Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football divisions
Bookmark and Share
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Football divisions
When does Charlotte start CUSA play?

I assume they will join the East Division. Which current East Division school will move west? UAB? MTSU? WKU?

Thanks.
03-22-2014 02:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Football divisions
Charlotte will be in CUSA football in '15

UAB most likely moving west.
03-22-2014 02:28 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
With the potential change in requirements for conference football championship games from the ACC proposal, divisions may become a non-issue. Putting the 2 best teams in the champ game regardless of division and not requiring schools to play everyone in their division changes things quite a bit.
03-22-2014 09:10 AM
Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

I hope we keep divisions. I kind of like the whole East vs. West thing as another way to help develop rivalries.
03-22-2014 10:35 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-22-2014 10:35 AM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  I hope we keep divisions. I kind of like the whole East vs. West thing as another way to help develop rivalries.

Yep, and it avoids having 3-4 undefeated in league teams.
03-22-2014 11:55 AM
fresnofanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: fresno state
Simple remedy that no one wants so it won't happen.

- Fox takes tier-1 tv contract.

- CBS/ESPN takes a strong tier-2 tv contract....more like a 1a tier with each network getting some "first round tv picks" from Fox.

-- Total TV revenue for Mega-CUSA covers: pie-splitting, extra travel, basketball credits, Access Bowl payouts, plus a bit more to cover near-future "stipends" and other decisions made by Power-5 conferences....now any basketball credits and bowl season winnings will be icing on the cake and Mega-CUSA > AAC.

" * " denotes "football-only"

Pacific Division: *Hawaii / San Jose / Fresno / San Diego / UNLV / Nevada / Boise

West Division: Utah St / Wyoming / Colo St / Air Force / New Mexico / UTEP / UTSA

Eastern Zipper Div Red: UNT / LaTech / WKU / FIU / *Army / ODU / GA State

Eastern Zipper Div Blue: Rice / USM / MTSU / FAU / Marshall / Charlotte / UAB

- Basketball divisions of 13 teams each...play 12 games in division and 4 cross division games.

- For conference basketall tourney, 13th team in each division left out. Have 2 regional tournaments to get down to final 2 in each region then a "CUSA Final 4" at a rotating central location.

- Football CCG tournament = 4 division winners, 3 games over 2 weekends.

- For Tier-3 tv, have ESPN, CBS and Fox all pitch in to make the "CUSA Channel" for all sports.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 12:00 PM by fresnofanatic.)
03-22-2014 11:59 AM
Advertisement

fresnofanatic Offline
Special Teams

(03-22-2014 09:10 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  With the potential change in requirements for conference football championship games from the ACC proposal, divisions may become a non-issue. Putting the 2 best teams in the champ game regardless of division and not requiring schools to play everyone in their division changes things quite a bit.

Which would make things better for my reply I just posted a few minutes ago concerning a (Mega)-C-USA...

Pacific Div: *Hawaii / SanJose / Fresno / SDSU / UNLV / Nevada / Boise / Utah St

West Div: Wyo / Colo St / Air Force / New Mexico / UTEP / UTSA / UNT / Texas St

Central Div: Rice / ASU / ULL / LaTech / USM / WKU / MTSU / GA State

East Div: *Army / Buffalo / Marshall / ODU / Charlotte / UAB / FIU / FAU

GA State in central puts UAB in east. UAB being long time member gets that dealio.

Now TV deal will have to cover pie-splitting for 32 teams, vice 28 in my original Mega-CUSA post a few minutes ago, but, adding Buffalo, ASU, Texas St and ULL as the next-4-in should cover that.

Basketball now has 2 15-team divisions, playing 14 games in division and 2 cross-division (now only 1 cross country trip during conference basketball sched).

Sunbelt now...

Idaho (football only)
New Mexico St (football only)
ULM
USA
Troy
GA Southern
Appy St
UTA <oly only>
UALR <oly only>

If Sunbelt survives, i'll be amazed!!!.....probably get down from a group-of-5 to a group-of-3 with all this and the MAC, AAC and CUSA can now split the Access Bowl payouts 3 ways instead of 5.

MAC maybe saves FBS status for NMSU, ULM, Appy, GASouthern, USA and Troy....making them the MAC's 3rd 6-team division for football only???.....and Sunbelt makes NMSU a full member for their good basketball and maybe picks up a couple other good non-football members for their basketball????
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 12:41 PM by fresnofanatic.)
03-22-2014 12:20 PM
fresnofanatic Offline
Special Teams

Concerning my last two posts, it is plausible that the American and CUSA will both go "Mega" should there be another round of conference shuffling.

