Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is the 2015 version of the AAC gonna be as good (overall) as C-USA 1.0 was?
Better
Worse
Equal to
[Show Results]

Is the 2015 version of the AAC gonna be as good (overall) as C-USA 1.0 was?
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
For argument's sake ECU and TCU are included in C-USA 1.0 even though we came in 1 year after the inaugural football season and TCU came aboard 3 years after ECU did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_...p_timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_At...p_timeline

It is an interesting question because losing Louisville hurts but Tulsa, ECU, & Navy may each respectively offer as much or more than Rutgers has (Tulane brings NOLA & is getting better 04-cheers). Also, UL now is a better overall athletic program than they were in C-USA 1.0 so that must be taken into account as well. Moreover, teams in C-USA 1.0 like St. Louis (olympic sports), Army (football only), UNCC (olympic sports), Marquette (olympic sports), DePaul (olympic sports) are curve balls.
03-17-2014 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Is the 2015 version of the AAC gonna be as good (overall) as C-USA 1.0 was?
I voted "better", although you could make a plausible case for "equal". You cannot make a plausible case for "worse".
03-17-2014 08:57 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

(03-17-2014 08:57 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I voted "better", although you could make a plausible case for "equal". You cannot make a plausible case for "worse".

I voted equal to but I think one could make a plausible argument for worse because Marquette, St. Louis, & UNCC were/are really good basketball schools and Louisville (good basketball obviously as well), USM, & TCU were/are really good football schools. Also, ECU of the 90s was a beast in football as well and while we are pretty good now, those teams in the 90s were tough.

C-USA 1.0 was a formidable league just like the AAC is now.
03-17-2014 09:07 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

Conversely, I could also easily make a counter argument that the 2015 version of the AAC will be better than C-USA 1.0.
03-17-2014 09:24 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Equal...
03-18-2014 07:47 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
I tend to think the football teams are actually better, but the national perception will of course be equal and I think equal is correct for basketball.
03-18-2014 07:49 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
UCF takes the place of Louisville. Temple and UConn for basketball are great additions to what was (probably) a strong basketball conference. Not sure how baseball compares because Temple is dropping the game and UConn may not compete well with Southern schools that have less travel.

It's really C-USA 1.0 + Temple + UConn + UCF - Louisville. Louisville football bottomed out during the C-USA early years, so combine UCF Football with Temple/UConn basketball (roughly making 1 Louisville) and it's at least as strong a conference. Hoops shoudl be pretty good most years, football is a work in progress but Cincinnati is a better program now than they were then, UCF should be strong, hopefully USF rebounds to what it was in the early part of Big East 2.0
03-18-2014 11:25 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Pretty close...
03-18-2014 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

In the American, the facilities are better, the exposure is better, and the money is better but the perception is probably the same.
03-18-2014 11:32 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Worse in the sense that the Gap between Big 5 (6 at time of CUSA 1.0) and other conferences has widened.
03-18-2014 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
We are comparing

[Image: American-Athletic-Conference-Map-dmn2.as...;amp;w=425]

to this

[Image: CUSA-bb-2004.jpg]

It is hard to tell which is better in football. The dynamics are so upside down. Southern Miss, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati,and Memphis were solid to good teams most years. The bottom of the league, other than army, was not "stuck" and rotated in and out. It is a toss up until we see how the league plays out with all members in (remember there are only so many conference wins to go around). The advantage CUSA had is it was seen as a league trending up, whereas the AAC is seen as the former Big East trending down.

In basketball, CUSA of old was better based on the one year we have seen. A lot more depth in the league, with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, Saint Louis, Charlotte, Saint Louis, DePaul, and UAB being multiple time NCAA bid teams just in the 2000-2005 era. There is simply not enough depth in the future AAC to compete with that era of CUSA.
03-18-2014 12:12 PM
HURRICANEWARNING Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TULSA -"The TU"
2015 will also have navy and tulsa.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-19-2014 08:49 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-18-2014 12:04 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Worse in the sense that the Gap between Big 5 (6 at time of CUSA 1.0) and other conferences has widened.

Bingo.
03-19-2014 09:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.