Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Our new ad adresses issues again Mentions La Tech
Bookmark and Share
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Our new ad adresses issues again Mentions La Tech
Bill Mcgillis was just on a Jackson ms espn affiliate. I have copied a capsule from another board of what he said. I have a feeling BB's seat is about to get warmer over in Dallas.

The guy who host the 4-6 show, John ????, has really been pretty fair to us especially compared to any other local on this ESPN station, so John has Bill come on and he asks Bill what he thought about the game and about USM being left out of the Dance. Well bill takes off and John never got a chance to talk again. Bill was on fire!! He starts by saying how everywhere the team has gone in the post season the folks, have bragged about how good and tough we are. The Minnesota announcer told him after the game that we were the toughest team has seen play them at Minnesota in years. Then he really starts going off and you can hear the fire and "pissed off" message in his voice. He says the first thing that needs to happen is that the local media need to start recognizing how dang good we are and start giving some attention to our program. He was ticked about how from Jackson to the coast the media ignores USM. Then he goes off on CUSA and the folks at that office and how he wants to meet one on one soon with the Judy lady who represented CUSA in the selection process, the commissioner, and anybody else!. Pretty much that it is a joke how they represent us and la tech for that matter. Then he goes after the national media folks and starts calling out names of folks that took jabs at us and then said he wanting to invite them down to watch the Missouri foils and other games so they can critique the games and see with their own eyes how good we are. He called out the whole process of selection and didn't mince words. He was on fire! Then as the music was p,aging to go to commercial, he kept talking and talking paying no attention to it and said that here at USM we aren't going to rebuild we are just going reload and 25 wins will be the norm for USM and Donnie Tyndell!!! He had me fired up with his fire and emotion and passion and you could tell it was real and he didn't care who it pissed off!!!!
03-26-2014 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Our new ad adresses issues again Mentions La Tech
Wonder if he's referring to our AD Judy Rose?

She used to be on the NCAA selection committee, so I could see her having a role representing CUSA.
03-26-2014 06:13 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

No its one of BB's assistants in the league office. This was her second year on the committee.
03-26-2014 06:17 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Liking Billy Mac more & more...Now if EVERY AD would speak up on behalf of the conference - as it's evident Banowsky is incapable of - it'd go a long ways.
Ole Britt is a prime example of someone coasting too long in a lucrative, somewhat secure position.
If Tom Jurich was interested, the conference should go after him.
03-26-2014 06:35 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

Here's a link to the full interview. Couldn't get it to work on my phone.
USM AD Bill McGillis intrrview
03-26-2014 06:40 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I appreciate his fire, but to some extent I disagree about how all of this works. You can't push your way into the tournament using moral suasion. You can't hector the locals into respecting you. It all has to be earned, and it's not our job to decide what's necessary to earn the things we want. That's determined outside USM and outside CUSA. I like Bill's fire, though, and I hope that behind the scenes he's applying it to the really big problems we face, e.g. getting to the point where we don't have to rely on BB and his flunkies.
03-26-2014 06:53 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Judy MacLeod. Former AD at Tulsa
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 06:58 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
03-26-2014 06:57 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

(03-26-2014 06:53 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I appreciate his fire, but to some extent I disagree about how all of this works. You can't push your way into the tournament using moral suasion. You can't hector the locals into respecting you. It all has to be earned, and it's not our job to decide what's necessary to earn the things we want. That's determined outside USM and outside CUSA. I like Bill's fire, though, and I hope that behind the scenes he's applying it to the really big problems we face, e.g. getting to the point where we don't have to rely on BB and his flunkies.

I like how Bill talked about what the conference needs to do, then what Southern Miss will do. This man sounds like a leader. We need leadership at Southern Miss. He and Dr. Bennett are very visible at every event, and seem to be going hard for Southern Miss.
03-26-2014 07:22 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

(03-26-2014 06:57 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Judy MacLeod. Former AD at Tulsa

Tulsa the AAC school. Time to heat up her seat.
03-26-2014 07:23 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Good interview and very honest answers from the Southern Miss AD.
03-26-2014 07:32 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Weren't the same complaints levied on this board about her last year as well?
03-26-2014 07:37 PM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(03-26-2014 07:37 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Weren't the same complaints levied on this board about her last year as well?

Yes, they were, but you have to remember, we're just fans that the "spokesmen" for C-USA doesnt' give a damn about.

And yes, I think he's referring to Judy McLeod...

Heck, we thought that changed with someone who said they were the "digital spokesman" for the c-USA Digital network had actually claimed that they were listening to some of our arguments last year about things that we thought C-uSA was doing wrong.

We see what they thought of our opinions, don't we?

And Andre.. let me ask you something. Name one local paper or tv station that makes USM their focal point of college sports? Hell, when WDAM (the TV station IN HATTIESBURG) makes their focal point MSU and Ole Miss... doesnt' that tell you something?

