Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Womens basketball postseason?
Bookmark and Share
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Womens basketball postseason?
With an even record and recent success in the wnit, do they invite us?

I'd assume we could get in the wbi if we wanted to.

Thoughts?
03-16-2014 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
RE: Womens basketball postseason?
I'd say our attendance record gives a decent chance at getting a WNIT or WBI bid. I don't know if it's a good chance, but probably at least gets us talked about.
03-16-2014 10:58 AM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

But with slim chance of us getting a home game due to ncaa tourny i dont think that will be a factor
03-16-2014 12:17 PM
FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(03-16-2014 12:17 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  But with slim chance of us getting a home game due to ncaa tourny i dont think that will be a factor

Watched the girls all season, I think it would be a good idea for them, just to forget this season. Let the girl's relax and work on next year.
03-16-2014 12:31 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-16-2014 12:31 PM)FrickerRon Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 12:17 PM)T4C8 Wrote:  But with slim chance of us getting a home game due to ncaa tourny i dont think that will be a factor

Watched the girls all season, I think it would be a good idea for them, just to forget this season. Let the girl's relax and work on next year.

I agree. By winning two MAC tournament games they avoided having a losing season. I am not confident enough to want to chance turning that back into a losing season by trying to extend their season.
03-16-2014 01:52 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

(03-16-2014 01:52 PM)T-Town Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 12:31 PM)FrickerRon Wrote:  

I agree. By winning two MAC tournament games they avoided having a losing season. I am not confident enough to want to chance turning that back into a losing season by trying to extend their season.

I agree as well. They had a nice finish winning 2 of the 3 MAC tournament games, but the team had a short bench and looked gassed by Akron. I think Coach Cullop and staff also could use a breather.
03-16-2014 01:58 PM
Advertisement

T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I do not agree. Bring on more basketball!!!!!!!!!
03-16-2014 02:22 PM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

I hope for the best for rocket teams, BUT, there is something crazy about a 16-16 team with an RPI of 201 getting an invitation to a post season tournament. And a rationale is because they can put some fans in the stands.

I know its all about the money, right. I mean in Division 1 NCAA football teams need 6 wins to qualify for a bowl game. So they can go to a bowl with a 6-6 record. I have a hard time with earning a bowl game with a 500 record.

Should bowl games and basketball postseason tournaments be a reward for those teams which had a good season?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 07:25 PM by northrocket43.)
03-16-2014 07:22 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

As a program, if you get offered post season play, you take it. Whether it is right or wrong, who cares? Some athletic departments could care less about women's basketball, let alone the WNIT. There is no guarantee that Toledo will get invited this year. The MAC will already have BGSU and CMU in the WNIT.
03-16-2014 08:13 PM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-16-2014 08:13 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  As a program, if you get offered post season play, you take it. Whether it is right or wrong, who cares? Some athletic departments could care less about women's basketball, let alone the WNIT. There is no guarantee that Toledo will get invited this year. The MAC will already have BGSU and CMU in the WNIT.

And probably Ball State.
03-16-2014 09:03 PM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
BG was ranked #25. its possible they get an at-large
03-17-2014 10:56 AM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Hustle Belt ‏@HustleBelt Wrote:All 64 WNIT teams have been announced. Ball State, Bowling Green and Central Michigan are in from the MAC.
03-17-2014 07:30 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

Id imagine BG and CMU will be 2 of the highest rpi teams in the field
03-17-2014 07:42 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(03-17-2014 10:56 AM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  BG was ranked #25. its possible they get an at-large

Unbelievable. bgsuCKS has been a powerhouse in women's basketball for years. They finish their season with 4 losses, but they only gain a national ranking of 25 AND they don't even get an at-large bid? For some reason, the MAC provides such limited national exposure for our athletics, at least compared to the other conferences. No excuse for that program not getting an invite to the big dance with only 4 losses. They also beat Michigan and Ohio State on the road. They have been consistently posting those kinds of records this past decade. I just don't get it.
03-17-2014 09:30 PM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-17-2014 09:30 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 10:56 AM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  BG was ranked #25. its possible they get an at-large

Unbelievable. bgsuCKS has been a powerhouse in women's basketball for years. They finish their season with 4 losses, but they only gain a national ranking of 25 AND they don't even get an at-large bid? For some reason, the MAC provides such limited national exposure for our athletics, at least compared to the other conferences. No excuse for that program not getting an invite to the big dance with only 4 losses. They also beat Michigan and Ohio State on the road. They have been consistently posting those kinds of records this past decade. I just don't get it.

