. It hasn't hurt football at all. In fact, it has added revenue streams to allow them to build huge practice facilities because they didn't have to pour money into a money losing proposition like UC women's basketball.

04-09-2014 12:19 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 12:05 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:14 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  I'm in the group with some others here that think UC athletics across the board need to improve. The Football and Basketball programs are P5 ready, but most of the other sports are sorely lacking.
And the reason is..................money.

Isn't football also underfunded at UC from a P5 standpoint? I've seen it mentioned in the past in various articles, etc... that UC's recruiting budget for football was the worst out of all the BCS schools.

04-09-2014 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
I've been to a few WBB games, some as a student and some more recently. I have not attended a game with over 100 fans in attendance to my knowledge. The atmosphere isn't very upbeat either IMO.

This past year I went to my 1st Men's soccer game (an upset win over Nationally ranked UL) and they had a good crowd at the game and it was a fun experience.

I attended the baseball team's victory over Youngstown State (1-0) this year and loved the crowd and energy.

I realize the programs have cash revenue problems (MT in a MAC-like move cut many Olympic sports and/or scholarships that were at least in part reinstated by Whit); but I think more could be done by WBB with what they have than mediocrity.

04-09-2014 12:33 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
Quote:Isn't football also underfunded at UC from a P5 standpoint? I've seen it mentioned in the past in various articles, etc... that UC's recruiting budget for football was the worst out of all the BCS schools.

Let's not forget that the only schools UC Men's Basketball can fund to come to the Shoe are the directional schools either.

04-09-2014 12:36 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 12:36 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  
Quote:Isn't football also underfunded at UC from a P5 standpoint? I've seen it mentioned in the past in various articles, etc... that UC's recruiting budget for football was the worst out of all the BCS schools.

Let's not forget that the only schools UC Men's Basketball can fund to come to the Shoe are the directional schools either.

I know it's crazy. Who at the University has the power to determine and or increase the funding to the Athletic Department? UC athletics are ridiculously under-funded and not just in the small sports, but the big two as well.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 12:42 PM by Marcus.)
04-09-2014 12:41 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(04-09-2014 12:41 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I know it's crazy. Who at the University has the power to determine and or increase the funding to the Athletic Department? UC athletics are ridiculously under-funded and not just in the small sports, but the big two as well.

UC already subsidizes athletics above and beyond most schools around the country. You can't expect the general fund to continually be raided to support sports.

I love UC athletics, but I don't think you should take away from the main mission of the school to add more money to athletics.

04-09-2014 12:51 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

That would be the BOT.

That being said, how can they responsibly call to dramatically increase the athletic budget when the school is taking in less television revenue and bowl revenue?

04-09-2014 12:56 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 12:51 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 12:41 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I know it's crazy. Who at the University has the power to determine and or increase the funding to the Athletic Department? UC athletics are ridiculously under-funded and not just in the small sports, but the big two as well.

UC already subsidizes athletics above and beyond most schools around the country. You can't expect the general fund to continually be raided to support sports.

I love UC athletics, but I don't think you should take away from the main mission of the school to add more money to athletics.

I'm not expecting it, I was asking it more as a questoin.

But the University itself does subsidize athletics more than most other BCS schools? Are there any articles or anything on where they stand relative to the rest of the BCS schools?

Like I said I've seen it mentioned for years, even when UC was a part of the Big East when it was seemingly on stable ground and had a decent contract in place that they had the worst recruiting budget in football among all BCS schools.

So I was wondering why UC is so under-funded relative to the rest of the BCS schools. If it isn't from the University subsidizing the athletic program is it lack of donations?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 01:06 PM by Marcus.)
04-09-2014 01:01 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 12:56 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  That would be the BOT.

That being said, how can they responsibly call to dramatically increase the athletic budget when the school is taking in less television revenue and bowl revenue?

It won't happen, but this was going on when they were apart of the Big East and the contract at the time was at least decent. I'm just trying to figure out if it is a lack of priority on the part of the University... a lack of financial support from alumni and donors or what? Why has even their football budget been the lowest among all the rest of the BCS schools?

Do they have plans to sell the naming rights to the FB stadium or anything like that?

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 01:07 PM by Marcus.)
04-09-2014 01:04 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(04-09-2014 01:01 PM)Marcus Wrote:  So I was wondering why UC is so under-funded relative to the rest of the BCS schools. If it isn't from the University subsidizing the athletic program is it lack of donations?

Donations and lack of football fans.

Here is an article from USA Today about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/s.../finances/

UC is 41st in total dollars subsidized. Only a handful of "BCS" schools are above UC. About 1/3 of the athletic department's budget comes from the school.

04-09-2014 01:11 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(04-09-2014 01:04 PM)Marcus Wrote:  It won't happen, but this was going on when they were apart of the Big East and the contract at the time was at least decent. I'm just trying to figure out if it is a lack of priority on the part of the University... a lack of financial support from alumni and donors or what? Why has even their football budget been the lowest among all the rest of the BCS schools?

Do they have plans to sell the naming rights to the FB stadium or anything like that?

UC has said that they have no plans on selling naming rights to Nippert, and if I remember correctly they can't do that due to the original gift from the Nippert family.

UC doesn't draw enough fans, plain and simple. Obviously with the newly remodeled Nippert they are hoping to fix that. That will also surely include a significant jump in ticket costs, which is fairly reasonable for UC compared to other schools.

04-09-2014 01:15 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Here's a USA Today article I found from a couple years ago. We weren't the worst offender in a BCS Conference in accepting subsidies but we were definately in the bottom tier. Other members of the old Big East were in the same category (Rutgers, USF) and I am guessing that had to do with the fact the Big East's contract was much less than the other BCS conference's.

As far as UC, I think a major issue has been Nippert. Unlike most schools, we have not been able to tap into premium seating as a revenue source to augment the budget. Nippert enhancement was very much needed regardless of whether we get moved into a P5 conference or stay in the AAC. Donations from the fan base and from the corporate community have been an issue as well. Last I checked we had less than 5,000 members in UCATS (despite the minimum donation requirement only being $50). I think I read somewhere that most of the schools in the American has a larger base in their respective groups.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col...s/2142443/

04-09-2014 01:18 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 01:15 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 01:04 PM)Marcus Wrote:  It won't happen, but this was going on when they were apart of the Big East and the contract at the time was at least decent. I'm just trying to figure out if it is a lack of priority on the part of the University... a lack of financial support from alumni and donors or what? Why has even their football budget been the lowest among all the rest of the BCS schools?

UC has said that they have no plans on selling naming rights to Nippert, and if I remember correctly they can't do that due to the original gift from the Nippert family.

Good grief, how long ago was that gift given and how long did they "agree" not to sell the naming rights? I would think that is something UC could get out of rather easily if a considerable amount of time has passed. Sounds like a terrible deal on UC's part. They could be bringing in a nice chunck of change by selling the naming rights. Anything is better than nothing.

04-09-2014 01:43 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-09-2014 01:18 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Last I checked we had less than 5,000 members in UCATS (despite the minimum donation requirement only being $50).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col...s/2142443/

Wow that is terrible. They really need an AD who can market to the fans/alumni as well as potential corporate sponsors. I guess Jurich types are almost impossible to find.

04-09-2014 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.