Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Iran Hostage Taker to UN as Ambassador
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Iran Hostage Taker to UN as Ambassador
Can we take him hostage for a few years like he did our people?
Guess not, but a lot of people want us to refuse his visa.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/02/irans-capto...-pressure/

OK get the jokes out of the way....we could make him use American Express instead. jk
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Latest-Ne...ambassador

Not sure Iran will ever want any worthwhile relationship with the USA.
Obama is acting like their pawn.
04-04-2014 06:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Iran Hostage Taker to UN as Ambassador
(04-04-2014 06:15 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Not sure Iran will ever want any worthwhile relationship with the USA.
Obama is acting like their pawn.

Iran does and will. The mullahs now in control do not and never will. But, they won't be in power forever.
04-04-2014 01:37 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Wow, what an overt power play.

Interested to see what happens.
04-04-2014 01:45 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Nothing. We really can't stop them from sending their rep to the UN. We can limit them to Manhattan. And I'm sure we do.
04-04-2014 02:01 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(04-04-2014 02:01 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Nothing. We really can't stop them from sending their rep to the UN. We can limit them to Manhattan. And I'm sure we do.

Technically, we could kidnap him and hold him hostage...
04-04-2014 02:48 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-04-2014 02:48 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 02:01 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Nothing. We really can't stop them from sending their rep to the UN. We can limit them to Manhattan. And I'm sure we do.

We can refuse to accept his credentials.

This has all the look to be one of those let's see how far we can push it deals. So push back. Hard.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 03:19 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
04-04-2014 03:19 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(04-04-2014 03:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We can refuse to accept his credentials.

That would assume that the current administration disagreed with the Ambassador-Elect's actions in 1979.

Yeah, they'll accept his credentials.
04-04-2014 03:23 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2014 03:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 02:48 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

We can refuse to accept his credentials.

This has all the look to be one of those let's see how far we can push it deals. So push back. Hard.

No. We cannot. That's part of the problem with being the host of the UN. It is the UN, not the USA that handles the credentialing.
04-04-2014 03:46 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Is there any precedence for refusing someone access to the UN? They have to go through LaGuardia, or something like that.
04-04-2014 05:20 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(04-04-2014 05:20 PM)I45owl Wrote:  Is there any precedence for refusing someone access to the UN? They have to go through LaGuardia, or something like that.

There is. When the Soviet Union shot down a Seoul-Anchorage flight in 1983 the US responded by revoking the license of a Soviet airline to operate in the US.
04-04-2014 05:55 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(04-04-2014 05:20 PM)I45owl Wrote:  Is there any precedence for refusing someone access to the UN? They have to go through LaGuardia, or something like that.

Unsure of the validity, but from a brief search this is what I found

http://www.ejiltalk.org/can-the-united-s...rrest-him/

Quote:“The federal, state or local authorities of the United States shall not impose any impediments to transit to or from the headquarters district of (1) representatives of Members . . . or families of such representatives . . .; (5) other persons invited to the headquarters district by the United Nations . . . on official business.”

Section 12 of the Headquarters agreement makes it clear that provisions of Section 11 are applicable “irrespective of the relations existing between the Governments of the persons referred to in that section and the Government of the United States.” Section 13 then provides that “When visas are required for persons referred to in . . . [Section 12], they shall be granted without charge and as promptly as possible.”

Quote:The UN has consistently taken the view that the UN Charter, the General Convention and the Headquarters provide a nearly absolute obligation for the host state to permit entry to representatives of member states and other persons who are invited to UN meetings on official business. The UN and the member states have rejected the view that the US or other host states can deny entry to representatives of states on grounds relating to disapproval of the state that the person represents or on security grounds. In the 1960s the UN insisted that Pakistan could not deny entry to the representative of Israel to attend a UN meeting. Around the same time the UN Office of Legal Affairs also maintained that African states could not deny entry to representatives of South Africa or Portugal to attend meetings of the Economic Commission for Africa (see the legal opinions and note cited here at p 189). The most famous case of refusal of a visa was the US refusal, in 1998, to grant a visa to Yasser Arafat to attend a meeting of the UN General Assembly (which had to be moved to Geneva). The US alleged that it was not obliged to grant visas in cases where there was a threat to its security. In that episode, the UN Legal Counsel issued a statement (pp. 305-8) to the effect the UN Headquarters agreement did not contain a security reservation that would entitle the US to bar entry to State representatives. This legal opinion was then endorsed by the UN General Assembly in GA Res 43/48 (1988). Thus, there is consensus that the host state does not have the right to deny visas to representatives of member states (or observers), except perhaps in the most compelling case where there is clear evidence that the trip to the UN is to be used in bad faith as a cover for activities contrary to the security of the host state.

So it would appear from this that we do not have the right to deny him a visa. Reason #83645132 why the UN needs to move out of the US.
04-04-2014 06:10 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

I say let him in.....

Under the condition that the second he enters american airspace he is to be blindfolded w/ his hands tied behind his back until he reaches the UN building. From there he must be kept in the UN building at all times. His sleeping arrangements will be a single mattress set up in the basement. When his role in the UN is completed the blindfold and handcuffs go back on until he leaves american airspace.
04-04-2014 07:37 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think we tell them no and tell the UN to f*** themselves. Tell Iran that if he shows up we will kill him.
04-04-2014 08:44 PM
john01992 Offline

(04-04-2014 08:44 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think we tell them no and tell the UN to f*** themselves. Tell Iran that if he shows up we will kill him.

If they make us adhere to this then everyone of them has 24 hrs to GTFO.
04-04-2014 09:17 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Get out of the UN altogether. Solves the Iranian issue, and the bigger one of delegating our sovereignty to a collective of foreign powers that do not act in our our best interests
04-04-2014 09:21 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(04-04-2014 07:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I say let him in.....

Under the condition that the second he enters american airspace he is to be blindfolded w/ his hands tied behind his back until he reaches the UN building. From there he must be kept in the UN building at all times. His sleeping arrangements will be a single mattress set up in the basement. When his role in the UN is completed the blindfold and handcuffs go back on until he leaves american airspace.

Wow, didn't expect that from you. We'll done.04-cheers the only thing I'd change is that he won't be released until Reagan is elected.
04-04-2014 11:19 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(04-04-2014 11:19 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 07:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I say let him in.....

Wow, didn't expect that from you. We'll done.04-cheers the only thing I'd change is that he won't be released until Reagan is elected.

wow rare praise from you.

but seriously, after what this guy did he should never have the right to enter the US. but if we have to take him in lets give him a taste of his own medicine.

On second thought id like to add an oxygen tank requirement that must be on at all times. This prick shouldn't even be allowed to breath american air.
04-04-2014 11:54 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2014 05:55 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

There is. When the Soviet Union shot down a Seoul-Anchorage flight in 1983 the US responded by revoking the license of a Soviet airline to operate in the US.

But that still wouldn't stop the Iranian official from buying a ticket on another airline and flying to the UN. Or having the official travel on an Iranian plane to JFK to attend the UN.

I'm not making any judgment on the facts of the situation. Just stating what those facts are.
04-05-2014 09:16 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
US has denied him a visa.
04-15-2014 08:56 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-15-2014 08:56 AM)VA49er Wrote:  US has denied him a visa.

One small step.
04-15-2014 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.