Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future Considerations...
Bookmark and Share
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
Future Considerations...
The Sun Belt has three major areas of concern when considering future expansion....which looks like May at the earliest.

Concern one...leadership.

Benson has to be one of the least respected conference commissioners and an embarrassment to its members. I never felt that with Wright Walters.

He needs to be removed.

Concern two...football... getting to at least 12 members

In addition to the eleven who will be playing next year add Missouri State and Eastern Kentucky

It will create a seven team western division and a six team eastern division. The western division would play each other and two cross over games while the eastern division would play each other and play three cross over games.

Concern three...beef up basketball image by adding Belmont and NMSU in all sports to go along with Missouri State and EKU should enhance our image.

There could be three divisions...

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Each team would play division members twice and members of the other two divisions once for 16 game conference schedule.

Surely adding NMSU, Missouri State, Belmont and EKU would strengthen
the Sun Belt's image and our rpi ratings should go up.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 10:10 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-16-2014 10:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Future Considerations...
(03-16-2014 10:08 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  The Sun Belt has three major areas of concern when considering future expansion....which looks like May at the earliest.

Benson has to be one of the least respected conference commissioners and an embarrassment to its members. I never felt that with Wright Walters.

He needs to be removed.

In addition to the eleven who will be playing next year add Missouri State and Eastern Kentucky

It will create a seven team western division and a six team eastern division. The western division would play each other and two cross over games while the eastern division would play each other and play three cross over games.

Concern three...beef up basketball image by adding Belmont and NMSU in all sports to go along with Missouri State and EKU should enhance our image.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Each team would play division members twice and members of the other two divisions once for 16 game conference schedule.

You're taking these steps way too far.

We want to improve our image...but the problem is that we have to agree on the best way to do it. In addition, we have to manage our playoff money wisely.

That means we're likely going no more than 13 in football...and 14 in Olympics. And there is a strong possibility it stops at 12 in both.

Super Conferences have never worked.
03-16-2014 10:17 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
You can add all the teams you want but so long as our teams schedule the way they do, we're gonna suck at basketball.
03-16-2014 10:19 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(03-16-2014 10:17 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 10:08 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  The Sun Belt has three major areas of concern when considering future expansion....which looks like May at the earliest.

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

We want to improve our image...but the problem is that we have to agree on the best way to do it. In addition, we have to manage our playoff money wisely.

That means we're likely going no more than 13 in football...and 14 in Olympics. And there is a strong possibility it stops at 12 in both.

And won't work. To many agendas to keep everyone happy .
03-16-2014 10:20 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Not adding Belmont would get us to those numbers.
03-16-2014 10:26 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-16-2014 10:26 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Not adding Belmont would get us to those numbers.

You're still trying to come up with an idea that no school would agree to. Why would ASU want to be in a conference with Eastern Kentucky? No offense to the Colonels...but we have no history with that team, and they are unknown. Why would ULL want to be in a league with them?

Similar questions could be asked about New Mexico State.

Why would the SBC Kick out Idaho, when most of us agree we don't have the conscience to do that?
03-16-2014 10:29 PM
Advertisement

RoyK Offline
Special Teams

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

What did you do with Idaho.
03-16-2014 10:30 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2014 10:30 PM)RoyK Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

I didn't eleminate Idaho... I said the eleven playing next year. Idaho helped get fbs football started in the belt...in which we are all grateful.

Adding EKU would help give App State a travel partner and they have announced they want to move up. Better choice than Liberty or JMU who wants desperately to be in the MAC or Jacksonville State who will lack the support needed.

The three divisions I set up were for basketball only.

But with 14...we could divide into two divisions of 7. The only problem is who goes east...ULL, ULM or UALR?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 10:44 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-16-2014 10:39 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2014 10:39 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

I didn't eleminate Idaho... I said the eleven playing next year. Idaho help get fbs football started in the belt...in which we are all grateful.

Adding EKU would help give App State a travel partner and they have announced they want to move up. Better choice than Liberty or JMU who wants desperately to be in the MAC or Jacksonville State who will lack the support needed.

But with 14...we could divide into two divisions of 7. The only problem is who goes east...ULL, ULM or UALR?

