Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rule Changes
Bookmark and Share
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Rule Changes
There are a few rules that I hope the NCAA takes a look at in the offseason. Basically pet peeves. There's probably more that needs to change.

1) Tell the timekeepers to get their heads in the game. How many times do the refs have to go and look at the monitor because the clock didn't start, the clock didn't stop, the shot clock wasn't reset, the shot clock was reset when it wasn't supposed to? Maybe at least once a game.

2) They need to tighten up the replay procedure. It's great that they want to get it right. But, it shouldn't take 5 minutes to put 3 seconds back on the clock.

3) Loosen up the hand check and flagrant foul rules.

4) Shot clock violations. Only call it if the offensive team gets the rebound or there's a scramble for the ball when it doesn't touch the rim. If the defensive team clearly rebounds it, let them play on.

5) My biggest peeve. TV timeouts. Maybe have it 5 minutes instead of 4 and eliminate one per half. Plus, if a team takes a timeout out under the scheduled time for a timeout, that timeout automatically is a full timeout and is also the TV timeout. I'm just tired of getting a called timeout at 15:30, commercial break, back to the game, 5 seconds played, some sort of deadball, then another timeout. I've hated that rule for a while. I'm pretty sure they experimented with it with the women this year, and I hope they do it for the men next. But, since this would cut into commercial time, I doubt it will.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 02:28 PM by STexMiner.)
03-30-2014 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Funslinger Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Rule Changes
My one pet peeve is allowing a team to call a timeout after they make a basket. The ball is still live after a made basket as the other team can inbound and start a fast break. The NBA doesn't allow timeouts after made baskets unless they are called by the team in possession of the ball. It should be the same way in college ball.

Allowing coaches to call a timeout after scoring a basket allows them to situation substitute (bring in defensive player to replace top scorer) down the stretch. That should only be allowed after deadball situations.
03-30-2014 05:32 PM
MU42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(03-30-2014 02:27 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  There are a few rules that I hope the NCAA takes a look at in the offseason. Basically pet peeves. There's probably more that needs to change.

1) Tell the timekeepers to get their heads in the game. How many times do the refs have to go and look at the monitor because the clock didn't start, the clock didn't stop, the shot clock wasn't reset, the shot clock was reset when it wasn't supposed to? Maybe at least once a game.

2) They need to tighten up the replay procedure. It's great that they want to get it right. But, it shouldn't take 5 minutes to put 3 seconds back on the clock.

4) Shot clock violations. Only call it if the offensive team gets the rebound or there's a scramble for the ball when it doesn't touch the rim. If the defensive team clearly rebounds it, let them play on.

5) My biggest peeve. TV timeouts. Maybe have it 5 minutes instead of 4 and eliminate one per half. Plus, if a team takes a timeout out under the scheduled time for a timeout, that timeout automatically is a full timeout and is also the TV timeout. I'm just tired of getting a called timeout at 15:30, commercial break, back to the game, 5 seconds played, some sort of deadball, then another timeout. I've hated that rule for a while. I'm pretty sure they experimented with it with the women this year, and I hope they do it for the men next. But, since this would cut into commercial time, I doubt it will.

I agree with most if not all of what you are saying, but we are lucky there are only 4 tv timeouts per game. TV pays the bills so they will never lessen it. The reviews are killing me. I have found myself turning games off when they go to review. I'll just see the highlights rather than set through 30 minutes of reviews. If they do it during this Michigan/UK game I'll turn it off. It's not like my Herd is playing so I don't care much anyway.
03-30-2014 05:49 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(03-30-2014 05:32 PM)Funslinger Wrote:  My one pet peeve is allowing a team to call a timeout after they make a basket. The ball is still live after a made basket as the other team can inbound and start a fast break. The NBA doesn't allow timeouts after made baskets unless they are called by the team in possession of the ball. It should be the same way in college ball.

