Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season Ever
Buckminster Fuller Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season Ever
"The ESPN Saturday Primetime Driven by State Farm telecast of then-No. 2 Syracuse defeating then-No. 17 Duke 91-89 in overtime on February 1 is the network’s third most-viewed regular-season men’s college basketball game on record (1991-92 season), averaging 4,745,000 viewers (based on a 2.9 HH US rating which peaked at a 4.4). ESPN’s top two most-viewed men’s hoops games were also part of the Saturday Primetime series and occurred in the 2007-08 season: Tennessee at Memphis on February 23 (5,281,000 viewers) and North Carolina at Duke on March 8 (5,612,000 viewers)."

"For the 12th consecutive year, Louisville was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular-season telecasts, averaging a 4.5 rating. Greensboro, Kansas City and Raleigh-Durham finished tied for second with a 2.8 rating. It marks the third straight year Greensboro has ended the season in the second spot. The remaining top 10 is Memphis (2.6), Columbus (2.0), Cincinnati (1.9), Knoxville (1.9), Dayton (1.9) and Indianapolis (1.8)."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03...er/244861/
03-15-2014 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season Ever
Some other numbers of which I am aware. SU-Duke II - 4.2 million viewers, possibly the second highest rated game of the year. UNC-Duke II - 3.5 million viewers. SU-UVA - 2.5 million viewers.

Realignment is a bad idea? Not.
03-15-2014 07:24 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season Ever
(03-15-2014 07:24 AM)orangefan Wrote:  Some other numbers of which I am aware. SU-Duke II - 4.2 million viewers, possibly the second highest rated game of the year. UNC-Duke II - 3.5 million viewers. SU-UVA - 2.5 million viewers.

Realignment is a bad idea? Not.

Makes you wonder if they get the ACC Network off the ground how much $$$ would it generate especially with FSU, Clemson and now Miami with the ability to move forward since they know their fate with the NCAA...04-cheers
03-15-2014 08:34 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
I wonder how much of a dent a UL/UC combo would make in the Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus markets when combined with ND and the other ACC brands.
03-17-2014 03:30 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-17-2014 03:30 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I wonder how much of a dent a UL/UC combo would make in the Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus markets when combined with ND and the other ACC brands.

There's been talk of combining the Cincy and Dayton DMAs for a few years now. Not sure if it will ever happen, but if it did, I'd have to think that would make Cincy a more attractive expansion target for both the Big 12 and the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil
03-17-2014 07:58 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2014 07:58 AM)omniorange Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 03:30 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I wonder how much of a dent a UL/UC combo would make in the Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus markets when combined with ND and the other ACC brands.

There's been talk of combining the Cincy and Dayton DMAs for a few years now. Not sure if it will ever happen, but if it did, I'd have to think that would make Cincy a more attractive expansion target for both the Big 12 and the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I don't think combining the DMA's would affect the number of fans actually watching any games. I thing that the strong ratings in most of these market reflects the fact that there are several schools of local interest and, in most cases, no local NBA team. In Cincinnati, for instance, Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton, Ohio St., Kentucky, Indiana and possibly Louisville would all have local interest in the market, which covers portions of Indiana and Kentucky as well as SW Ohio.
03-17-2014 08:23 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-17-2014 08:23 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I don't think combining the DMA's would affect the number of fans actually watching any games. I thing that the strong ratings in most of these market reflects the fact that there are several schools of local interest and, in most cases, no local NBA team. In Cincinnati, for instance, Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton, Ohio St., Kentucky, Indiana and possibly Louisville would all have local interest in the market, which covers portions of Indiana and Kentucky as well as SW Ohio.

Perhaps. But for the Cincy-Dayton DMAs, Cincy being in a power conference could entice these rabid sports fans who are not Buckeyes fans in Dayton to perhaps adopt Cincy in football.

At the very least, it would allow the power conference that gets them to "claim" what would then be a Top 15 DMA.

Cheers,
Neil
03-17-2014 09:19 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

They may or may not merge the DMA. It doesn't particularly matter. What matters is the 10 million people that live in the relatively small triangle of land made by connecting the dots of Louisville-Cincinnati-Columbus-Dayton-Indianpolis-Louisville. Those are 5 of the top 10 college basketball markets that would likely all be within the ACC's footprint in regards to tv network fees once they're sandwiched between ND, Pitt, UC and UL. Heck, maybe the whole state of Ohio and it's almost 12 million residents would be "within" the footprint.

