Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should ESPN be worried about Dayton going to the Big East?
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Should ESPN be worried about Dayton going to the Big East?
According to the article quoted below, Dayton should be ahead of Wichita St in the pecking order of expansion targets. Same size TV market, but more ESPN penetration.

Dayton has been a Top 10 ESPN hoops market for the last two years. Which got me thinking. ESPN might prefer to see Dayton NOT go to the Big East/Fox. They might pay us money to pick up Dayton to prevent losing that market. And if the American Conference picked up Dayton, that would give the American three of ESPN's Top 10 basketball markets.

Louisville Makes it a Dozen Straight

For the 12th consecutive year, Louisville was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular-season telecasts, averaging a 4.5 rating. Greensboro, Kansas City and Raleigh-Durham finished tied for second with a 2.8 rating. It marks the third straight year Greensboro has ended the season in the second spot. The remaining top 10 is Memphis (2.6), Columbus (2.0), Cincinnati (1.9), Knoxville (1.9), Dayton (1.9) and Indianapolis (1.8). In addition:

* Eight of last season’s top 10 metered markets finished the 2013-14 season among the top 10 again with Charlotte and Nashville falling out (tied at 11th with a 1.7 rating).

* Memphis made the biggest year-to-year jump in the standings, moving from 14th to fifth by doubling its rating from a 1.3 to a 2.6.

* Three of Ohio’s four metered markets finished in the top nine: Columbus at sixth with a 2.0 rating, and Cincinnati and Dayton tied for seventh with a 1.9 rating.
03-16-2014 03:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: Should ESPN be worried about Dayton going to the Big East?
(03-16-2014 03:18 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  According to the article quoted below, Dayton should be ahead of Wichita St in the pecking order of expansion targets. Same size TV market, but more ESPN penetration.

Dayton has been a Top 10 ESPN hoops market for the last two years. Which got me thinking. ESPN might prefer to see Dayton NOT go to the Big East/Fox. They might pay us money to pick up Dayton to prevent losing that market. And if the American Conference picked up Dayton, that would give the American three of ESPN's Top 10 basketball markets.

Louisville Makes it a Dozen Straight

For the 12th consecutive year, Louisville was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular-season telecasts, averaging a 4.5 rating. Greensboro, Kansas City and Raleigh-Durham finished tied for second with a 2.8 rating. It marks the third straight year Greensboro has ended the season in the second spot. The remaining top 10 is Memphis (2.6), Columbus (2.0), Cincinnati (1.9), Knoxville (1.9), Dayton (1.9) and Indianapolis (1.8). In addition:

* Eight of last season’s top 10 metered markets finished the 2013-14 season among the top 10 again with Charlotte and Nashville falling out (tied at 11th with a 1.7 rating).

* Memphis made the biggest year-to-year jump in the standings, moving from 14th to fifth by doubling its rating from a 1.3 to a 2.6.

* Three of Ohio’s four metered markets finished in the top nine: Columbus at sixth with a 2.0 rating, and Cincinnati and Dayton tied for seventh with a 1.9 rating.

Go to bed Cougar. You're delirious...lol
03-16-2014 04:06 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
That number is due to Cincinnati and Ohio State fans /thread
03-16-2014 09:33 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
The BE should have already picked up St. Louis, Dayton or Detroit.
03-16-2014 09:40 AM
Attackcoog Online

(03-16-2014 09:40 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  The BE should have already picked up St. Louis, Dayton or Detroit.

Val Ackerman said that the BE would not be expanding anytime soon. I believe her comments were something to the effect that the BE schools were "content" with the current line up and were not "pushing" for any expansion. Personally, I think the C7 like the home and homes against one another in basketball and probably would prefer to stay with that configuration.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 09:49 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-16-2014 09:44 AM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2014 09:33 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  That number is due to Cincinnati and Ohio State fans /thread

Interesting. How do you explain Dayton drawing 12K and change vs Cincy averaging 8500?
03-16-2014 09:47 AM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(03-16-2014 09:47 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 09:33 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  That number is due to Cincinnati and Ohio State fans /thread

Interesting. How do you explain Dayton drawing 12K and change vs Cincy averaging 8500?

Have you ever been to Dayton?
03-16-2014 10:27 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Lol. Nailed it.

It's like that old Aunt Janes Pickle company commercial....ain't got nothin better to do.

Btw, why do any of us care what that conference does, anyways?
03-16-2014 10:34 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(03-16-2014 10:27 AM)RedRocker Wrote:  

Ever try LIVING in Dayton? Old, cold, and depressing. Even I wouldn't mind going to a UD game to forget the outside for a while.
03-16-2014 11:29 AM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

So Dayton cares about Dayton. Because there's nothing else. But they tune into ESPN to watch Cincy???
03-16-2014 11:30 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(03-16-2014 03:18 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Dayton has been a Top 10 ESPN hoops market for the last two years. Which got me thinking. ESPN might prefer to see Dayton NOT go to the Big East/Fox. They might pay us money to pick up Dayton to prevent losing that market. And if the American Conference picked up Dayton, that would give the American three of ESPN's Top 10 basketball markets.

Those ratings are for all ESPN games throughout the entire season, not just the ratings for UD games only. In other words, people in Dayton watch a lot of college basketball on ESPN. Having Dayton on ESPN certainly helps those numbers but if UD games were the only thing driving the ratings, Dayton would not be a top 10 market.