American would probably get the best 28 or 32 teams, but CUSA's 28/32 will not be far behind....especially in the biggest money maker of college football.

Could be that Mega-American and Mega-CUSA will have some sort of "football tv contract exchange", where the networks give each of the 2 Mega-group-of-2 conferences so much tv revenue per year, and each network does a lottery type picking in the off-season, of which football games from these 2 Megas gets aired on their respective network(s).

As long as we all make more revenue to account for pie-splitting and "stipend type stuff coming down the pike", I will be pleased....not jumping for joy, but, pleased that we will all be able to cover "stipend type stuff coming down the pike" and still have "access" in major FBS post season play and revenues.

As it stands now, there are 64 non-power-5 FBS members (including BYU and Army)....if UCONN?, Cincy?, USF?, UCF?, top couple/few MW members? get picked up by a Power-5, there might be somewhat decent money to be made in 2 coast-to-coast (28 to 32 team) conferences, vice staying as separate gang-of-4or5 conferences....or....we all hang separately.

With the ACC/Big12-pimped rules changes possibly happening....these 2 "mega" conferences would probably be for football only, or, at least each havin a healthy dose of football only members.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:21 PM by fresnofanatic.)
03-22-2014 12:51 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
I think CUSA and Sun Belt will merge at some point and the divisions will look something like this:

Great Southwest:

West : New Mexico State, UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Texas State
East: ULM, ULL, Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, UAB

American East:

North: Marshall, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, MTSU, WKU, Appalachian State
South: Troy, South Alabama, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, FIU, FAU

The Sun Belt and CUSA already share the same geography as it is. It makes sense to merge and divide ourselves along geographic lines. This way, even a cross-divisional game is in your region. It would be better for fans and students and the rivalries would be great.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:10 PM by Afflicted.)
03-22-2014 01:01 PM
RougeDawg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(03-22-2014 01:01 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  I think CUSA and Sun Belt will merge at some point and the divisions will look something like this:

Great Southwest:

I would rather move to the Southland if that ever happened.
03-22-2014 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(03-22-2014 01:17 PM)RougeDawg Wrote:  
(03-22-2014 01:01 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  I think CUSA and Sun Belt will merge at some point and the divisions will look something like this:

Great Southwest:

I would rather move to the Southland if that ever happened.
Y'all can't run forever.
03-22-2014 01:22 PM
Advertisement

fresnofanatic Offline
Special Teams

Great Southwest:

American East:

The Sun Belt and CUSA already share the same geography as it is. It makes sense to merge and divide ourselves along geographic lines. This way, even a cross-divisional game is in your region. It would be better for fans and students and the rivalries would be great.

That looks pretty decent to me.

If ACC/Big12 get their wishes to "deregulate" conference scheduling and football CCGs, and, Fox/CBS and maybe 1 more 2nd tier network are willing to supply the cash to offset pie-splitting and make up for "stipend type stuff".....I'd say, "go for it!".

Not like there's much power difference between the 5 non-power FBS conferences, so, this CUSA would more than compete for the Access Bowl against the other non-power FBS conferences.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:30 PM by fresnofanatic.)
03-22-2014 01:26 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(03-22-2014 01:26 PM)fresnofanatic Wrote:  

Great Southwest:

American East:

That looks pretty decent to me.

If ACC/Big12 get their wishes to "deregulate" conference scheduling and football CCGs, and, Fox/CBS and maybe 1 more 2nd tier network are willing to supply the cash to offset pie-splitting and make up for "stipend type stuff".....I'd say, "go for it!".

Not like there's much power difference between the 5 non-power FBS conferences, so, this CUSA would more than compete with the other non-power FBS conferences.
That's the way I see it. G5 members are just trying to keep their collective heads above water. In that kind of environment, you've got to save as much money on travel as possible and make as much money as you can on game day. Merging and making these divisions geographically sound would go a long way in achieving that. Fans love rivalries against other regional universities and they love to drive to games. It's win-win.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:35 PM by Afflicted.)
03-22-2014 01:33 PM
meangreener Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNT
If the Sun Belt and CUSA merge and we end up in a conference with people like ULM, Texas State, Appalachian, Troy, South Alabama and Georgia State, I think half of the CUSA schools (including us) should call it quits. This is a no win game.

I can tell you, if we end up in a conference with any of these schools in the near future, I can't be a fan of NT football anymore, because it just makes you the butt of every joke by schools in better conferences.

These (with the exception of Appalachian State) are schools with very low budgets who are easily poached, can't draw flies when they're good (if they ever have been good), have no history, are not academically very good and have to drop money from the ceiling to get people to come to their games (and still nobody came Georgia State.)

