Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas preview - the "I'm in charge now" edition
temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
Walt asked me to post a preview for the game against Texas. Seriously. Walt warned me that it would take a lot of time to do proper research, which unfortunately, I have not had. Therefore, this preview is for entertainment purposes only.

After possibly the worst week of the season so far, our Rice owls need to dig deep and bounce back against a highly regarded Texas team (Top 10 in ISR and RPI and Top 20 in SoS). Tuesday’s game is the time to right this ship and get it back on the road to Omaha.

Our best hope is that the team was thoroughly broken by this past week’s poor results. If so, them maybe they can finally get past their stubborn REFUSAL to play baseball the way that the college game was meant to be played, with great patience and discipline.

Texas will start a left-handed pitcher and we will likely see several more lefties come out of the bullpen. We will continue to face lots of lefties until we end our REFUSAL to bat effectively against them. Maybe we will see some righties mixed in for variety. This means that we should show discipline at the plate and REFUSE to swing at the first pitch unless it is big fat juicy pitch right down the middle of the strike zone.

The Texas line-up has KNOWN OFFENSIVE FLAWS (above and beyond just being Longhorns). Their OBP is really low. This should give our mid-week pitchers a chance to shine. However, the Texas batters could still be dangerous. Our pitchers should be aggressive and work on getting ahead in the count. We should not get wild, because free passes only lead to trouble.

I found some other information on Texas during my research but I determined that it did not add any additional value, so I left it out.

In summary, this is a chance for our Owls to show their true grit and put the naysayers to bed with a knock-out punch.

Go Owls.

Just kidding, Walt. I really do appreciate the information you pull together and present in your previews. Where is the real Texas preview?
03-31-2014 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Go Owls. Refuse to lose. Nuff said.
03-31-2014 06:35 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Texas preview - the "I'm in charge now" edition
Well played, temchugh!

Since I try to make my previews upbeat and positive, I tend to skip doing them after miserable weeks. Besides, I simply have not had the time the past 24 hours to get one done for tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll find the time to prepare one for the upcoming ECU series before I depart to Houston on Friday morning.
03-31-2014 08:16 PM
temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
(03-31-2014 08:16 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Well played, temchugh!

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night.
03-31-2014 08:32 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Wow saw the thread title and thought somebody had tried to assassinate Walt!
03-31-2014 10:54 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-31-2014 10:54 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Wow saw the thread title and thought somebody had tried to assassinate Walt!

I wonder what percentage of the population would pick up on your Reagan - Haig reference.
03-31-2014 11:05 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
I may have posted this before in another thread but will repeat.

Kacy Clemens (Roger's son from Spring Branch Memorial) is getting most of the AB's at first base. IMHO, he was a plus pitcher in high school but just above average as a hitter. I never thought he would be a position player in college.

He hasn't embarrassed himself, but he is largely a singles hitter. I do think he is decent with the glove.

But his presence in the lineup as a true freshman suggests to me that Texas is at a relative minimum in offensive capability.
04-01-2014 01:16 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(03-31-2014 11:05 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(03-31-2014 10:54 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Wow saw the thread title and thought somebody had tried to assassinate Walt!

I wonder what percentage of the population would pick up on your Reagan - Haig reference.

Travis Reagan and Rick Hague?
04-01-2014 06:38 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's the game notes from the UT site...

http://www.texassports.com/news/2014/3/3...41129.aspx

...It's Duplantier vs. JUCO Transfer RHP Schiraldi, who has allowed one run or fewer in five of his last six starts (vs. Tx St x 2, UT-Pan Am, TAMU-CC, Valparaiso, Dallas Baptist)...

6 starts, 4-1, 33.0 IP, 2.45 ERA, .180 BAA, 20 hits (only 2 for xtrabases), 16 BBs, 2 HBP, 15 Ks

...appears to be a ground ball pitcher (and UT is amongst the national leaders in doubleplays turned), who issues more walks than strikeouts, though he's only averaging one free pass per IP. Definitely not a strikeout pitcher.