Take Louisville for example. UofL and UK games get high ratings in Louisville, but so do games involving the ACC, Big East, Big 10, etc. People here watch a lot of college basketball regardless of whether or not it involves the local team.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 12:08 PM by UofLgrad07.)
03-16-2014 11:32 AM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(03-16-2014 11:30 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  

So Dayton cares about Dayton. Because there's nothing else. But they tune into ESPN to watch Cincy???

Dayton has some of the best college basketball fans - ****, some of the best sports fans, period, considering the Dayton Dragons' attendance numbers - in the Midwest if not the country. There's a reason why the First Four is played there every year. Any venue that can sell out for, what, half a dozen years in a row to watch Eastern Tennessee A&T square off against Albany Tech for the right to be Duke's b1tch two days later deserves a lot of credit. They've proven that they'll fill an arena whether the Flyers are involved or now.

You'll get pithy excuses from Cincy fans for why they don't stack up to that (Saturday errands! Trips to the pharmacy to buy postage stamps! High school sports! Dayton is gay! Taxes are due soon!) but it is what it is.
03-16-2014 11:51 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2014 09:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 09:40 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  The BE should have already picked up St. Louis, Dayton or Detroit.

Val Ackerman said that the BE would not be expanding anytime soon. I believe her comments were something to the effect that the BE schools were "content" with the current line up and were not "pushing" for any expansion. Personally, I think the C7 like the home and homes against one another in basketball and probably would prefer to stay with that configuration.

I'm not sure how you leave St. Louis out.
03-16-2014 11:58 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

You could say that. But Often times Dayton ranks higher than Columbus or Cincinnati (although all three are regulars in the top ten) and they draw insane levels of fans to game considering their accomplishments. So there is something to their fanbase and appeal. To say it is all UC and OSU fans is unfair (I realize you did not say that specifically). To say they contribute is fair. Much like one thing that contributes to Louisville being number 1 every year is that while the majority of people in Louisville are UofL fans, the non-UofL fans consist of large numbers of Kentucky fans and Indiana fans, and to a lesser extent some WKU fans (some Louisville stations are the local stations in and around Bowling Green), that all contribute to the TV value of Louisville in terms of basketball. . That does not take away from the value of the Cardinals
03-17-2014 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

UD has a loyal and smart fan base that doesn't mean the metro area doesn't watch a bunch of other college bball on TV. I think UC attendance last season was 9,250 average, which is top 50. This season was stronger I think.
UD has a better arena also, all of the seats are chairbacks, better concession areas, nice sports bar restaurant. Part of UC's upper deck is bleacher seating with poor views, and that area does not sell of low major games. Our attendance for conference games was strong.
03-17-2014 10:49 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(03-16-2014 11:58 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Its actually pretty simple. You just don't invite them.
03-17-2014 11:13 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2014 11:13 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  

Its actually pretty simple. You just don't invite them.

Thanks smart @ss.07-coffee3
03-17-2014 11:13 AM
Advertisement

CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(03-17-2014 09:31 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

You could say that. But Often times Dayton ranks higher than Columbus or Cincinnati (although all three are regulars in the top ten) and they draw insane levels of fans to game considering their accomplishments. So there is something to their fanbase and appeal. To say it is all UC and OSU fans is unfair (I realize you did not say that specifically). To say they contribute is fair. Much like one thing that contributes to Louisville being number 1 every year is that while the majority of people in Louisville are UofL fans, the non-UofL fans consist of large numbers of Kentucky fans and Indiana fans, and to a lesser extent some WKU fans (some Louisville stations are the local stations in and around Bowling Green), that all contribute to the TV value of Louisville in terms of basketball. . That does not take away from the value of the Cardinals

It has next to nothing to do with OSU and UC fans. I don't think the guy was being serious when he posted that.
03-17-2014 11:37 AM
First Family Forever Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis

The Big East did not add St. Louis because they did not any additional revenue . The tv contract only required a 10 team membership . The BE would add Dayton & St.Louis in a heartbeat if it would bring in more cash. Any additional schools will just decrease their team payouts. That how you leave St. Louis out of the BE.
03-17-2014 11:50 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(03-17-2014 11:50 AM)First Family Forever Wrote:  The Big East did not add St. Louis because they did not any additional revenue . The tv contract only required a 10 team membership . The BE would add Dayton & St.Louis in a heartbeat if it would bring in more cash. Any additional schools will just decrease their team payouts. That how you leave St. Louis out of the BE.

That's not really true. It was pretty well reported that Fox gave them the go ahead to add two more teams and they would be revenue neutral. The main reason, has to do with something I mentioned before as a problem with the AAC. The Big East kept it at ten because they had seven original members. If you add FIVE members, it makes it seem more like a merger than an expansion. Hence the difference between the being called the old Big East lite, verus the AAC being though of as CUSA 3.0, since it was an "expansion" from 3 teams who added 7 teams from CUSA, one from the MAC/A10, and one Independent. The Big East avoided a lot of that by allowing the three new teams to mesh in, and be "Big East" teams, and then they can expand down the line if they choose and not be seen as the A10 all over again.

People keep assuming the the TV contract is the end all be all of expansion. It is not. For most big east schools, it is only about 25% of their revenue, if that. TV money alone will not stop them from inviting a team who can help them in other ways. Even if that help is allowing more NCAA bids, and stealing another top team from it's biggest competitor.
03-17-2014 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.