There's no point in shelling out nearly $1 million dollars like we did to our coach and assistants to be playing ULM. Period.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:45 PM by meangreener.)
03-22-2014 01:35 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

That's funny, because some of those Sun Belt schools may feel the same way about playing some of the CUSA members. It wasn't that long ago that you guys were in the Sun Belt, right? What has happened over the last two years that makes you guys so much better than any of them? It could be just rumors I've heard, but I understand that North Texas has had problems getting their own stadium filled, and that's during a great season. Who among us doesn't have problems filling stadiums? Only ODU. And aside from Rice, who's academic reputations are stellar? No one.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:54 PM by Afflicted.)
03-22-2014 01:45 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Correction please! ODU has sold out every single home game they've played since inception, 4 years now and I guarantee we'll sell out every game this year.
03-22-2014 01:48 PM
Advertisement

meangreener Offline
1st String

(03-22-2014 01:45 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  That's funny, because some of those Sun Belt schools may feel the same way about playing some of the CUSA members. It wasn't that long ago that you guys were in the Sun Belt, right? What has happened over the last two years that makes you guys so much better than any of them? It could be just rumors I've heard, but I understand that North Texas has had problems getting their own stadium filled, and that's during a great season. Who among us doesn't have problems filling stadiums? No one.

The year that ULM beat Arkansas then NEARLY beat Baylor AT HOME on ESPN...they averaged 19,359.

Let's see, they lost to Baylor, then won the next two games, and then 16,000 people came to the game.

We, however, win 4 games in a row and 26K come to our games.

Attendance is just one gear in a whole transmission that needs to keep us away from all the schools I just listed.

We left the Sun Belt for a reason, because it was KILLING our program. You cannot maintain a winning atmosphere when you play teams like ULM. Plain and simple.

See: North Texas 2006-2010.

Furthermore, once again, ULM began as a Junior College, is a regional university (US News, Forbes and Princeton), has a 91% acceptance rate, has a grand total of 1 program ranked in US News' top 100 graduate programs and a 4 year graduation rate of 13%.

To compound on this, their budgets are lower than quite a few FCS programs.

The bowl in 2012? First bowl ever.

Do you really want to be aligned with them?

At least with UTSA they're a young school and a young program.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:55 PM by meangreener.)
03-22-2014 01:52 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(03-22-2014 01:48 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Correction please! ODU has sold out every single home game they've played since inception, 4 years now and I guarantee we'll sell out every game this year.
Excuse me. Allow me to modify my post, as I have been so misinformed and uneducated on this matter.
03-22-2014 01:53 PM
meangreener Offline
1st String

(03-22-2014 01:53 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  
(03-22-2014 01:48 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Correction please! ODU has sold out every single home game they've played since inception, 4 years now and I guarantee we'll sell out every game this year.
Excuse me. Allow me to modify my post, as I have been so misinformed and uneducated on this matter.

You're misinformed on a lot of matters if you think NT, WKU, MTSU, UTSA, Southern Miss, Rice, LTech, etc would ever align themselves with a school like ULM or South Alabama.

Make no mistake, at THIS POINT in time, sure, Sun Belt and CUSA are similar on the field. But budgets, attendance, academic performance, reputation and overall clout; there's a mountain in between.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 01:57 PM by meangreener.)
03-22-2014 01:56 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

(03-22-2014 01:52 PM)meangreener Wrote:  
(03-22-2014 01:45 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  That's funny, because some of those Sun Belt schools may feel the same way about playing some of the CUSA members. It wasn't that long ago that you guys were in the Sun Belt, right? What has happened over the last two years that makes you guys so much better than any of them? It could be just rumors I've heard, but I understand that North Texas has had problems getting their own stadium filled, and that's during a great season. Who among us doesn't have problems filling stadiums? No one.

The year that ULM beat Arkansas then NEARLY beat Baylor AT HOME on ESPN...they averaged 19,359.

Let's see, they lost to Baylor, then won the next two games, and then 16,000 people came to the game.

We, however, win 4 games in a row and 26K come to our games.

Attendance is just one gear in a whole transmission that needs to keep us away from all the schools I just listed.

We left the Sun Belt for a reason, because it was KILLING our program. You cannot maintain a winning atmosphere when you play teams like ULM. Plain and simple.

See: North Texas 2006-2010.

Wow! 26K? You guys should be in the SEC. And you cannot maintain a winning atmosphere when you play and lose to teams like ULM. If your program is so much better, just demolish them every year.
03-22-2014 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.