Oh. Divisons are bad for basketball and prolly the other Olympic sports. It really screws you over in the eyes of the comittees.
03-16-2014 10:44 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2014 10:44 PM)RoyK Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

I didn't eleminate Idaho... I said the eleven playing next year. Idaho help get fbs football started in the belt...in which we are all grateful.

Oh. Divisons are bad for basketball and prolly the other Olympic sports. It really screws you over in the eyes of the comittees.

Twenty-six conference games are too many while 13 are too few. 12 + 7 or 19 makes more sense. How many conferences have 14 teams and everyone plays each other twice?
03-16-2014 10:51 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2014 10:51 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Twenty-six conference games are too many while 13 are too few. 12 + 7 or 19 makes more sense. How many conferences have 14 teams and everyone plays each other twice?

If these schools stick together....I see strong relationships develop.
03-16-2014 10:53 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Wright Waters was lazy and a vendictive clown!
03-16-2014 10:54 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2014 10:54 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Being from Louisiana...I am sure you would know much more. However...Benson is like Rodney Dangerfield...a guy with no respect...but looks like deservedly so.
03-16-2014 10:57 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-16-2014 10:51 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Most conferences with 14 do not use divisions. They play 18 league games with 14 teams, and it works out how it works out.
03-16-2014 11:03 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

We were stuck with Denver from day one...a school who should have never been allowed to join. But I was glad to see ULM join when they did, as well as Troy, Georgia State, Appalachian State, and Georgia Southern. I hate to see WKU leave, but MTSU, FAU and FIU aren't missed. I also hated to see North Texas leave, but I understood why. I hope that Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette stay together in the belt.
03-16-2014 11:04 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

"Most conferences with 14 do not use divisions. They play 18 league games with 14 teams, and it works out how it works out."

That would be fine...I just felt 26 games were too many. Schools that are close or have established rivalries could play each other twice.
That could mean playing six teams twice and six teams once and one team not played or five teams twice and the other eight teams once.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 11:10 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-16-2014 11:09 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-16-2014 10:57 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 10:54 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

He needs to be removed.

Eastern Division

Appalachian State
Belmont
Eastern Kentucky
Georgia Southern
Georgia State

Central Division

Arkansas State
Arkansas Little Rock
Missouri State
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division

Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico State
Texas Arlington
Texas State

Being from Louisiana...I am sure you would know much more. However...Benson is like Rodney Dangerfield...a guy with no respect...but looks like deservedly so.

You bet I do when it comes to Waters. Remember, he took verbal agreements as bowl contracts? Benson hasn't come close to that historically idiotic decision.
03-16-2014 11:26 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2014 11:26 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  You bet I do when it comes to Waters. Remember, he took verbal agreements as bowl contracts? Benson hasn't come close to that historically idiotic decision.

Waters did not like conference realignment, did not agree with conference realignment, did not want to take part in conference realignment.

There was a point where we should have taken UTSA and TXST, killed the WAC leaving LaTech no place to go....then roped in LaTech with a high buyout.

Could have been done. We did nothing and here we are.
03-16-2014 11:29 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I just hope we are not stuck with Benson. Surely the Belt could have come up with another alternative. I remember what others thought of him when he was in the WAC.

I do feel if we were to add NMSU as a full member along with Missouri State and EKU...and give our newer members time to grow that we would be stronger than the MAC and catch up with CUSA and become a good southern conference that plays good football, baseball, softball, and basketball.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 11:43 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
03-16-2014 11:42 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-16-2014 11:29 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 11:26 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  You bet I do when it comes to Waters. Remember, he took verbal agreements as bowl contracts? Benson hasn't come close to that historically idiotic decision.

Waters did not like conference realignment, did not agree with conference realignment, did not want to take part in conference realignment.

There was a point where we should have taken UTSA and TXST, killed the WAC leaving LaTech no place to go....then roped in LaTech with a high buyout.

Could have been done. We did nothing and here we are.

I still feel that is our biggest regret as a league. Not jumping on UTSA and Texas State a year earlier when they were there for the taking.
03-17-2014 12:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.