Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

My heart is breaking
Bookmark and Share
memphisgirl1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Tigers
My heart is breaking
I just desperately need some prayers sent my way for my aching heart today. Last night my little pom Hunter passed away with my husband and I by his little side. We found out about 3 weeks ago that what we thought was a collapsing trachea he was being treated for, was also right side heart failure. Over the last couple of weeks in spite of the heart meds and steroids the vet had him on, he continued to swell bigger and bigger in his abdomen. The vet increased the Lasix meds but it didn't make a difference. For the last couple of days he wouldn't eat anything, and was so swollen in his stomach and back legs that he couldn't even walk. Last night we just laid by him comforting him and telling him how much we loved him and what a great dog he had been for 12 years. He was struggling to breathe and my husband told him it was ok, he could go and he laid down on his side on the blanket (which he had not been able to do the last couple of weeks due to all the fluid) and he closed his eyes and was gone that fast.
Now I have the very difficult task of telling my daughter her little guy is gone. We got him for her when she was in 2nd grade and she is now in her 2nd year of college at UNLV. She has been gone on spring break and she comes home tonight and my heart is breaking thinking of telling her this. At least I can take some comfort in the fact that we didn't have to make the decision to put him to sleep...he made that choice himself. He went so peacefully and I know that is a blessing. Hunter was a small dog with a big, feisty personality who loved life so much , and his home and family. He loved walks, and going to the park, and chasing the birds. This house and my heart both feel so empty today
03-21-2014 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.
RE: My heart is breaking
I'm so sorry. They are such a big part of our lives.
Hope that today's tears become tomorrow's smiles in remembrance.

Do take care.

~WB
03-21-2014 03:39 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
I'm so very sorry to hear this. I know the pain all too well. I always found solace that when I lost a beloved pet, it meant that God intended me to find another one that needed me even more, and one day I could romp forever with all of them. My prayers go out to you and your family.
03-21-2014 03:51 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. My dog got sick last year, and I cried for a solid week, thinking I was going to lose her. She pulled through, thank God.

They are such a big part of our lives. God give you peace and grace when you tell your daughter. I think you will find that although your daughter will be just as sad as you are, it will be a comfort to you to have her home to grieve with you all.

Keeping you all in my prayers. Your little dog is running free today and you will see him again.
03-21-2014 03:52 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
I'm sorry for the loss of your pet. They truly are family members in every sense of the word.
I lost one myself recently.
I had a atrial fibrillation bout on February 12. I went in to the hospital..and they turned me loose on February 14.
When I got home..I discovered that my 4 1/2 year old pet Algernon had passed away.
I will be praying for your family's comfort. God bless.
03-21-2014 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memphisgirl1 Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank you so much for all the beautiful words, and prayers for my family and I. I really appreciate them and they mean the world to me. Having a rough time tonight, as everywhere I look I still see my little Hunter's face. I know he is at peace now and happy and healthy again, but the ache in my heart is so overwhelming and would give anything to have had more time with him.
03-21-2014 09:05 PM
Tres Hombres Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
Our pets bring peace, joy and heartache into our world like no other living thing can. They love us and depend on us for everything and in return, we make them a member of our family. When they die, it is as bad or worse than losing a family member. You always think you don't want another pet but the minute the new dog comes into your life, you feel that same love that you had with your old pet.
03-21-2014 09:25 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-21-2014 09:25 PM)Tres Hombres Wrote:  Our pets bring peace, joy and heartache into our world like no other living thing can. They love us and depend on us for everything and in return, we make them a member of our family. When they die, it is as bad or worse than losing a family member. You always think you don't want another pet but the minute the new dog comes into your life, you feel that same love that you had with your old pet.

To memphisgirl1, I am sorry. Your beloved dog knows that he was loved by you and your family. It pains me to read your story because I can feel the pain in your heart. This happened to me too and I sought solace in this place. And TB helped with that.

To Tres Hombres, I can't say it better. You know how it's said that the worst thing in life is to have to outlive a child? For pet lovers, we have to do this more often than not. And it sucks. But the times we spend with them and care for them and make them happy, is worth the pain. You will reunite, memphisgirl1.
03-21-2014 09:39 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Very sorry for your loss.
03-21-2014 10:41 PM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline

Donators
(03-21-2014 09:05 PM)memphisgirl1 Wrote:  Thank you so much for all the beautiful words, and prayers for my family and I. I really appreciate them and they mean the world to me. Having a rough time tonight, as everywhere I look I still see my little Hunter's face. I know he is at peace now and happy and healthy again, but the ache in my heart is so overwhelming and would give anything to have had more time with him.

