Pursue the Big East, drop to FCS in football
Tell the MAC hat they've changed their minds
[Show Results]

What should UMass do?
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
What should UMass do?
Now that the MAC has called them out, what should they do with their football and basketball? I assume for purposes of this poll that the American is not going to extend an invite.
04-01-2014 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
RE: What should UMass do?
I voted for stay in A10, pursue SBC for football. I think at some point they are going to have to consider dropping back down, but that will take a change in administration which hasn't happened yet.

I also think they get the nod by the AAC in the unlikely event that UConn gets the P5 nod in the next two years.
04-01-2014 02:50 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I don't know that my answer fits neatly into your poll but I think Massachusetts needs to defecate or abdicate when it comes to playing big time college football.

Playing major college football is a very expensive proposition and it requires a rock solid long term commitment to have any chance to succeed. Now, it can be a rewarding proposition but it is definitely going to require a greater level of commitment than the UMass brass has thus far been willing to demonstrate.

I think playing their how games two hours East in Foxborough is about as bush league as it gets. Of course you are going to have attendance problems. Foxborough is too far for UMass students to travel to and that will always be your core audience.

[Image: 0.jpg]

The line of BS they were selling was that most of their alums live in Boston so they wanted to play closer to those folks. However, Foxborough is still about a half hour outside of Boston so who are you really placating there? Maybe if UMass played its games at Fenway or even at UMass Lowell it would work but I doubt it.

I think they have two realistic choices:
1.) Build a 25-35K seat stadium in Amherst and market the hell out of the football program. Really commit to it like neighboring UConn committed to its football program.

Before
[Image: 2902591191_ea384e3790_o.jpg]

After
[Image: uconn.jpg]

If they do Option 1 and really commit to an FBS level football program, I think they will ultimately get an invitation to the AAC, and from there who knows? UConn is still awaiting its call up to the big leagues so maybe that gives you your answer right there?

2.) Give up the ghost and drop football altogether. It doesn't make any sense to play FCS football. It's just a major financial loser on every level. If UMass dropped football or even moved it to FCS, it would almost certainly become an immediate target for the Big East.

Personally, I think UMass has about the same potential to succeed as UConn. The problem is UConn has a decade or so head start on the Minutemen. Also, I'm not sure that New England has enough prospects to support those two plus Boston College - which had a seven or eight decade head start on UConn. Hell, I'm not sure that there are enough players in that part of the country to support BC alone much less BC and two others?

As such, I would drop football if I were UMass and focus on other sports. However, if they believe that a big time football program is essential to their growth as an athletic department and as a university as a whole, then they really need to commit to it rather than half arsing it as they have been doing for the past several years.

[Image: uma1.jpg]

[Image: mcguirk6.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 03:20 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
04-01-2014 03:11 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(04-01-2014 02:39 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Now that the MAC has called them out, what should they do with their football and basketball? I assume for purposes of this poll that the American is not going to extend an invite.

Honestly, that was the only option I looked for in your poll. Otherwise, their rejection of the MAC makes little sense. I think they will be a part of the AAC immediately after the MAC contract is up.
04-01-2014 04:32 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(04-01-2014 04:32 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 02:39 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Now that the MAC has called them out, what should they do with their football and basketball? I assume for purposes of this poll that the American is not going to extend an invite.

Honestly, that was the only option I looked for in your poll. Otherwise, their rejection of the MAC makes little sense. I think they will be a part of the AAC immediately after the MAC contract is up.

i 2nd this^^^^
04-01-2014 05:28 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(04-01-2014 05:28 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

i 2nd this^^^^
Makes sense for UMASS but not the AAC why would they care?
04-01-2014 05:59 PM
Advertisement

lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
Re: RE: What should UMass do?

The only way that happens if the A-10 collapse .

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk
04-01-2014 06:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The AAC theory ignores that the AAC just over a year ago completed its TV negotiations and undoubtedly put a number of schools before the TV folks, and they added Tulsa about 6 weeks after getting the deal done. With UMass sitting in the MAC football only there is no reason UMass wasn't one of those names considered.

For all the speculation that UConn would fight UMass, there is no way the other members would care about UConn's possible objection if it means more money and exposure for them. I'm sure AAC has had the conversation again with TV and if it works, it will happen.
04-01-2014 06:49 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(04-01-2014 06:49 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  The AAC theory ignores that the AAC just over a year ago completed its TV negotiations and undoubtedly put a number of schools before the TV folks, and they added Tulsa about 6 weeks after getting the deal done. With UMass sitting in the MAC football only there is no reason UMass wasn't one of those names considered.

For all the speculation that UConn would fight UMass, there is no way the other members would care about UConn's possible objection if it means more money and exposure for them. I'm sure AAC has had the conversation again with TV and if it works, it will happen.

arkstfan, I'm putting my money on at least one existing AAC team being on the way out when UMass would be coming in. There are good arguments on both sides, especially when it comes to TV contract terms, but my gut feeling is that there will be minor changes to and from the AAC by then.
04-01-2014 09:05 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
What should UMass do?
And I bet the southern schools fight UMASS
04-01-2014 09:13 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(04-01-2014 06:23 PM)lance99 Wrote:  

The only way that happens if the A-10 collapse .

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

UMass would join the AAC before they finished asking the question

*edit.
That said I think football only in the SBC is most likely.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 09:22 PM by Minutemen429.)
04-01-2014 09:19 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-01-2014 09:05 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 06:49 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  The AAC theory ignores that the AAC just over a year ago completed its TV negotiations and undoubtedly put a number of schools before the TV folks, and they added Tulsa about 6 weeks after getting the deal done. With UMass sitting in the MAC football only there is no reason UMass wasn't one of those names considered.

arkstfan, I'm putting my money on at least one existing AAC team being on the way out when UMass would be coming in. There are good arguments on both sides, especially when it comes to TV contract terms, but my gut feeling is that there will be minor changes to and from the AAC by then.

