Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rivalry
Bookmark and Share
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
Rivalry
So I got to thinking with Louisville now out of the conference who is going to be our marquee game of the year in football and bball. For some reason I just don't feel like the UC Memphis game will pick up that much speed in either sport. Here are my rankings for top 3.

Overall:
1)Uconn- I feel like our two schools are the two name brands of this conference. Both are normally competitive if both sports and have history of big east.
2)Memphis-people want this to be a big rival in bball which it could end up but for some reason I don't see it being as big as some people think.
3)USF-Same reasons as Uconn mainly because I feel past history helps a lot. I feel their football will get good again here soon and bball we have always struggled with them.

Football:
1)ECU-I feel like our two teams will be the top two on a yearly basis battling for the conference championship. Both teams will have a great stadium and solid fan support. A few close games will really get it going.
2)USF-again mainly fueled by competition and a good history of games.
3)Uconn-see USF

Bball:
1)Uconn-Kevin Ollie is a fantastic coach and he and Cronin will go head and head for recruits,wins,and conference championships. History is a plus.
2)Memphis-obvious rival game between similar schools. But like this year I feel pastner is a few years away from consistently stepping up to the table and having great games. I feel like his teams lose the big games mainly by a good amount or if they do win they win in a big amount. Hard to create rivalries without great games.
3)smu/USF/Houston/temple-smu because of recent success,USF until we can handle them,Houston based on possible future success,temple based on historic success

I know UCF is left out but I feel like USF is gonna be the better team out of the two and that USF had history with us

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 11:50 AM by natibeast21.)
04-02-2014 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Rivalry
I stuggle to see a true rival in this conference.

IMO I can't think of any other real "rivalry" in college athletics that are not bound by some geographic proximity. Regardless of how competitive the two schools are on the field/court, there has to be some local bragging rights involved. We had some great baskeball battles with Memphis back in the Great Midwest/C-USA days, but I wouldn't have classified it as a rivalry.

04-02-2014 12:34 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Losing Louisville (for as much as I loved to root against them) is a huge blow to this program and to the AAC.

Our true rival going forward in this minor league is ourself.

We will have to challenge our athletic teams to compete above our funding capabilities. We will have to challenge our fan base to become UCATS donors, and those current donors to step up to do more. Our marketing staff will have to challenge themselves to find more creative ways to bring new fans in the fold. (All incredibly hard tasks under the circumstances.)

And those of us that understand the real trouble UC will be in athletically if AAC membership lasts more than a couple of years, need to challenge UC's leadership to get focused about conference affiliation, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to put this University back into the major leagues.

04-02-2014 12:49 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Memphis in basketball, long time rival and history

I would think UCF could be the FB rival if they stay at the top.

04-02-2014 01:03 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-02-2014 12:49 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Losing Louisville (for as much as I loved to root against them) is a huge blow to this program and to the AAC.

We will have to challenge our athletic teams to compete above our funding capabilities. We will have to challenge our fan base to become UCATS donors, and those current donors to step up to do more. Our marketing staff will have to challenge themselves to find more creative ways to bring new fans in the fold. (All incredibly hard tasks under the circumstances.)

And those of us that understand the real trouble UC will be in athletically if AAC membership lasts more than a couple of years, need to challenge UC's leadership to get focused about conference affiliation, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to put this University back into the major leagues.

Losing a strong rival is never good, but I don't think it is a huge blow. AAC is by far the best conference outside of P5, with or without Ville.

04-02-2014 01:07 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-02-2014 12:49 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Losing Louisville (for as much as I loved to root against them) is a huge blow to this program and to the AAC.

Well said. Along with the obvious financial ramifications of the Big East collapse, losing Louisville, Pitt and West VA remains a big blow. I enjoyed my visit to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl but it's just too far to go for a basketball game; football maybe, but still a lot of driving. The ACC would restore Pitt and UofL; the B12 West Virginia. It still needs to get done and I'm a big believer the wheel spins again after the Maryland settlement.

04-02-2014 01:09 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Curious, if you are UC do you quietly approach TV partners of Big 12 and see if they are open to helping?

04-02-2014 01:18 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(04-02-2014 01:18 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Curious, if you are UC do you quietly approach TV partners of Big 12 and see if they are open to helping?

Yes! Every possible path must be taken.

04-02-2014 01:23 PM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Donators
(04-02-2014 01:03 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Memphis in basketball, long time rival and history

I would think UCF could be the FB rival if they stay at the top.

x2

I also see Uconn in basketball

04-02-2014 01:35 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-02-2014 01:23 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 01:18 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Curious, if you are UC do you quietly approach TV partners of Big 12 and see if they are open to helping?

Yes! Every possible path must be taken.

Yes X 2. UC was already "outed" publicly and castigated by the AAC commish for seeking greener pastures. So I don't think they even need to be very discreet about it. Pitt, UofL and WVA were all open about their desire to leave the Big East. Last time I checked, they're in a better place now.

04-02-2014 01:36 PM
dossbig Offline
1st String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
Rivalries take time to develop. I hope we never have any in the AAC.

04-02-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
ECU is a rival? Most of our fans could not tell you in what city it is located.