Allowing coaches to call a timeout after scoring a basket allows them to situation substitute (bring in defensive player to replace top scorer) down the stretch. That should only be allowed after deadball situations.

Actually the ball is dead once it pass through the net until it is in a players hands out of bounds.
03-30-2014 11:10 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

(03-30-2014 02:27 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  There are a few rules that I hope the NCAA takes a look at in the offseason. Basically pet peeves. There's probably more that needs to change.

LOL.. I guess you do not know that the refs keep the time by starting a pack on their waist, and the clock stops when the whistle blows, except for the last minute of the game. That's the problem with a lot of the "fans", they don't know what they are talking about most of the time. The refs are actually checking for a pack malfunction or their own mistake.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 08:56 AM by nastybunch.)
03-31-2014 08:51 AM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-31-2014 08:51 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  

LOL.. I guess you do not know that the refs keep the time by starting a pack on their waist, and the clock stops when the whistle blows, except for the last minute of the game. That's the problem with a lot of the "fans", they don't know what they are talking about most of the time. The refs are actually checking for a pack malfunction or their own mistake.

Sorry. I don't read Modern Referee Quarterly. Whatever it is, they need to fix it.
03-31-2014 08:43 PM
Advertisement

cdsniner Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Charlotte
Since we are talking about pet peeves how about making inbounders actually get all the way out of bounds after a made basket before throwing the ball in. I have seen several guys throw the ball in straddling the baseline without even attempting to get out of bounds and the ref is looking right at it and just ignores it.
03-31-2014 08:50 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
I hate that the ten second count resets if you are trapped and forced to call a timeout with 9 seconds on the count. Many on your list bother me too. Replays need to be fixed. Get the call right, but if it takes 5 minutes, it probably isn't real clear.
03-31-2014 10:25 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(03-31-2014 08:50 PM)cdsniner Wrote:  Since we are talking about pet peeves how about making inbounders actually get all the way out of bounds after a made basket before throwing the ball in. I have seen several guys throw the ball in straddling the baseline without even attempting to get out of bounds and the ref is looking right at it and just ignores it.

Whats funny is I saw that called in person twice this season against opposing teams against WKU. Also had at least 1 lane violation on FT attempt almost every single game, which is also rare for the refs to actually call.
04-01-2014 12:58 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Replays should stop all together for everything but a clock mistake or a intention foul (F1-F2). It stops the flow of the game and gives a team time to regroup if they are in a panic. What's to say a play with 2 minutes and 1 second is not just as important as one under 2 minutes. For that matter any wrong call can affect a games outcome.
04-01-2014 01:25 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
The one rule change I would like to see is fouls on inbounds play. If a player is fouled before the ball is inbounded then it should be an automatic intentional foul with 2 shots and the ball. As it is right now a team can foul with no time running off the clock and there could be no foul shots.
04-01-2014 01:43 PM
Advertisement

Rojogrande Offline
1st String

That is the rule in the NBA right now. If you foul before the inbound pass is made. The opposing team gets a FT and the ball.
04-01-2014 01:50 PM
FriscoDawg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I would be for resuming the original 10-second count if over 5 seconds left or a count reset to 5 seconds if under 5 left if the ball has to be brought inbounds in backcourt for any reason other than a defensive foul.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 09:29 PM by FriscoDawg.)
04-01-2014 09:29 PM
MichealBond Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU and AAC
I'd like to see a shorter shot clock. Either 28 or 30 seconds. 35 is simply too long.
04-02-2014 08:17 AM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(03-30-2014 11:10 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 05:32 PM)Funslinger Wrote:  My one pet peeve is allowing a team to call a timeout after they make a basket. The ball is still live after a made basket as the other team can inbound and start a fast break. The NBA doesn't allow timeouts after made baskets unless they are called by the team in possession of the ball. It should be the same way in college ball.

Actually the ball is dead once it pass through the net until it is in a players hands out of bounds.