You will. I firmly believe that.
03-21-2014 11:40 PM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Sorry to hear about Hunter. Sounds like Hunter had a great life with your family. I would hope in the right time, your family could make another dog so lucky.
03-22-2014 09:29 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
(03-22-2014 09:29 AM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  Sorry to hear about Hunter. Sounds like Hunter had a great life with your family. I would hope in the right time, your family could make another dog so lucky.

Well put.

My best wishes for the OP's family.
03-22-2014 02:28 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

I'm truly sorry. I've been there and understand.
03-23-2014 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

memphisgirl1, I am just now seeing this. I am so very sorry for your loss. Most of us here can feel your pain so vividly, we hurt with you. I cried while reading your post. How are you holding up? Please let us know if you need to talk, or just a shoulder to cry on. Hugs to you and R.I.P sweet Hunter.

Quote:Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
03-28-2014 07:06 AM
memphisgirl1 Offline
Bench Warmer

Thank you everyone who responded with all the kind words of comfort and all your prayers. It has been a very hard week and a half since we lost our little Pom Hunter. At first it just didn't seem real that he was really gone, but now the realization he's gone is really sinking in. Getting up for work each morning and not having him here and walking back in each afternoon to a empty house is so overwhelming. It is just so quiet and lonely, and this house seems so empty without him. He was such a joy and so loved life, and his home, and his family...and now it seems all the joy and light are gone.
I take comfort in the fact that I know he is not suffering anymore and his passing was so fast and peaceful and for that we feel very blessed. However my heart feels like there is a big empty hole there that will never heal. Everywhere I look in this house I picture his little face or see a spot where he loved to lay, and I just wonder when does this heartache ever get better or begin to not hurt so bad. Again, thank you so much everyone for all the kindness shown. Your beautiful words meant more to me than you can imagine.
Pamela
04-01-2014 10:57 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2014 10:57 PM)memphisgirl1 Wrote:  Thank you everyone who responded with all the kind words of comfort and all your prayers. It has been a very hard week and a half since we lost our little Pom Hunter. At first it just didn't seem real that he was really gone, but now the realization he's gone is really sinking in. Getting up for work each morning and not having him here and walking back in each afternoon to a empty house is so overwhelming. It is just so quiet and lonely, and this house seems so empty without him. He was such a joy and so loved life, and his home, and his family...and now it seems all the joy and light are gone.
I take comfort in the fact that I know he is not suffering anymore and his passing was so fast and peaceful and for that we feel very blessed. However my heart feels like there is a big empty hole there that will never heal. Everywhere I look in this house I picture his little face or see a spot where he loved to lay, and I just wonder when does this heartache ever get better or begin to not hurt so bad. Again, thank you so much everyone for all the kindness shown. Your beautiful words meant more to me than you can imagine.
Pamela

Very very slowly your pain will be replaced with wonderful memories and before you know it, you will smile every time you think of Hunter. It will happen, I promise.
04-02-2014 09:17 AM
memphisgirl1 Offline
Bench Warmer

Tanyaskees,
Thank you so much for your words of comfort and also for the very beautiful Rainbow Bridge story. It truly does help to ease some of the pain in my heart to know special people like you understand the feelings and care. My heart is still so shattered in pieces and just when I think it might be o.k. for a bit, I am swamped with such a wave of overwhelming loss. I see his precious little face everywhere I look and this house is just so quiet and empty without him. I know we were blessed to have had him to love for 12 yrs. and 3 months, but just wish it could have been so much longer. I know he's healthy and happy and running and being that feisty little guy again at the Rainbow Bridge, and hopefully in time this hole in my heart will start to mend some. Again, thank you for your very kind and touching words.
04-07-2014 08:48 PM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-07-2014 08:48 PM)memphisgirl1 Wrote:  Tanyaskees,
Thank you so much for your words of comfort and also for the very beautiful Rainbow Bridge story. It truly does help to ease some of the pain in my heart to know special people like you understand the feelings and care. My heart is still so shattered in pieces and just when I think it might be o.k. for a bit, I am swamped with such a wave of overwhelming loss. I see his precious little face everywhere I look and this house is just so quiet and empty without him. I know we were blessed to have had him to love for 12 yrs. and 3 months, but just wish it could have been so much longer. I know he's healthy and happy and running and being that feisty little guy again at the Rainbow Bridge, and hopefully in time this hole in my heart will start to mend some. Again, thank you for your very kind and touching words.

It's very hard, but it does get better. Maybe God has another friend waiting for you to find; I hope so, it really does help.
04-07-2014 10:33 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Since I almost lost my companion dog last year, I can really relate. When she was so ill at the vet for a week, I saw her things all over my house and felt a huge hole in every moment of my day and at night when she was not lying on my bed. I cried every time I saw something of hers.

I hope in time you will find peace, and when the time is right, another dog will walk into your heart. There are so many who desperately need homes. Peace and comfort.
04-08-2014 01:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.