Welcome to life in the AAC.

04-02-2014 02:38 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I have said it before, but...

I think UConn is our immediate rival in both BB and FB.

I would like to see a rivalry kindled with Temple. I think UC and Temple have a lot in common, sometimes commonality makes the best rivalry.

As to the rest? MEH! I don't really regard any one else in this conference as "rivalry worthy."

04-02-2014 02:41 PM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
I would say UCF could be a great football rivalry. Unfortunately, you have to actually play each other to be rivals. 03-banghead

04-02-2014 03:49 PM
dossbig Offline
1st String

We have some common characteristics but we have little history against each other. Large public school in large metro with lots of pro sports. They have cheese steak we have Skyline. They are in an eastern city and we are Midwest. Do any Temple fans travel to games at UC or vice versa? Do UC fans say "I hate Temple" or the reverse? If they ever are an FB rival we are in deep crap.
(04-02-2014 02:41 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I have said it before, but...

I think UConn is our immediate rival in both BB and FB.

I would like to see a rivalry kindled with Temple. I think UC and Temple have a lot in common, sometimes commonality makes the best rivalry.

As to the rest? MEH! I don't really regard any one else in this conference as "rivalry worthy."

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 05:38 PM by dossbig.)
04-02-2014 05:30 PM
FenderStratCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
UConn and Memphis feel plausible in BB. In FB however, I just don't see one developing in the next few years. A rival is more than just the two best teams in a conference at the time, or even a few times. Add the long distances between the AAC schools and the fact that we don't play every school (UCF 2x) makes it look like there just won't be one in FB for the near future. But if I'm forced to pick an AAC member, then it's USF (assuming they elevate close to where they were.)

edit: yes I'm pretty sure they beat us last year in a cloud of sucky play by both teams.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 07:00 PM by FenderStratCat.)
04-02-2014 06:58 PM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
(04-02-2014 02:38 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  ECU is a rival? Most of our fans could not tell you in what city it is located.

If you haven't been to Greensboro and a FB game at ECU I would strongly recommend it. Great fans, great atmosphere. One of the best road trips I have taken... only fans I have found more hospitable have been Memphis fans.

As far as a rival they whipped the Bearcats more times than not in CUSA and have a program that has beaten P5 teams many times. One of the reasons I enjoyed my trip so much is the Bearcats were something like 0-12 0r 1 - 12 vs ECU and won the game I attended.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/

04-03-2014 08:18 AM
dossbig Offline
1st String

Individual Game Results of Cincinnati (vs East Carolina), 1869-2013
UC has won the last 3.
Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
9/25/2004 @ *East Carolina (2-9) W 24 19
9/1/2003 vs. *East Carolina (1-11) W 40 3
12/6/2002 @ *East Carolina (4-8) W 42 26
11/10/2001 vs. *East Carolina (6-6) L 26 28
11/13/1999 @ *East Carolina (9-3) L 34 48
11/5/1998 vs. *East Carolina (6-5) L 21 24
11/13/1997 @ *East Carolina (5-6) L 7 14
10/7/1995 vs. East Carolina (9-3) W 13 10
10/29/1994 @ East Carolina (7-5) L 21 35
11/20/1993 vs. East Carolina (2-9) W 34 14
10/17/1992 @ East Carolina (5-6) L 21 42
11/23/1991 vs. East Carolina (11-1) L 19 30
10/20/1990 @ East Carolina (5-6) L 32 56
9/16/1989 vs. East Carolina (5-5-1) L 14 21
11/19/1988 vs. East Carolina (3-8) L 14 49
10/10/1987 @ East Carolina (5-6) L 28 56
11/15/1986 @ East Carolina (2-9) L 19 32

Back to Win % Form Football Home Records Home

(04-03-2014 08:18 AM)Crewdogz Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 02:38 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  ECU is a rival? Most of our fans could not tell you in what city it is located.

If you haven't been to Greensboro and a FB game at ECU I would strongly recommend it. Great fans, great atmosphere. One of the best road trips I have taken... only fans I have found more hospitable have been Memphis fans.

As far as a rival they whipped the Bearcats more times than not in CUSA and have a program that has beaten P5 teams many times. One of the reasons I enjoyed my trip so much is the Bearcats were something like 0-12 0r 1 - 12 vs ECU and won the game I attended.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/

04-03-2014 09:46 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 10:01 AM by Crewdogz.)
04-03-2014 09:59 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(04-02-2014 06:58 PM)FenderStratCat Wrote:  UConn and Memphis feel plausible in BB. In FB however, I just don't see one developing in the next few years. A rival is more than just the two best teams in a conference at the time, or even a few times. Add the long distances between the AAC schools and the fact that we don't play every school (UCF 2x) makes it look like there just won't be one in FB for the near future. But if I'm forced to pick an AAC member, then it's USF (assuming they elevate close to where they were.)

edit: yes I'm pretty sure they beat us last year in a cloud of sucky play by both teams.

I tend to agree with this. While the AAC may have some good teams on a year to year basis, its hard to imagine feeling a true rivalry with any of the football teams. Just dont see it happening.

04-03-2014 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.