USM gets BETTER press from the Alabama media than we ever get from any of the damn Mississippi media outlets.
03-26-2014 09:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(03-26-2014 06:53 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I appreciate his fire, but to some extent I disagree about how all of this works. You can't push your way into the tournament using moral suasion. You can't hector the locals into respecting you. It all has to be earned, and it's not our job to decide what's necessary to earn the things we want. That's determined outside USM and outside CUSA. I like Bill's fire, though, and I hope that behind the scenes he's applying it to the really big problems we face, e.g. getting to the point where we don't have to rely on BB and his flunkies.

^this^

And I might add, win, win, win. It's the only thing that gets anyone's attention or respect.
03-26-2014 10:14 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2014 09:26 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(03-26-2014 07:37 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Weren't the same complaints levied on this board about her last year as well?

Yes, they were, but you have to remember, we're just fans that the "spokesmen" for C-USA doesnt' give a damn about.

And yes, I think he's referring to Judy McLeod...

Heck, we thought that changed with someone who said they were the "digital spokesman" for the c-USA Digital network had actually claimed that they were listening to some of our arguments last year about things that we thought C-uSA was doing wrong.

We see what they thought of our opinions, don't we?

And Andre.. let me ask you something. Name one local paper or tv station that makes USM their focal point of college sports? Hell, when WDAM (the TV station IN HATTIESBURG) makes their focal point MSU and Ole Miss... doesnt' that tell you something?

USM gets BETTER press from the Alabama media than we ever get from any of the damn Mississippi media outlets.
There have been some recent changes. After the story of AA's parents arrest and how wdam connected it to usm (even with him being at om) a few well known alums ripped Mr Swan and those above him to the point there has been a noticeable change. Well that and WHLT has made us the focal point and was kicking their tails.
The daily crayola even has undergone a change. The week before el paso, the american actually overkilled it. The sunday before the tourney began every section had a southern miss basketball article on its front page. Jason Muntz is turning out to be the absolute best beat writer we have ever had. Its all positive. None of the negative spin we were used to from Patty magee. Heck Patty has even changed.
03-26-2014 10:55 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2014 10:14 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

^this^

And I might add, win, win, win. It's the only thing that gets anyone's attention or respect.

I disagree with where you disagree. 04-cheers He's not saying to hector the locals in respecting us. And you have to look at the history of Southern Miss sports, and not just one sport when you're talking about the local coverage. Southern Miss has earned, or at least should have earned more respect than what they have gotten from the local media over the last 40 years. So he's talking about sitting down with them, getting to know them, and educate them on why we do deserve more respect. The locals are just a bunch of SEC goofs (for the most part)
regurgitating what the national media or SEC believes. Btw, this is where I believe our past ADs had failed miserably. We need someone that will get out there and not be afraid to push Southern Miss. Hell, I wish he'd rattle the cage at the CUSA office even more. Tell them they can either do a better job of promoting the conference or he'll be taking the lead to replace the entire bunch. The local media has the SEC so far up their a$$, we have to have someone with some fire. The point is - the one he's making in my opinion - is that the local media doesn't even pay attention enough to know if we deserve more respect. It the local media recognizes a little earlier that Southern Miss really had something special, and changed their coverage, maybe the national media would start paying attention a little earlier instead of it being the other way around.
03-27-2014 09:04 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Sure you can heckle your way in, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Being quiet hasn't helped a bit, or liking Johnson's stupid play calling....
03-27-2014 10:02 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(03-27-2014 09:04 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  Btw, this is where I believe our past ADs had failed miserably. We need someone that will get out there and not be afraid to push Southern Miss. Hell, I wish he'd rattle the cage at the CUSA office even more. Tell them they can either do a better job of promoting the conference or he'll be taking the lead to replace the entire bunch.

And from the short conversation I was fortunate enough to have with him, i get the feeling this is exactly what he's going to be doing.
03-27-2014 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I liked it. I hope he sticks around for a few years.
03-27-2014 12:03 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
There should be a concerted effort of ALL the conference schools to pressure the Commissioner's office in promoting the conference, particularly in basketball. It's sad when ONE AD has to do the lifting of an entire conference, when the highly paid Commissioner isn't.
Fans should write/email/call their AD, President, & local sportswriters.
Fear can be an effective catalyst at times, & it's obvious BB hasn't had motivation in quite awhile.
03-27-2014 12:50 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-27-2014 12:50 PM)AtlantaEagle Wrote:  There should be a concerted effort of ALL the conference schools to pressure the Commissioner's office in promoting the conference, particularly in basketball. It's sad when ONE AD has to do the lifting of an entire conference, when the highly paid Commissioner isn't.
Fans should write/email/call their AD, President, & local sportswriters.
Fear can be an effective catalyst at times, & it's obvious BB hasn't had motivation in quite awhile.

fk email....in person works wonders.... 03-wink ...scratched off the bucket list a couple of months ago....
03-27-2014 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.