Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Press Conference
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Press Conference
Just ended (and yes why was it subscriber only).

Coach was a little awed but handled things well. Already have seen and heard more about his family than we ever did with Braun. To me it just shows the program will be more open and visible to the Rice fans and outside of Rice.

He met the team at 6 a.m. this morning (team was there at the presser) and will work out later today. Stresses the intensity they will play at. Reminded everyone that when VCU was here for the Final Four they practiced at Rice.

Family had a chance to walk through campus today. Emphasized repeatedly academics.

Said they wanted to recruit locally and in Texas. Said that if players wanted to leave Houston and Texas they would have to go through Rice first (of course providing they would qualify at Rice).

All in all pretty good start.
03-27-2014 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Press Conference
Good to hear.

Does anyone have any idea on when we would start hearing about current players transferring? I assume that we will probably see at least one or two leave with the coaching change.
03-27-2014 04:33 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2014 04:29 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Just ended (and yes why was it subscriber only).
Coach was a little awed but handled things well. Already have seen and heard more about his family than we ever did with Braun. To me it just shows the program will be more open and visible to the Rice fans and outside of Rice.
He met the team at 6 a.m. this morning (team was there at the presser) and will work out later today. Stresses the intensity they will play at. Reminded everyone that when VCU was here for the Final Four they practiced at Rice.
Family had a chance to walk through campus today. Emphasized repeatedly academics.
Said they wanted to recruit locally and in Texas. Said that if players wanted to leave Houston and Texas they would have to go through Rice first (of course providing they would qualify at Rice).

Academics plus 94 foot basketball. Sounds like our kind of guy, Tiki.
03-27-2014 04:37 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I think any decision would be made later after the players and new staff have had some time together. When the mass exodus happened several years ago we began hearing whispers fairly quickly but since this is a new staff I think it will be longer. I chuckled when Rhoades mentioned they were going to work out today...that should be the first introduction to what it will be like for the players (and while it may not be as eye opening as the Toad's first practices I think it will definitely be different certainly since Rhoades takes an active part on the floor...he mentioned Smart had him on second team at practices and that he lost two teeth last year).

No mention of assistant coaches or the supposed signing of Scott Pera...one of the things I would be curious about is have they contacted the Kentucky recruit already and was he sort of kept in the loop during the coaching search. Any chance he recommits ....but with P5 schools now calling I think it is a long shot but one we should definitely go after.
03-27-2014 04:39 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2014 04:37 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 04:29 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Just ended (and yes why was it subscriber only).

Academics plus 94 foot basketball. Sounds like our kind of guy, Tiki.

Definitely....got to love a sort of hockey look and mentality in his approach to the game...wear people down, always aggressive. Heck maybe even "putting on the foil Coach".

Rhoades: "I'm going to sweat with my guys (in practice). We're going to jump in there."
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 04:56 PM by Tiki Owl.)
03-27-2014 04:41 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Thanks for the summary.
03-27-2014 04:49 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 04:56 PM by Tiki Owl.)
03-27-2014 04:52 PM
wrysal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2014 04:33 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Good to hear.

Does anyone have any idea on when we would start hearing about current players transferring? I assume that we will probably see at least one or two leave with (or without) the coaching change.

FIFY
03-27-2014 04:52 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Good quotes (via twitter):
"We all know the #HAVOC style at VCU, and we want to play like that."

"We will play an exciting style of basketball that people will want to see."

"Our plan and process will take care of the result."

Especially love that last one.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 04:56 PM by Brookes Owl.)
03-27-2014 04:56 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(03-27-2014 04:33 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Good to hear.

Does anyone have any idea on when we would start hearing about current players transferring? I assume that we will probably see at least one or two leave with the coaching change.

Any kid who wouldn't want to play for this guy is a goofball. No one will leave. Lets go win it all!
03-27-2014 05:07 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It looks like most of the team was at the press conference so that's a good sign.

