Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who Do You Consider As A Peer ?
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Who Do You Consider As A Peer ?
With the recent conference shuffles, the membership of CUSA has changed dramatically. Losing Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, SMU and Memphis while acquiring Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Charlotte, WKU and ODU, (Hope I didn't miss anyone). What conference or conferences do you consider as a peer or peers to CUSA ? Bowl slots ? TV dollars ? National recognition ? A one year anomaly (Last year's Belt) or head to head means little as most games are between a better vs worse team. To me AAC is not a peer as many CUSA teams would jump at a change to move there or the Belt as Belt teams would jump to move to CUSA. Thoughts ?
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 08:04 AM by MG61.)
04-09-2014 07:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Who Do You Consider As A Peer ?
The MAC and Sun Belt are our peers now. I would say MWC is right there too, but with better basketball success. AAC is proving it is ahead of the other G5 leagues.
04-09-2014 07:57 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Shouldn't be too long before this one get moved to smacked talk.
04-09-2014 07:58 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(04-09-2014 07:58 AM)wh49er Wrote:  Shouldn't be too long before this one get moved to smacked talk.

It's off season for the 2 major sports. We'll have a few months of threads like these.

I am glad that realignment talk is over for C-USA now. We could have dozens of FCS fans pimping their schools on our board (like the Sun Belt).
04-09-2014 08:03 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I think athletic budgets of $40 million and down are peers. (non-AQ teams)

41 to 60 million are peers (under-performing AQ teams... TCU, Iowa St, Ole Miss, Utah, Wake Forest etc...)

61 million + are peers. (the elite teams... Texas, Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, USC, etc...)
04-09-2014 08:26 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
In basketball there's a whole bunch simply because there's so many conferences.
04-09-2014 08:26 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I think most of us are peers.

Rice is the only school in this conference without a peer. They really don't fit in this conference. I'm glad they are here, but I can fully understand any Rice fan that does not want to see their school in this conference.
04-09-2014 08:31 AM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

UAB will miss playing Memphis but that will be fixed out of conference hopefully. They are our peers in a single team sense

Everything from the mwc to the sun belt are our equals and yes Marv that includes the American too.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 08:58 AM by Dracorex.)
04-09-2014 08:57 AM
Tampa Bay Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(04-09-2014 08:57 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  UAB will miss playing Memphis but that will be fixed out of conference hopefully. They are our peers in a single team sense

Everything from the mwc to the sun belt are our equals and yes Marv that includes the American too.

We played UAB in basketball, but UAB basketball and Memphis basketball have very little else in common. Probably more in common in football than in basketball. And as far as a home-home series, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see that happening.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:22 AM by Tampa Bay Tiger.)
04-09-2014 09:21 AM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2014 09:21 AM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:57 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  UAB will miss playing Memphis but that will be fixed out of conference hopefully. They are our peers in a single team sense

We played UAB in basketball, but UAB basketball and Memphis basketball have very little else in common. Probably more in common in football than in basketball. And as far as a home-home series, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see that happening.

Our AD has said publicly that they are actively working on the basketball series for 15-16
04-09-2014 09:25 AM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

USM and ECU = Best friends forever.

No...but seriously, the histories of our programs mirrored one another so much. We had so many great/ridiculous games. I won't lie...it hurts seeing them go.

As far as conferences go, I think our peer is the Sun Belt. That's the best comparison in football these days. We're pretty close with the MAC in basketball. Comparing us to the MWC is far too much of a stretch, to me. They are way better in basketball and still significantly better in football even with Boise being down.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:33 AM by eaglenjxn.)
04-09-2014 09:27 AM
Advertisement

Dracorex Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2014 09:27 AM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  

No...but seriously, the histories of our programs mirrored one another so much. We had so many great/ridiculous games. I won't lie...it hurts seeing them go.

As far as conferences go, I think our peer is the Sun Belt. That's the best comparison in football these days. We're pretty close with the MAC in basketball. Comparing us to the MWC is far too much of a stretch, to me. They are way better in basketball and still significantly better in football even with Boise being down.

I disagree on basketball and this is why:
The MWC is 3 spots better than us in basketball
The SBC is 6 spots worse than us in basketball

I have no comment on football. I tend to agree with you on that one. We are still ahead of the Belt in football but the MWC is better by far.
04-09-2014 09:39 AM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

(04-09-2014 09:39 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  

I have no comment on football. I tend to agree with you on that one. We are still ahead of the Belt in football but the MWC is better by far.

In terms of the actual RPI (not the rankings), we were closer to the Sun Belt than the MWC--according to Warren Nolan's ratings.

Plus, I think the our conference's performance in the Tournament in recent years is more similar to the Sun Belt than the MWC.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 10:11 AM by eaglenjxn.)
04-09-2014 10:03 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
A one year sample size doesn't render a verdict on CUSA.

The conference's configuration is still changing. Give it at least 3 starting with this upcoming season.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 10:08 AM by monarchoptimist.)
04-09-2014 10:07 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(04-09-2014 07:51 AM)MG61 Wrote:  With the recent conference shuffles, the membership of CUSA has changed dramatically. Losing Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, SMU and Memphis while acquiring Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Charlotte, WKU and ODU, (Hope I didn't miss anyone). What conference or conferences do you consider as a peer or peers to CUSA ? Bowl slots ? TV dollars ? National recognition ? A one year anomaly (Last year's Belt) or head to head means little as most games are between a better vs worse team. To me AAC is not a peer as many CUSA teams would jump at a change to move there or the Belt as Belt teams would jump to move to CUSA. Thoughts ?

I think we are somewhere between Sun Belt and MWC or AAC.

We are a step up from Sun Belt but not as good as MWC or AAC.
04-09-2014 10:12 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
It seems pretty clear to me that in football our peers are the rest of the G5, but mostly the MAC. The AAC seems to have a leg up on us and the SBC seems to be considered the bottom even though they've done pretty well. I would hope we could even up with the MWC and even the AAC at some point in football.

In basketball the AAC is head and shoulders better.. for now. Our peers would be the Missouri Valley Conference, MAC and hopefully the MWC. I was hoping CUSA hoops would be equal to the A10 and AAC (minus UConn) but that seems like a stretch.
04-09-2014 10:24 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

USM's peers are the schools in the AAC.
04-09-2014 10:27 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
In football, I'd say the MAC but I think we'll surprise some folks this next year. Anyone that thinks next year's Sun Belt will be anything but miserable is forgetting that they are adding Idaho (1 winning season in the last 14 years) and NMSU (4 winning seasons in the last 43 years....yes 43 years) in addition to adding two FCS moveups (AppSt and GaSo), both which although may be good down the road are entering their first year as FBS. Also, the SBC is losing WKU which finished in the top half of the SBC the last three years.

On the flipside, CUSA is losing ECU, Tulane and Tulsa, and although adding WKU and ODU doesn't make up for those losses, it's far better than what the SBC is adding. Net win to CUSA and the separation becomes wider.

In basketball, I have to think on that one for awhile. Lots of potential in this conference but I don't won't to waste too much space speculating.
04-09-2014 10:44 AM
Tampa Bay Tiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(04-09-2014 09:25 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:21 AM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  

Our AD has said publicly that they are actively working on the basketball series for 15-16

I've not heard anything of the sort in Memphis.
04-09-2014 10:51 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(04-09-2014 09:39 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  

Why do you think Conf US is better than the Sun Belt in football? Basketball , no question, but why football.
04-09-2014 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.