Ohio State has an RPI of 52 and a losing record (17-18), relatively good RPI driven by a strength of schedule rank of 2. Michigan has an RPI of 93 with an 18-13 record. Apparently the selection committee was not particularly impressed with defeating these teams even on the road.
03-17-2014 10:04 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
Bowling Green's RPI was 31. I assume that they were the highest RPI team left out of the field.

In addition to Ohio State and Michigan, the Falcons beat Central Michigan (40), Iona (66), and Akron (74) (twice). Their only bad loss was their last one, to Ball State. Their only other losses were to Central Michigan, Marist (41), and Purdue (9).

The better a MAC team does, the more ridiculous the committee is forced to be in order to maintain our status as a one-bid league. The committee is up to that challenge, though.
03-18-2014 05:53 AM
Advertisement

northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-18-2014 05:53 AM)Dwight Wrote:  Bowling Green's RPI was 31. I assume that they were the highest RPI team left out of the field.

In addition to Ohio State and Michigan, the Falcons beat Central Michigan (40), Iona (66), and Akron (74) (twice). Their only bad loss was their last one, to Ball State. Their only other losses were to Central Michigan, Marist (41), and Purdue (9).

The better a MAC team does, the more ridiculous the committee is forced to be in order to maintain our status as a one-bid league. The committee is up to that challenge, though.

IMO the problem for the MAC is that we play too many small schools with high RPIs and not enough big time programs. And when we do play the big schools we have to win a few. And this year both CMU and BGSU were hurt by the fact that the bottom of the MAC was very weak.

BGSU had a strength of schedule of 173 which was highest in the top 50. They played Kent (301), Ohio (241), and Miami (269) each twice. They also played Western Michigan (239), Niagara (262), Mommouth (231), Milwaukee (299) and Massachusetts (313). That is eleven wins against very weak teams. I can't imagine that the selection committee wouldn't look at that and discount their record with such a large number of wins against very weak teams.

Then on the flip side Central Michigan does play a tough nonconference schedule. But they demonstrate that they can't compete with them. They lose to Notre Dame (1) by 34 points, Duke (4) by 33 points, Kentucky (10) by 22 points, Dayton (16) by 13 points and Purdue (9) by 12 points. Its great that CMU played these teams but my guess is we have to beat some of them to validate that we belong in the big dance as an at large selection.
03-18-2014 07:14 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:

I have said it before and will say it again: there is a Catch-22 working against at-large bids for the MAC, to wit:

1) To qualify for an at-large bid, the MAC team must have lost in the MAC Tournament

BUT

2) A loss in the MAC Tournament is considered a "bad, late season loss" which automatically disqualifies any MAC team from receiving an at-large bid regardless of what the rest of their season accomplishments may have been.

Within the current environment it would take a "perfect storm" miracle for any MAC team to ever get an at-large invitation and by definition, miracles are extremely rare and are few and far between.
03-18-2014 07:42 AM
northrocket43 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-18-2014 07:42 AM)T-Town Wrote:  

I have said it before and will say it again: there is a Catch-22 working against at-large bids for the MAC, to wit:

1) To qualify for an at-large bid, the MAC team must have lost in the MAC Tournament

BUT

2) A loss in the MAC Tournament is considered a "bad, late season loss" which automatically disqualifies any MAC team from receiving an at-large bid regardless of what the rest of their season accomplishments may have been.

Within the current environment it would take a "perfect storm" miracle for any MAC team to ever get an at-large invitation and by definition, miracles are extremely rare and are few and far between.

Last year's tourney champ CMU was seeded 4th. This year Akron was seeded 3rd. So one could argue that we are not sending our best team to the MAC tourney. Another factor in league image is a lack of a run in the NCAA tourney. I would argue that BGSU or a healthy CMU would have a better chance of that than Akron will.
03-18-2014 09:42 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
After the MAC Tourney, BG dropped out of the top 25. Something like 28th in the latest poll.
03-18-2014 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.