I like the comments from Coach Rhoades and others here. My only negative comment (perhaps) is that Coach Rhoades doesn't appear likely to knock Willis Wilson off any of the best dressed coach lists. And we might have to teach him the proper Rice blue to wear for his tie.
03-27-2014 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2014 04:56 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  "Our plan and process will take care of the result."

Especially love that last one.

Amen.
03-27-2014 05:16 PM
Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice
(03-27-2014 04:29 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Already have seen and heard more about his family than we ever did with Braun.

Braun used to sit courtside at WBB games with his little son, who would goof around with the WBB team and with the band and generally put smiles on peoples faces. I'll miss that.

Fort Bend Owl Wrote:I like the comments from Coach Rhoades and others here. My only negative comment (perhaps) is that Coach Rhoades doesn't appear likely to knock Willis Wilson off any of the best dressed coach lists. And we might have to teach him the proper Rice blue to wear for his tie.

First thought on seeing this picture was "We just hired Woody Harrelson? Awesome!"
03-27-2014 05:22 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2014 05:22 PM)Klobasnek Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 04:29 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  Already have seen and heard more about his family than we ever did with Braun.

Braun used to sit courtside at WBB games with his little son, who would goof around with the WBB team and with the band and generally put smiles on peoples faces. I'll miss that.

Fort Bend Owl Wrote:I like the comments from Coach Rhoades and others here. My only negative comment (perhaps) is that Coach Rhoades doesn't appear likely to knock Willis Wilson off any of the best dressed coach lists. And we might have to teach him the proper Rice blue to wear for his tie.

First thought on seeing this picture was "We just hired Woody Harrelson? Awesome!"

03-lmfao
03-27-2014 05:24 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: Press Conference
A few images (from twitter) :

[Image: Bjw3SwOCMAAFImw.jpg]

[Image: Bjw3EECCMAAiSoX.jpg]

[Image: Bjw1JqPCMAA0J8y.jpg]

[Image: Bjwy2iWCUAEWoe_.jpg]
03-27-2014 05:27 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Good looking family. Welcome to all!
03-27-2014 05:29 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

MyBB RE: Press Conference
wish we could have made this presser free for viewers like with the Braun resignation. Would think that they'd like to have as many people see and hear the new coach since interest is low right now.

Would love more specific details of what was said and the general tone/feel beyond the twitter quotes if any of you have more to share.

It does appear we have us a real basketball coach here of a sort we haven't for a while. Looking forward to watching this guy work and grow here at Rice!
03-27-2014 05:36 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(03-27-2014 04:39 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  ... Rhoades takes an active part on the floor...he mentioned Smart had him on second team at practices and that he lost two teeth last year).

Definitely true:

[Image: rhodes-tooth.jpg?w=500&h=666]
03-27-2014 05:57 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(03-27-2014 05:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  My only negative comment (perhaps) is that Coach Rhoades doesn't appear likely to knock Willis Wilson off any of the best dressed coach lists. And we might have to teach him the proper Rice blue to wear for his tie.

I don't have any negative comments about how Dr. K handled this or about Coach Rhoades at all right now. I'm impressed with what I have seen. I don't know that the clothes helped improve Willis' record that much. For all I care right now, Rhoades could dress like this if he got the same results:

[Image: BobbyKnight.jpg][Image: 9270595-large.jpg][Image: 773f5e5dc7a0c4bf2960adf8b02a439a.jpg]
03-27-2014 05:59 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-27-2014 05:59 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 05:11 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  My only negative comment (perhaps) is that Coach Rhoades doesn't appear likely to knock Willis Wilson off any of the best dressed coach lists. And we might have to teach him the proper Rice blue to wear for his tie.

I don't have any negative comments about how Dr. K handled this or about Coach Rhoades at all right now. I'm impressed with what I have seen. I don't know that the clothes helped improve Willis' record that much. For all I care right now, Rhoades could dress like this if he got the same results:

[Image: BobbyKnight.jpg][Image: 9270595-large.jpg][Image: 773f5e5dc7a0c4bf2960adf8b02a439a.jpg]

But if he wears a basketball uniform on the court, won't people confuse him with the players . . . . . . .. Rimshot
03-27-2014 06:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.