If the AAC loses a team or two I think there is likely to be a battle royale within the league. If Cincinnati goes that's it for Midwestern teams and no real pressure to go back to the region that sets the stage for an east/west fight.
04-01-2014 09:27 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Drop back down.

There is nothing wrong with UMass, the problem is with the location and the importance of football in it.
04-01-2014 09:30 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(04-01-2014 09:13 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  And I bet the southern schools fight UMASS

I don't know if schools fight UMass. If Connecticut felt it was important for the American to have Massachusetts, I am sure the other schools would listen.
04-01-2014 11:20 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(04-01-2014 11:20 PM)chess Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 09:13 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  And I bet the southern schools fight UMASS

I don't know if schools fight UMass. If Connecticut felt it was important for the American to have Massachusetts, I am sure the other schools would listen.

... just before voting a resounding NO. The Dr. summed it up quite nicely. The only reason I voted stay in the A10 and drop to FCS was that there was no option for dropping football altogether. UMass might have some limited potential in a minor FBS conference if the commitment was there, but it's not.

The southern schools have no reason to add a UMass if UConn were to leave. IIRC, that would make Temple the northernmost school, so any decent addition would be south of that (unless you think Buffalo would be a decent addition). UMass has no history, no fan support and no administrative support. Can we please get off UMass as a serious contender for a spot in any relevant football conference? No one, including the SBC, should want them.
04-01-2014 11:52 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I honestly think Umass can save it's program if they join the Sun Belt.

They can compete with Idaho, NMSU, Georgia State right away. If they make a habitt of scheduling a terrible FCS team, and some lower level MAC teams they could be a 4-6 win team many years.

But if I were Umass I would be counting down the days until Jim Tressel can coach again.
04-02-2014 12:39 AM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Unfortunately UMass will probably mess around and let the Sun Belt fill up their 12th team position
and then be without any conference willing to take them. Just way too expensive to play an independent
schedule, so would imagine they will drop down to FCS if that happens.
04-02-2014 03:23 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-01-2014 04:32 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Honestly, that was the only option I looked for in your poll. Otherwise, their rejection of the MAC makes little sense.
They weren't going to fight the BBall supporters on a move from a multi-bid conference to a single bid conference.

And the Atlantic 10 was not just a multi-bid conference this year, those bids included the last non-FBS school left standing in the tournament. The A10 is several steps above the MAC level in the sense that the A10 could lose several of their best schools and still be a multi-bid conference. The step down in BBall was just too steep.

Quote: I think they will be a part of the AAC immediately after the MAC contract is up.
The American isn't offering. There's no guarantee that the Sunbelt is offering, but it seems like JMU is reluctant to join the Sunbelt all-sports, so there may be an opening. The Sunbelt would only be interested in UMass FB-only, due to the travel costs for Olympic sports, and UMass would only be interested in FB-only, since post-raids, Sunbelt BBall is even worse than the MAC's, so there's a potential for a meeting of minds there.

If the Sunbelt spot isn't open, or if UMass wants to turn up its nose at the Sunbelt, that leaves playing as an independent.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 03:30 AM by BruceMcF.)
04-02-2014 03:27 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I think an AAC invite is at least 10 years away. Even though U Mass is in a Major population State, there has been almost Zero Football investment within that program. AAC is trying to build a Name brand that someday could bring back a P6 Status. U Mass, like Villanova Football would be a severe step backwards towards that goal. I could easily see USM added Long before UMass as even though They have been down in recent years They do have a track record in Football. And They are in the AAC footprint.
I say the absolute best option for UMass is CUSA if They would have a program that far North.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 04:55 AM by CardFan1.)
04-02-2014 04:54 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(04-01-2014 09:27 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 09:05 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

If the AAC loses a team or two I think there is likely to be a battle royale within the league. If Cincinnati goes that's it for Midwestern teams and no real pressure to go back to the region that sets the stage for an east/west fight.

Not sure I follow your logic.

I do agree that there's virtually no chance of UMass landing an AAC invitation unless the conference loses a member. But I don't see an east/west fight if Cincinatti leaves. It seems to me that the east/west fight comes if UConn leaves.

Like the MWC, the AAC appears to be comfortable with its 12/11 structure that provides divisional balance for football and scheduling flexibility for basketball. So if the AAC loses Cincinatti or UConn, I think the key consideration in picking a replacement will be rebalancing the divisions in football.

Right now the AAC is lined up to have six clearly eastern football members, five clearly western football members, and Cincinatti able to go either way and apparently slated for the west. So if Cincinatti were to leave, the priority would be to backfill the western football division opening. Likely candidates would be La Tech, USM and maybe UTSA. UMass would be out of the picture.

Now if UConn were to leave, I see an east/west fight being possible, since Cincinnati could stay in the west if an eastern addition were preferred, or slide over to the east if a western addition were preferred. The door would be open to consider not only the aforementioned western candidates, but also eastern schools like Marshall, Ohio, ODU and UMass.

Looking at those options, I wouldn't rule UMass out. It has flagship status, strong hoops, a big alumni base, and proximity to a major urban market. If it can solve its stadium problem, I see UMass as being more desirable than LaTech, USM, Marshall and Ohio. I think it would come down to a choice between UTSA, ODU and UMass, with the final selection being determined by (a) which was looking most solid in football at the time, and (b) whether Cincinnati's priority was to shift east for football (sorry UMass) or bring in a strong basketball replacement for UConn (congratulations UMass).

But again, if Cincinnati were the one to leave, I don't see an east/west fight. The AAC would look to backfill football in the west and UMass would be out of the picture.
04-02-2014 07:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.