And that's my main interest.

UC is historically very good at basketball and more than respectable at football. If they weren't both then talk of them would be poo-pooed away as quick as the talk of UConn is. (None of that is new information/opinion.) Add in that they could quite possibly allow the ACC to "land" the 7th most populous state in the country (11.6 million) and how that could greatly enhance an ACC Network. It makes them an intriguing possibility. But it would probably depend entirely upon a network being created.

I know there's the grant of rights and all, but the ACC can't let the Big Ten and SEC outpace the ACC in tv revenue, network revenue and bowl revenue for the next 10+ years and expect things to be all hunky dory when the GOR expires.
03-17-2014 01:03 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(03-17-2014 09:19 AM)omniorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

Perhaps. But for the Cincy-Dayton DMAs, Cincy being in a power conference could entice these rabid sports fans who are not Buckeyes fans in Dayton to perhaps adopt Cincy in football.

At the very least, it would allow the power conference that gets them to "claim" what would then be a Top 15 DMA.

Cheers,
Neil

I wouldn't be shocked if 80% of Dayton area residents would consider themselves to be OSU fans. Perhaps as many would consider themselves to be UD fans as well. Since UD is a medium-sized private school that plays FCS non-scholarship football, doesn't directly compete with OSU in most athletics and has no legitimate public university alternative in the (sub)urban area of Dayton, most residents root for both. Talking about people with UD basketball and OSU football season tickets. Also helps that UD is one of the regions biggest economic contributors.

But ratings are high in that area because the teams in that area have historically been very good and they will watch other good matchups on tv even if they don't include their own team. Same reason football ratings are high in the south (historically strong football areas that will watch every good football game even if their team isn't playing).
03-17-2014 01:39 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season
(03-17-2014 01:39 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I wouldn't be shocked if 80% of Dayton area residents would consider themselves to be OSU fans. Perhaps as many would consider themselves to be UD fans as well. Since UD is a medium-sized private school that plays FCS non-scholarship football, doesn't directly compete with OSU in most athletics and has no legitimate public university alternative in the (sub)urban area of Dayton, most residents root for both. Talking about people with UD basketball and OSU football season tickets. Also helps that UD is one of the regions biggest economic contributors.

But ratings are high in that area because the teams in that area have historically been very good and they will watch other good matchups on tv even if they don't include their own team. Same reason football ratings are high in the south (historically strong football areas that will watch every good football game even if their team isn't playing).

I live in the suburbs of Dayton. 80% would consider themselves OSU football fans. The other 20% is split between a number of schools.

As far as basketball goes, Dayton is not overly huge on OSU basketball. Part of the reason is Dayton basketball. But there is even a fair number of Cincinnati fans in the area.

Dayton already picks up the AAC game of the week in football (formerly Big East game of the week). The syndication has been here since the day UC joined the Big East. I think that UC is probably the #2 school in the area, but it is still a very small percentage. That being said, not only has UC's popularity grown in the area thanks to the Big East, they are kind of the anti-Ohio State. There are contingents that want to see more competition for Ohio State. Other's were just happy to see another power conference football program in Ohio to root for. Unfortunately that is gone now... hopefully UC finds a home at some point in a power conference.
03-18-2014 01:25 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
It isn't about TV markets, and it never has been (see Big East). It's about TV viewers, how much they watch (and spend buying goods advertised during their programming) and how much they're willing to pay for access to said programming. Cheap tricks like combining DMA's won't work. Eyeballs and passion are what works. Unfortunately for both UC and the ACC, the Bearcats lack enough of either to move any media needles.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 04:14 PM by nzmorange.)
03-18-2014 02:05 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-17-2014 01:39 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 09:19 AM)omniorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

Cheers,
Neil

I wouldn't be shocked if 80% of Dayton area residents would consider themselves to be OSU fans. Perhaps as many would consider themselves to be UD fans as well. Since UD is a medium-sized private school that plays FCS non-scholarship football, doesn't directly compete with OSU in most athletics and has no legitimate public university alternative in the (sub)urban area of Dayton, most residents root for both. Talking about people with UD basketball and OSU football season tickets. Also helps that UD is one of the regions biggest economic contributors.

