Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Josh Pastner in his Own Words
Bookmark and Share
Malachi Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Josh Pastner in his Own Words
"A really good coach is one that can win with no talent. I never want to be a really good coach. I'll be happy being an average coach, and let's go get great players."
March 2013

Many posters have said our players are overrated and not as good as their rankings. So what happens in a situation where your coach doesn't have the initiative to become a better coach, and the players he's recruiting aren't 'great', and you take a step up in the level of conference competition?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 09:32 AM by Malachi.)
04-05-2014 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
RE: Josh Pastner in his Own Words
I think CJP needs to bounce some of these ideas off somebody else before speaking.

Remember to put brain in gear before opening your mouth.
04-05-2014 09:35 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
So is this that 'storm that's a coming' you guys keep on mentioning?
04-05-2014 09:36 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-05-2014 09:32 AM)Malachi Wrote:  "A really good coach is one that can win with no talent. I never want to be a really good coach. I'll be happy being an average coach, and let's go get great players."
March 2013

Many posters have said our players are overrated and not as good as their rankings. So what happens in a situation where your coach doesn't have the initiative to become a better coach, and the players he's recruiting aren't 'great', and you take a step up in the level of conference competition?

What is your definition of a disaster?
04-05-2014 09:58 AM
Malachi Offline
Banned

(04-05-2014 09:58 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 09:32 AM)Malachi Wrote:  "A really good coach is one that can win with no talent. I never want to be a really good coach. I'll be happy being an average coach, and let's go get great players."
March 2013

What is your definition of a disaster?

Depends on what your goals are for the program. Me personally, I'm all about winning the national championship because that is the goal of the coach, the players, the administration and the key donors that pay Josh's salary.

Recipe for disaster refers to combining ingredients that prevent you from achieving that greatness and in fact can push the program backward.

Next year we already take a backseat to SMU. How many on here thought that day would come?
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 10:03 AM by Malachi.)
04-05-2014 10:03 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Phail.

Players and coach have been really good of late.

Short of great- but will be in position again next year and the foreseeable future.
04-05-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Malachi Offline
Banned

(04-05-2014 10:27 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Phail.

Short of great- but will be in position again next year and the foreseeable future.

What is your definition of great?

So really good = tied for third in conference reg season, destroyed on our home court in the conf tournament, earn an 8 seed, one NCAA win and destroyed again by a quality team to end the year?

We were preseason top 15 and went backwards not forward. That's an ok season to me. Decent, not good, and no where close to great

Your post is the 'phail' in this thread.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 10:33 AM by Malachi.)
04-05-2014 10:32 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
FAIL…if you guys don't want Pastner, just buy the guy out. Stop the whining and acting like goofy school kids on their first breakup even though they never got a first kiss. If you don't want to support the guy, stay the hell away and home. Keep your money. It is a simple concept. We went through this with West. Those that were paying him were not ready to buy him out as fast you guys were. Their call, not yours. No different now. Get on with the support or stay home. This crap gets old. If finding every possible excuse to complain is your goal, you succeeded. In this case, I agree with him. Give me players before all else. They matter.
04-05-2014 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(04-05-2014 10:32 AM)Malachi Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 10:27 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Phail.

What is your definition of great?

So really good = tied for third in conference reg season with a team in the Final Four, destroyed on our home court in the conf tournament by a team in the final four, earn an 8 seed, one NCAA win and destroyed again by a quality team to end the year?

We were preseason top 15 and went backwards not forward. That's an ok season to me. Decent not good and no where close to great

Your post is the 'phail' in this thread.

FIFY
04-05-2014 10:33 AM
Malachi Offline
Banned

(04-05-2014 10:32 AM)Strat57 Wrote:  FAIL…if you guys don't want Pastner, just buy the guy out. Stop the whining and acting like goofy school kids on their first breakup even though they never got a first kiss. If you don't want to support the guy, stay the hell away and home. Keep your money. It is a simple concept. We went through this with West. Those that were paying him were not ready to buy him out as fast you guys were. Their call, not yours. No different now. Get on with the support or stay home. This crap gets old. If finding every possible excuse to complain is your goal, you succeeded. In this case, I agree with him. Give me players before all else. They matter.

I'll support my program however I want but thanks for telling others how to act. I didn't say fire josh. I was asking what to think of the coaches comments about how he doesn't strive to become a better coach.

If you don't have an opinion on a comment YOUR coach made then there are plenty of other threads.

Good day.
04-05-2014 10:35 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
First, you're making assumptions about Pastner from that quote, that are as far from his personality and work ethic as possible. You are really having to stretch to come up with another way to ***** about Pastner, with the season over.

Second, you likely have no clue what a real "disaster" is.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 10:41 AM by TripleA.)
04-05-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Tigerdad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
If you are going to quote someone, you should use the exact quote not make one up. Josh never said he wanted to be an average coach.
04-05-2014 10:43 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Not going to argue- following the mantra of a poster- who properly suggests not wrestling with the trolls.

When the day comes that recognizing a team that advanced in the NCAA tournament, that won 5 games over ranked teams, including three over really highly ranked teams, went 12-6 in conference, but that indeed suffered a handful of bad losses, was not great but was really good (top 10% in the country) is not enough- but you must go beyond that and shrivel because the team was ranked higher in the PRESEASON and therefor they are just decent, or OK, then it is over.

You got a few bites with your ridiculous "coach does not have the initiative to be better" comment. We know you will argue this- perhaps with yourself- for quite some time- trying to take a similar comment that so many coaches make about basketball being a players game- but you will simply be entertaining yourself.

November 2013. says it all.

Your other soon to come tired idea will be that gee mimi you accept seasons like this past one and do not want greatness will surely grace us soon. I should have noticed the November 2013 sooner. Thanks for the ignore button. Which also becomes fatiguing as more and more and more posters who do very little but tweak Memphis and make pointless off season gee I must be lonely thread starts keep coming.
04-05-2014 10:44 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

Does this quote count as "facts" ?

Sent from my Nokia Icon using Tapatalk
04-05-2014 10:46 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(04-05-2014 09:36 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  So is this that 'storm that's a coming' you guys keep on mentioning?

They'll keep making crap up until they start one.
04-05-2014 10:49 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(04-05-2014 10:40 AM)TripleA Wrote:  First, you're making assumptions about Pastner from that quote, that are as far from his personality and work ethic as possible. You are really having to stretch to come up with another way to ***** about Pastner, with the season over.

Second, you likely have no clue what a real "disaster" is.

this ^
04-05-2014 10:50 AM
Advertisement

Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

People still trolling for reasons to bash Pastner. Shocking
04-05-2014 11:05 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2014 11:05 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  People still trolling for reasons to bash Pastner. Shocking

Its going to be a long Summer.....
04-05-2014 11:06 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

March 2013

Not all the players. Just the ones where it was/is obvious.

Some with IQ's just north of a rock, can't recognize a humble guy giving credit to his players for the success they had and will continue to have.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 11:11 AM by midtowncowboy.)
04-05-2014 11:08 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(04-05-2014 10:43 AM)Tigerdad Wrote:  If you are going to quote someone, you should use the exact quote not make one up. Josh never said he wanted to be an average coach.

(04-05-2014 11:06 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 11:05 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  People still trolling for reasons to bash Pastner. Shocking

Its going to be a long Summer.....

Maybe they'll catch the recruiting bug.
04-05-2014 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.