Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Florida/Memphis psyche
Bookmark and Share
alcalde Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Florida/Memphis psyche
Was interesting watching how quickly a teams psyche can change over the course of a few minutes, and change that team from the #1 team in the country to a unit that completely doubts themselves.

That seems to be the theme this entire season, and it certainly was with us. When we believed, we played shutdown defense to close out games against Louisville and Gonzaga. When we didn't we looked like a team that couldn't beat 5 guys from this board if we wore Virginia jerseys and convinced them we were something of which to be intimidated.

UConn and Kentuckys turnarounds, all based on a tweak of the psyche and not Xs and Os, is incredible. What happened to Florida in game is exactly what we experienced from game to game.
04-06-2014 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Florida/Memphis psyche
There are plenty on here who don't believe players can mentally be rattled out of a game....I was mocked for suggesting that missed early bunnies against Virginia did that to us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-06-2014 11:36 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Florida/Memphis psyche
(04-06-2014 11:36 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  There are plenty on here who don't believe players can mentally be rattled out of a game....I was mocked for suggesting that missed early bunnies against Virginia did that to us

You do realize a coach does have some control over that...

Some coaches really understand their team and know when to stop and talk to them...Hell Call called a timeout 1 minute into the second 1/2 last night after only 1 3 pointer was made...Didn't seem necessary at the time but he understands his guys.
04-06-2014 12:13 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

(04-06-2014 12:13 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:36 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  There are plenty on here who don't believe players can mentally be rattled out of a game....I was mocked for suggesting that missed early bunnies against Virginia did that to us

Some coaches really understand their team and know when to stop and talk to them...Hell Call called a timeout 1 minute into the second 1/2 last night after only 1 3 pointer was made...Didn't seem necessary at the time but he understands his guys.

Kevin Ollie also. UCONN was down to late MSU and down big to Florida. I would like to hear what these coaches say in those timeouts.
04-06-2014 12:46 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Florida/Memphis psyche

Things like this are where the board gets it's divide. A simple post about players being rattled gets turned over to coaching.

Yes, I fully understand what you are saying. Are you also implying that when we call to's in similar situations we didn't try any to adjust?

04-06-2014 12:56 PM
Advertisement

alcalde Offline
Banned

I Root For:

They did, but the switch was already hardwired into us after recent beatdowns to Cincy and UConn. Going from playing well to falling apart and losing all confidence was becoming a habit, and we all knew we had little chance in the NCAA because we are one of the most easily rattled teams out there.

What was interesting about Florida was they didn't have the same hardwire for it. However, after winning 30 games in a row, similar to Wichita, they may have been rattled by the ramification of the bursting balloon if they were to actually lose. Whatever the case, Florida went from the juggernaut they had become, to no different or better than we were when UConn slaughtered us. When Wilbekin turned the ball over on two straight possessions, he had become a shell of what he had been all season, and Im not sure if an injury had as much to do with it, or if there was something psycho-somatic that brought the injury about so that his ego could still hold that his team was undefeated when he played without injury
04-06-2014 01:30 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-06-2014 12:56 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  

Things like this are where the board gets it's divide. A simple post about players being rattled gets turned over to coaching.

Yes, I fully understand what you are saying. Are you also implying that when we call to's in similar situations we didn't try any to adjust?

At that point it is not about the schemes...

It is about getting your team to believe in them
04-06-2014 02:34 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
It must not be that easy to accomplish when your team is going down the drain.

I watched Coach Roy Williams melt down on the bench one year his team got rattled in the NCAA tournament and fell embarassingly far behind. But if I recall correctly, it was psycho T that brought them back, though they lost.

When we got rattled during that last NCAA tourney game that Cal coached, wasn't it Taggart who got tough and brought us to within striking distance?

In the first Atlantis game that Geron played, he came in and rallied the stricken. I tink we won the last game because of his toughness, but just an opinion
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 02:52 PM by snowtiger.)
04-06-2014 02:49 PM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(04-06-2014 02:34 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

It is about getting your team to believe in themselves. Has nothing to do with X's and O's.
04-06-2014 04:32 PM
Advertisement

alcalde Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-06-2014 02:49 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  It must not be that easy to accomplish when your team is going down the drain.

I watched Coach Roy Williams melt down on the bench one year his team got rattled in the NCAA tournament and fell embarassingly far behind. But if I recall correctly, it was psycho T that brought them back, though they lost.

When we got rattled during that last NCAA tourney game that Cal coached, wasn't it Taggart who got tough and brought us to within striking distance?

In the first Atlantis game that Geron played, he came in and rallied the stricken. I tink we won the last game because of his toughness, but just an opinion

Pretty sure it was Dozier that started the run. Once he got going, Anderson got going too. Tyreke had a good game all together. I remember we got down 24, and then it started with a 11 or 13 to 0 run that I think got started by Dozier
04-06-2014 05:01 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-06-2014 04:32 PM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 02:34 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

It is about getting your team to believe in themselves. Has nothing to do with X's and O's.

True it all starts there.
04-06-2014 06:11 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(04-06-2014 05:01 PM)alcalde Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 02:49 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  It must not be that easy to accomplish when your team is going down the drain.

Pretty sure it was Dozier that started the run. Once he got going, Anderson got going too. Tyreke had a good game all together. I remember we got down 24, and then it started with a 11 or 13 to 0 run that I think got started by Dozier

You are probably right. For some reason I remember Taggart in there too. The only reason I remember this is because it was surprising. I can still see his satisfied face when he did something good twice.
04-06-2014 06:38 PM
TigerBabbler Offline
All American

I Root For:
the group of individuals that play in the fedex forum have NO FIGHT...miss a few early shots...game over...coach has no ability to motivate nor make adjustments...just folded arms and smirking smile...
04-06-2014 06:46 PM
Advertisement

mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(04-06-2014 12:46 PM)Crazier Wrote:  Kevin Ollie also. UCONN was down to late MSU and down big to Florida. I would like to hear what these coaches say in those timeouts.

"Listen guys...they got good players...they are well coached...they are making shots...we gotta make some shots..."
04-06-2014 10:13 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Very late in the game- Florida slumped.

They slumped because they were going to lose.

They did not lose because they were slumping. There was no sea change with them- they simply missed too many shots- and were unable to score inside. UConn played well.

With that- no question that early in the Virginia game- the missed bunnies had an effect. It should not have, but it did. When UVA started their run it should not have given them the lead- but should have only gotten them closer.

Florida looked to simply be outplayed- and I did not see body language or anything of the like until it was basically out of reach- and even then Patric Young was diving out of bounds.

It was about basketball- not psyche.
04-06-2014 10:40 PM
Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
I think most people understood that Fla was the best team in the country, but they weren't a great offensive team and were a little shaky with their shooting so they were vulnerable to a team really clicking on all cylinders.

In my view, this is what happened.

I'll always believe that Fla was the best team in the country in 2013-14, they just weren't the national champions.

Much like us in 2009.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 11:11 PM by Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas.)
04-06-2014 11:10 PM
alcalde Offline
Banned

I Root For:
04-07-2014 02:42 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-07-2014 02:42 PM)alcalde Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...of-a-title

hmmmmm
04-07-2014 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.