I wouldn't be shocked if 80% of Cincinnati residents would consider themselves to be OSU fans - at least for football.
03-18-2014 02:41 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
^^ You would be wrong Ken.

There are split allegiances in Cincinnati, but every poll done in the past few years show that UC leads by a strong margin. OSU football garner maybe 20-30% of the support in this town. There is an even bigger disparity in regards to basketball.

On top of all that, I would bet you nearly all of that 20-30% watches UC football as well as OSU.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 02:45 PM by CliftonAve.)
03-18-2014 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(03-18-2014 01:25 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 01:39 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  I wouldn't be shocked if 80% of Dayton area residents would consider themselves to be OSU fans. Perhaps as many would consider themselves to be UD fans as well. Since UD is a medium-sized private school that plays FCS non-scholarship football, doesn't directly compete with OSU in most athletics and has no legitimate public university alternative in the (sub)urban area of Dayton, most residents root for both. Talking about people with UD basketball and OSU football season tickets. Also helps that UD is one of the regions biggest economic contributors.

I live in the suburbs of Dayton. 80% would consider themselves OSU football fans. The other 20% is split between a number of schools.

As far as basketball goes, Dayton is not overly huge on OSU basketball. Part of the reason is Dayton basketball. But there is even a fair number of Cincinnati fans in the area.

Dayton already picks up the AAC game of the week in football (formerly Big East game of the week). The syndication has been here since the day UC joined the Big East. I think that UC is probably the #2 school in the area, but it is still a very small percentage. That being said, not only has UC's popularity grown in the area thanks to the Big East, they are kind of the anti-Ohio State. There are contingents that want to see more competition for Ohio State. Other's were just happy to see another power conference football program in Ohio to root for. Unfortunately that is gone now... hopefully UC finds a home at some point in a power conference.

If I was given 3 guesses as to which suburb, I'd have to guess Centerville, Kettering or Beavercreek. But who knows.

There's definitely some overlapping of markets and it's absolutely the same market when talking Reds and Bengals. As I think I said in here, a typical Daytonian would be an OSU football ticket holder but a UD basketball ticket holder. However, most of those folks that like OSU football still root for OSU basketball as well, on top of their Dayton interests. It's just that having two interests in basketball as opposed to one in football "calms" down the OSU basketball influence. At least that's my perspective.

But it doesn't matter. It's a market that will watch good basketball regardless.
03-18-2014 10:32 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Men’s College Basketball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed and Highest-Rated Regular Season Ev
(03-18-2014 10:32 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  If I was given 3 guesses as to which suburb, I'd have to guess Centerville, Kettering or Beavercreek. But who knows.

You'd be correct on 2 of those 3... I grew up in Beavercreek, live now in Kettering.

Quote:There's definitely some overlapping of markets and it's absolutely the same market when talking Reds and Bengals. As I think I said in here, a typical Daytonian would be an OSU football ticket holder but a UD basketball ticket holder. However, most of those folks that like OSU football still root for OSU basketball as well, on top of their Dayton interests. It's just that having two interests in basketball as opposed to one in football "calms" down the OSU basketball influence. At least that's my perspective.

The typical Daytonian would only watch an OSU football game on TV... they aren't going to drive to Columbus every week and spend that kind of money to watch a game from a mile away from the field.

In terms of basketball, I could probably count on 1 hand the people I know that have been to a game in Columbus. Most of the people around here do NOT root for OSU basketball... for a number of reasons, but mostly because OSU has been dodging Dayton, UC, and Xavier for years on the basketball court. Honestly, I think you find that less than 50% of the OSU football fans in Dayton actually care to follow OSU in basketball. They may not root against them, but they certainly don't actively root for them like they do UD.

Quote:But it doesn't matter. It's a market that will watch good basketball regardless.

That is true. It seems all of the TV markets in Ohio watch both college football and basketball.
03-19-2014 10:26 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Well I knew plenty of people in the Dayton area that went to OSU football games and I know many root for OSU in basketball even though Dayton takes up a huge part of their basketball loyalties. But, it's not important.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014 05:53 PM by Marge Schott.)
03-19-2014 05:51 PM
ctkatz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: colorado avs
The list of cities proves that in terms of college basketball, it's louisville and everyone else. i think it's disappointing how we aren't much in the mix of host cities or the site of the play in games.
03-20-2014 07:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.