Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Charlotte Basketball Commit Wins NC POY
Bookmark and Share
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Charlotte Basketball Commit Wins NC POY
http://t.co/fPdcGY1r6X

Quote:The 6-foot-5, 195-pound senior guard has led the Knights to a 28-1 record, a third consecutive North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association Class 2A state championship and a berth in the DICK’S Sporting Goods High School National Tournament, scheduled to begin April 3. A three-time NCISAA Class 2A First Team All-State selection, Woods is averaging 17.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.6 steals per game. He collected 22 points, four rebounds and three assists in an 87-68 victory against Concord First Assembly Academy in the title game.

Woods has maintained a weighted GPA of 3.79 in the classroom and represents one of the state’s top academic candidates in meeting the Gatorade Award’s broad criteria. A member of the National Honor Society and his school’s leadership council as well as president of Northside Christian’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter, he has volunteered locally on behalf of his church, as a youth basketball instructor and as a peer tutor.

“Keyshawn Woods is an outstanding player,” said Wade Tapp, head coach of rival Covenant Day School. “He’s the best in Charlotte and perhaps the best in the state. He has exceptional court awareness and makes his teammates better. I suspect that he will make a significant mark on Charlotte. Shooting, passing, ball-handling, you name it, and he does it well at a fundamental and advanced level.”

NC has a lot of talent too, so I'm shocked and very happy that he won this award.

I figured Theo Pinson was a lock for it. He's a top 20, 5 star recruit that committed to UNC.

What is hilarious is that while he was racking up big stats and wins and many have analysts said he is one of the best players in the state, ESPN recruiting services downgraded him to a 2 star last month from a 3 star/borderline 4.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 10:21 AM by Niner National.)
03-21-2014 10:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

RE: Charlotte Basketball Commit Wins NC POY
He must horrible or the award is garbage if he didn't go to an ACC school. *end snark*
03-21-2014 10:25 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Nice! Surprising that you guys got one from the ACC. That's a good sign!
03-21-2014 10:27 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Nice get guys!
03-21-2014 10:30 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Must not have an offer from ECU.

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 10:33 AM by shiftyeagle.)
03-21-2014 10:33 AM
Timo99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
I can't wait to see Woods suit up for the Niners next year.
03-21-2014 01:02 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(03-21-2014 10:33 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Must not have an offer from ECU.

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL

I realize that you are joking, but ECU and Charlotte fans can probably clear this up. My observation over the last few years is ECU and Charlotte really don't recruit as much against each other as you might imagine. They seem to recruit in different areas; Charlotte seems to concentrate a lot around the City of Charlotte just like Memphis recruits directly out of the City of Memphis. ECU seem to recruit a lot out of Raleigh, eastern North Carolina and out of Virginia. Both schools dive into Georgia for some reason, but for the most part they don't go head to head as much as you might imagine that they would; except fo guys like Brandon Stith (out of Virginia) and Terrence Williams out of Charlotte. From what I have seen over the last few years ECU seems to go up against ODU and VT more than they do against Charlotte; and Charlotte seems to go up against Clemson and South Carolina more than they do ECU. Which makes sense because ECU is closer to the State of Virginia than they are to Charlotte and Charlotte is closer to South Carolina than they are to ECU. JMO, and my observations are probably wrong.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 05:46 PM by PirateMarv.)
03-21-2014 05:43 PM
Advertisement

MondoMiner Offline
Adelantado and Captain-General

I Root For: Los Mineros
Nice! Congratulations!
03-21-2014 05:47 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2014 05:43 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL

I realize that you are joking, but ECU and Charlotte fans can probably clear this up. My observation over the last few years is ECU and Charlotte really don't recruit as much against each other as you might imagine. They seem to recruit in different areas; Charlotte seems to concentrate a lot around the City of Charlotte just like Memphis recruits directly out of the City of Memphis. ECU seem to recruit a lot out of Raleigh, eastern North Carolina and out of Virginia. Both schools dive into Georgia for some reason, but for the most part they don't go head to head as much as you might imagine that they would; except fo guys like Brandon Stith (out of Virginia) and Terrence Williams out of Charlotte. From what I have seen over the last few years ECU seems to go up against ODU and VT more than they do against Charlotte; and Charlotte seems to go up against Clemson and South Carolina more than they do ECU. Which makes sense because ECU is closer to the State of Virginia than they are to Charlotte and Charlotte is closer to South Carolina than they are to ECU. JMO, and my observations are probably wrong.