Negative. The ref is required to handle the ball during deadball situations. After a made basket, the ball is still live as the ref isn't required to handle the ball. A player may scoop it up and quickly inbound it to start a fast break. After all, the clock is still running in that situation unless there are under 5 seconds left.

The only time, outside of the last five seconds, that the clock is stopped after a made basket is when the ball caroms away from the court. If the ball were not still live in that situation then why can players be called for a delay of game by knocking the ball away or grabbing the ball to prevent an opposing player from quickly inbounding it?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 02:56 PM by Funslinger.)
04-04-2014 02:42 PM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(03-31-2014 08:50 PM)cdsniner Wrote:  Since we are talking about pet peeves how about making inbounders actually get all the way out of bounds after a made basket before throwing the ball in. I have seen several guys throw the ball in straddling the baseline without even attempting to get out of bounds and the ref is looking right at it and just ignores it.

As soon as both feet are off the court and one is down out of bounds, they are considered out of bounds. If both feet haven't left the court then play should be stopped and the team forced to inbound the ball properly.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 03:03 PM by Funslinger.)
04-04-2014 02:46 PM
Advertisement

FriscoDawg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(04-04-2014 02:42 PM)Funslinger Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 11:10 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  

After all, the clock is still running in that situation unless there are under 5 seconds left.
The clock does not stop at all after a made basket in the first half, and it stops on a field goal made inside the last 60 seconds of the second half or any overtime.
04-04-2014 06:48 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
1) If a player hits another across the head in an attempt to shoot, they should be carded with a yellow, and if it happens a 2nd time, red card and out of the game.

2) Intentional fouls should put a guy in the penalty box for 2 minutes, forcing the team to play short-handed.

3) Holding another guy's jersey means 10 yards.

4) Pay the opposing team's mascot $5 for every missed free throw.

5) Each coach is allowed one trojan horse substitution per game whereby they can bring in a player wearing the other team's uniform who'll act like they're playing for the other coach, but score for the coach who put 'em in.

6) If you hit all your free throws in a game despite the best efforts of the opposing cheerleaders to make noise and distract, you get a free hookup after the game with one of 'em. Hopefully they're not Texas A&M Aggie yell leaders.

7) Mascot fight before every game. The losing mascot's team has to play barefoot for the first 5 minutes.

8) Chess game between two blondes at center court for halftime entertainment.

9) Every time a player is called for traveling, one of that team's coaches must leave the arena.

10) One minute shot clock in the first half. Ten second shot clock in the second half.
04-05-2014 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Funslinger Offline
All American

(04-05-2014 09:20 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  1) If a player hits another across the head in an attempt to shoot, they should be carded with a yellow, and if it happens a 2nd time, red card and out of the game.

2) Intentional fouls should put a guy in the penalty box for 2 minutes, forcing the team to play short-handed.

5) Each coach is allowed one trojan horse substitution per game whereby they can bring in a player wearing the other team's uniform who'll act like they're playing for the other coach, but score for the coach who put 'em in.

6) If you hit all your free throws in a game despite the best efforts of the opposing cheerleaders to make noise and distract, you get a free hookup after the game with one of 'em. Hopefully they're not Texas A&M Aggie yell leaders.

7) Mascot fight before every game. The losing mascot's team has to play barefoot for the first 5 minutes.

9) Every time a player is called for traveling, one of that team's coaches must leave the arena.

10) One minute shot clock in the first half. Ten second shot clock in the second half.

No to all ten. Well, all except for number 8. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 11:05 AM by Funslinger.)
04-06-2014 11:04 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(04-06-2014 11:04 AM)Funslinger Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 09:20 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  1) If a player hits another across the head in an attempt to shoot, they should be carded with a yellow, and if it happens a 2nd time, red card and out of the game.

No to all ten. Well, all except for number 8. 07-coffee3

Now what kind of "Funslinger" are you anyway?

[Image: df85j.gif]
04-06-2014 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.