Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - UHou to hire Kelvin Sampson
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
OT - UHou to hire Kelvin Sampson
I suppose that qualifies as a "splash" hire.
04-02-2014 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
RE: OT - UHou to hire Kelvin Sampson
O/U on years til UH is on probation
04-02-2014 02:47 PM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: HOUSTON
Can't say we don't have the will to win! ; - )
04-02-2014 03:15 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Good hire for them. With their returning roster, they really don't have any excuse not to be in the NCAA's next year. I assume he'll hire his son on his first staff?
04-02-2014 03:33 PM
ShockerBob Offline
SHOCKERS

I Root For: the SHOCKER
The Parliament Awards
(04-02-2014 03:33 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Good hire for them. With their returning roster, they really don't have any excuse not to be in the NCAA's next year. I assume he'll hire his son on his first staff?

Word is that's his first hire.

And another dude that was just at Kentucky but the name is slipping.
04-02-2014 03:38 PM
ShockerBob Offline
SHOCKERS

I Root For: the SHOCKER
The Parliament Awards
Bilal Batley
04-02-2014 04:06 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Sounds like a good fit for UH.
04-02-2014 04:09 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Good hire? I thought he was fired before for violating NCAA rules as a college basketball couch.

Sounds like a good fit for UH.
[/quote]
04-02-2014 05:04 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I guess Dave Bliss isn't available yet. Who did they hire to run their search -- Rick Greenspan?

I'm not a UH hater but this is a baffling choice.
04-02-2014 05:38 PM
Dirty Sanchez Offline
2nd String

I Root For: free beer.
So a guy who had kids ended up murdered on his watch is equivalent of a Coach who made too many calls? The heinous acts of Sampson are now legal, btw. Worst analogy ever.

Kelvin is a fantastic coach, 2 time COACH OF THE YEAR. The only thing baffling is how UofH and their 850 person crowds was able to pull this off.
04-02-2014 06:02 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think Sampson is a heck of a hire for UH. Seriously.
04-02-2014 06:03 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(04-02-2014 06:02 PM)Dirty Sanchez Wrote:  So a guy who had kids ended up murdered on his watch is equivalent of a Coach who made too many calls? The heinous acts of Sampson are now legal, btw. Worst analogy ever.

Kelvin is a fantastic coach, 2 time COACH OF THE YEAR. The only thing baffling is how UofH and their 850 person crowds was able to pull this off.

I don't think Rice would make this hire with even those minor violations on his record. But, because he is tainted with them, he is a highly undervalued commodity. This is similar to the George O'Leary hire by UCF (the analogy here is that what O'Leary did would make me more ... errrr... leery of him even though it is a non-event as far as NCAA governance).

And, of course, for those that missed Gravy's reference, Greenspan famously "fired" (and hired?) Sampson at Indiana...

Indiana, Sampson reach $750,000 settlement to part ways - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3258506 Wrote:"I feel a significant disappointment, first and foremost, for our players," Greenspan said. "I think this is a very difficult thing for them to go through. It's a disappointment for the team, a disappointment for the fans of our university who I think take great pride in having been, for a long time, major infraction-free. But sometimes out of these situations come some very good things and I think that's the only way I can feel about it. We are going to move forward."
04-02-2014 06:32 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(04-02-2014 06:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 06:02 PM)Dirty Sanchez Wrote:  So a guy who had kids ended up murdered on his watch is equivalent of a Coach who made too many calls? The heinous acts of Sampson are now legal, btw. Worst analogy ever.

I don't think Rice would make this hire with even those minor violations on his record. But, because he is tainted with them, he is a highly undervalued commodity. This is similar to the George O'Leary hire by UCF (the analogy here is that what O'Leary did would make me more ... errrr... leery of him even though it is a non-event as far as NCAA governance).

We did hire Greenspan who is stained with the same brush as Sampson. IMO, we can't take the high ground on this one.
04-02-2014 06:34 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

UH is just waiting on the check from the NCAA for UConn being in the Final Four. They will endorse it and send it on to Kelvin for his first payment. Then they will add another student tax to cover another part of the contract. They tried getting donations from the folks at Coogfans and only netted $12.49. There was to be a search party for John Moores but instead they are concentrating on his ex wife and part of her divorce settlement.
http://www.gaslampball.com/2013/10/22/48...lavish-san
04-02-2014 07:38 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

The word you were looking for is hyperbole.

(04-02-2014 06:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  This is similar to the George O'Leary hire by UCF (the analogy here is that what O'Leary did would make me more ... errrr... leery of him even though it is a non-event as far as NCAA governance).

Except that Leary didn't continue to lie on his resume after being caught lying on his resume.

The texts themselves were not a huge deal -- but continuing to do it after he had been caught and punished, and before they were legalized, is the red flag.

(04-02-2014 06:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  And, of course, for those that missed Gravy's reference, Greenspan famously "fired" (and hired?) Sampson at Indiana...

Hired him, then failed to monitor him, then fired him, then blamed the whole thing on the university president, then somehow convinced Rice that he "shares our values," then... well, I think everybody here remembers what happened next.
04-03-2014 12:30 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(04-02-2014 06:03 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think Sampson is a heck of a hire for UH. Seriously.

I agree. Congrats to the Coogs.
04-03-2014 07:23 AM
Advertisement

coogahoopa Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Coogs
(04-02-2014 07:38 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

UH is just waiting on the check from the NCAA for UConn being in the Final Four. They will endorse it and send it on to Kelvin for his first payment. Then they will add another student tax to cover another part of the contract. They tried getting donations from the folks at Coogfans and only netted $12.49. There was to be a search party for John Moores but instead they are concentrating on his ex wife and part of her divorce settlement.

You forgot to mention the ghost of John O'Quinn.

Funnies thing I've read on this board in a while. Well done
04-03-2014 07:55 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-03-2014 07:55 AM)coogahoopa Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 07:38 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

You forgot to mention the ghost of John O'Quinn.

Funnies thing I've read on this board in a while. Well done

You are right...I should have mentioned a car wash by the players raising money to pay a psychic medium (Miss Cleo hasn't been busy in a few years) to contact O'Quinn.03-lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyHiV3l3MA
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 08:18 AM by Tiki Owl.)
04-03-2014 08:08 AM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(04-03-2014 07:23 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 06:03 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think Sampson is a heck of a hire for UH. Seriously.

I agree. Congrats to the Coogs.

+1000
Here is hoping that this make for a fantastic rivalry between Rice and UH!
04-03-2014 09:11 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(04-03-2014 12:30 AM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 06:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  This is similar to the George O'Leary hire by UCF (the analogy here is that what O'Leary did would make me more ... errrr... leery of him even though it is a non-event as far as NCAA governance).

Except that Leary didn't continue to lie on his resume after being caught lying on his resume.

As far as we know.

Granted, but a lie of that nature tells me you can never really trust the guy. Behavior can be fixed easier than trust of this nature, IMHO.

(04-03-2014 12:30 AM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  The texts themselves were not a huge deal -- but continuing to do it after he had been caught and punished, and before they were legalized, is the red flag.

Details I was unaware of...

(04-03-2014 12:30 AM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 06:32 PM)I45owl Wrote:  And, of course, for those that missed Gravy's reference, Greenspan famously "fired" (and hired?) Sampson at Indiana...

Hired him, then failed to monitor him, then fired him, then blamed the whole thing on the university president, then somehow convinced Rice that he "shares our values," then... well, I think everybody here remembers what happened next.

yep... technically, Sampson resigned at Greenspan's request, but...
04-03-2014 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.