Correct. We rarely come up against each other and our top priorities rarely overlap.

We've focused primarily on recruiting the Charlotte area and Georgia since Major has gotten here and ECU seems to focus more on other areas.

Clemson, VT, Wake, and NC State seem to steal the guys we target early most of the time. We rarely recruit against ECU and we very rarely recruit against Duke, UNC, or App State. Duke and UNC are obviously on a different level and App State usually recruits beneath us (though that may change with conference realignment).

This year we both targeted Stith. The coaching staff would have loved to have gotten Stith I'm sure, but Matthew Atewe was our top target at that position. Stith committed to ECU and Atewe to Auburn. We had to settle on Marcus Bryan (an App St. commit actually). His ceiling certainly isn't as high as it is for Atewe or Stith, but he was a pretty decent pick up.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 06:08 PM by Niner National.)
03-21-2014 06:05 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2014 06:05 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL

Correct. We rarely come up against each other and our top priorities rarely overlap.

We've focused primarily on recruiting the Charlotte area and Georgia since Major has gotten here and ECU seems to focus more on other areas.

Clemson, VT, Wake, and NC State seem to steal the guys we target early most of the time. We rarely recruit against ECU and we very rarely recruit against Duke, UNC, or App State. Duke and UNC are obviously on a different level and App State usually recruits beneath us (though that may change with conference realignment).

This year we both targeted Stith. The coaching staff would have loved to have gotten Stith I'm sure, but Matthew Atewe was our top target at that position. Stith committed to ECU and Atewe to Auburn. We had to settle on Marcus Bryan (an App St. commit actually). His ceiling certainly isn't as high as it is for Atewe or Stith, but he was a pretty decent pick up.

That seems to be what I notice as well. VT, Wake Forest and ODU seems to be ECU main competition for recruits from what I have seen. VT and Weak Florist routinely wait to target players ECU has targeted and then they swoop in and pick them off. ECU targeted Montrzel Harrel, but VT swooped in and got him once he blew up. ECU targeted top 100 player Donte Clark and VT swooped in and got him. Wake Forest got Madison Jones and Aaron Rountree after ECU pretty much had them wrapped up.

Another thing that I noticed is that ECU and Charlotte under their current coaches do not even recruit the same type of players. Charlotte recruits a lot of big strong athletes. ECU recruits a lot of shooters/skilled/finesse players. Stith is the only high school player that I can remember Lebo recruiting that didn't fit that type. Even Sampson fancied himself a 3 point shooter.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 06:33 PM by PirateMarv.)
03-21-2014 06:30 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2014 06:30 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL

That seems to be what I notice as well. VT, Wake Forest and ODU seems to be ECU main competition for recruits from what I have seen. VT and Weak Florist routinely wait for to target players and the they swoop in and pick them off. ECU targeted Montrzel Harrel, but VT swooped in and got him once he blew up. ECU targeted top 100 player Donte Clark and VT swooped in and got him. Wake Forest got Madison Jones and Aaron Rountree after ECU pretty much had them wrapped up.

Another thing that I noticed is that ECU and Charlotte under their current coaches do not even recruit the same type of players. Charlotte recruits a lot of big strong athletes. ECU recruits a lot of shooters/skilled/finesse players. Stith is the only high school player that I can remember Lebo recruiting that didn't fit that type. Even Sampson fancied himself a 3 point shooter.
Harrell went to Louisville. He was a Charlotte target as well. He's a beastly athlete, so no surprise he didn't come to Charlotte or ECU. His athleticism and size is extremely rare.