The Longhorns come into Reckling winnings of seven of their last 8 games, having just beaten Tech on the road for their first Big 12 series win in two year. Overall, they're 22 - 7 (5-3 on road, 11-5 vs. Top 50, 20-7 vs. Top 100, #2 ISR, #5 RPI, #9 SoS). Here's there schedule/results to date...
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/schedule/Texas

Typical of an Augie-coached UT team, their resurgence on the national scene is on the backs of elite pitching (amongst the national leaders in across-the-board stats), defense (.980 fielding percentage, 38% caught stealing, only 3 passed balls) and the skilled deployment of small ball (national leading 45 sac bunts, 26-33 SBs).

Offensively they're hitting .267/.356/.353 as a team, with 7 HRs, 48 doubles/triples and averaging just 4.7 runs per game (though they've upped it to 6.7 runs/game over last eight games). Sr Mark Payton is the one guy you cannot let beat you (.402/.516/.569, 1 HR, 9 doubles/triples, 20 RBIs, 5-5 SBs). They do strikeout a lot, but that's largely because, as with any Augie team, they really work the count.

On the mound, the staff stats are outstanding: .198 ERA, .218 BAA, but only 1.68 K:BB ratio.

Here's their individual and team state over their first 29 games...
http://www.texassports.com/cumestats.asp...&year=2014

If we try to constantly pull Schiraldi's off-speed stuff, we're just going to play into his game of hitting ground ball after ground ball. Need to go the opposite field against this guy if we are to be successful.

And with need Jon D. to step up big time on the big stage and pound the strikezone. Let's put the debacle in Musfreesboro in the rear view mirror, and regain the confidence and swagger with a big mid-week win over our hated rival. Go Owls!
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 08:57 AM by waltgreenberg.)
04-01-2014 07:51 AM
Advertisement

MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
Schiraldi is a junior. juco transfer.
04-01-2014 08:19 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-01-2014 08:19 AM)MemOwl Wrote:  Schiraldi is a junior. juco transfer.

Thanks. Corrected.
04-01-2014 08:23 AM
gmath Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Owls and Horns

And son of Calvin Shiraldi, U.T. pitcher on 1983 CWS championship team (with Roger Clemens) and pitched in the pros (on Red Sox with Clemens again, 1986 World Series).

Sorry to miss tonight but I'll be at opening day seeing the 'Stros and Yankees. That A.L. thing still seems so strange to me.
04-01-2014 09:50 AM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(04-01-2014 09:50 AM)gmath Wrote:  

And son of Calvin Shiraldi, U.T. pitcher on 1983 CWS championship team (with Roger Clemens) and pitched in the pros (on Red Sox with Clemens again, 1986 World Series).

Sorry to miss tonight but I'll be at opening day seeing the 'Stros and Yankees. That A.L. thing still seems so strange to me.

After watching both of them in college, I was a much bigger Schiraldi (sp?) fan. Shows you what I know...
04-01-2014 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Count me in! That was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.
04-01-2014 11:29 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-31-2014 11:05 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  I wonder what percentage of the population would pick up on your Reagan - Haig reference.
(04-01-2014 01:16 AM)MemOwl Wrote:  Kacy Clemens (Roger's son from Spring Branch Memorial) is getting most of the AB's at first base.
(04-01-2014 07:51 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  ...It's Duplantier vs. JUCO Transfer RHP Schiraldi,

It's 80s day at the ballpark!

(04-01-2014 11:29 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
Count me in! That was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Now, now...
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 01:31 PM by I45owl.)
04-01-2014 01:31 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(04-01-2014 11:29 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

I thought of...

04-01-2014 01:34 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(04-01-2014 10:10 AM)13thOwl Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 09:50 AM)gmath Wrote:  

After watching both of them in college, I was a much bigger Schiraldi (sp?) fan. Shows you what I know...

You were right at the time. Schiraldi was the #1 pitcher at UT when he was there. He was the fan favorite, too.
04-01-2014 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.