I think our two schools mostly target the same players when they're big time players that realistically have very little chance of ending up at either school, but when we are keying in on realistic targets, there isn't much overlap.

It is frustrating as hell to see historically bad basketball programs consistently steal guys from Charlotte. I understand it now since we've been pretty unremarkable for so many years, but it has always been this way, even when we were the far better program.
03-21-2014 06:36 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-21-2014 06:36 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 06:30 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLOLOL

That seems to be what I notice as well. VT, Wake Forest and ODU seems to be ECU main competition for recruits from what I have seen. VT and Weak Florist routinely wait for to target players and the they swoop in and pick them off. ECU targeted Montrzel Harrel, but VT swooped in and got him once he blew up. ECU targeted top 100 player Donte Clark and VT swooped in and got him. Wake Forest got Madison Jones and Aaron Rountree after ECU pretty much had them wrapped up.

Harrell went to Louisville. He was a Charlotte target as well. He's a beastly athlete, so no surprise he didn't come to Charlotte or ECU. His athleticism and size is extremely rare.

I think our two schools mostly target the same players when they're big time players that realistically have very little chance of ending up at either school, but when we are keying in on realistic targets, there isn't much overlap.

It is frustrating as hell to see historically bad basketball programs consistently steal guys from Charlotte. I understand it now since we've been pretty unremarkable for so many years, but it has always been this way, even when we were the far better program.

Harrell committed to VT. He reopened his commitment when Seth Greensburg was fired and he then went to Louisville. ECU was in on him before he blew up and VT snagged him. Same for Donte Clark, except Clark didn't qualify and is now a NQ sitting out this year at UMass. Btw Harrell is from Tarboro which is right near ECU, which explains why ECU was probably in the last group of schools Harrell eliminated before originally choosing VT.
03-21-2014 09:02 PM
9erken Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte
Woods had an offer from ECU, but you're probably right that they didn't spend a lot of time on him. He had offers from just about every lower profile but above-average program in the region too, along with Wichita St., but for some reason the more high profile programs (ACC, SEC) never offered. I would guess he would've gotten a few more of those offers if he hadn't signed in the early period, as he had a good senior year.

ESPN downgrading him right while he's starring for one of the top teams in the country, growing from about 6'3" to 6'5", and getting several recruiting analysts' praise is a complete joke. Someone took a look at his offer list and decided he couldn't possibly be that good, and didn't bother to look at anything else.

Assuming the incoming transfers and recruits live up to at least a little bit of their hype, Charlotte has the pieces to be very good. We just need a coach to develop them into a cohesive team. Either Major needs to get his act together, or we need a new coach to do that.
03-22-2014 08:36 AM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2014 08:36 AM)9erken Wrote:  Woods had an offer from ECU, but you're probably right that they didn't spend a lot of time on him. He had offers from just about every lower profile but above-average program in the region too, along with Wichita St., but for some reason the more high profile programs (ACC, SEC) never offered. I would guess he would've gotten a few more of those offers if he hadn't signed in the early period, as he had a good senior year.

ESPN downgrading him right while he's starring for one of the top teams in the country, growing from about 6'3" to 6'5", and getting several recruiting analysts' praise is a complete joke. Someone took a look at his offer list and decided he couldn't possibly be that good, and didn't bother to look at anything else.

Assuming the incoming transfers and recruits live up to at least a little bit of their hype, Charlotte has the pieces to be very good. We just need a coach to develop them into a cohesive team. Either Major needs to get his act together, or we need a new coach to do that.

After watching the NCAA for the last couple of years I have come to realize that the ranking system in basketball is a complete joke. All that it ranks is big some kid is; how fast a guy can run or how high a guy can jump. That system rarely measures guys actual basketball skill or instincts.
03-22-2014 09:45 AM
Alumniner2012 Offline
Bench Warmer

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticl...um=twitter

The 8 previous winners of this award went to ACC schools.
03-26-2014 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.