Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Thoughts on CJP
Bookmark and Share
ATLMemphfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MEMPHIS HOOPS!!
Thoughts on CJP
I don't make a lot of new posts, and I tend to be more of a lurker, but there are a few thoughts I have been having that I just felt like getting out.

I recognize that CJP has made progress over the course of his coaching career, especially during this year. He has beaten several ranked teams, and occasionally I have seen things that I liked from him during the actual games. That being said, his half time interview today was exactly why I can't get 100% behind him.

I know CJP is a super positive guy, but there has to be a limit. He was still smiling and being jovial in his half time interview, and I stopped watching it with this thought... "I care more about this team than CJP does." I sincerely hope this isn't the case, but nothing in his behavior shows me that it isn't.

It is ok to get frustrated, and to get angry. These are normal emotions. They can be expressed in appropriate ways as well. When Josh is always smiling and happy, even when his team is playing poorly and getting beaten down, it makes me feel like he doesn't care, even if I know (in my rational mind) that he does.

I could continue, but I feel like I am going to start rambling. Frustrating night tonight for sure. I wish I had seen the same feelings from our coach. Hopefully our 8 seed will work out better.
03-14-2014 12:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
Thoughts on CJP
I think he secretly curses like a drunken sailor to himself behind that smile and when he's alone

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 12:20 AM by BIGGESTTIGERJLB.)
03-14-2014 12:20 AM
cleveland2854 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Thoughts on CJP
I disagree with with your 1st opinion. You do not care near as much about this team as Josh does. Believe that. Some coaches are good and some aren't. Not ever coach that isn't doesn't care. They just can't coach. Josh definitely cares about his guys.
03-14-2014 12:21 AM
tigers1985 Offline
Spectacular

I Root For: Tigers
DonatorsDonators
I'm sure he is sick over it. The act is tiresome, but coaches all have their schtick. I've just lost all confidence in him.
03-14-2014 12:25 AM
ATLMemphfan Offline
2nd String

(03-14-2014 12:21 AM)cleveland2854 Wrote:  I disagree with with your 1st opinion. You do not care near as much about this team as Josh does. Believe that. Some coaches are good and some aren't. Not ever coach that isn't doesn't care. They just can't coach. Josh definitely cares about his guys.

I think you misunderstand. I don't think I care more. I sincerely hope I don't, either. I just don't see evidence from him that he does. I really didn't mean for it to sound like a comparison of our dedication. Josh has 2.5 million more reasons to care, and that's without even mentioning the young men he coaches. And if he wasn't frustrated tonight, well, I just don't know.
03-14-2014 12:33 AM
450bench Offline

(03-14-2014 12:25 AM)tigers1985 Wrote:  I'm sure he is sick over it. The act is tiresome, but coaches all have their schtick. I've just lost all confidence in him.

Agreed
03-14-2014 12:33 AM
Advertisement

ATLMemphfan Offline
2nd String

(03-14-2014 12:25 AM)tigers1985 Wrote:  I'm sure he is sick over it. The act is tiresome, but coaches all have their schtick. I've just lost all confidence in him.

I totally agree, and his schtick is one of the main reasons I have lost it.
03-14-2014 12:34 AM
cleveland2854 Offline
All American

(03-14-2014 12:33 AM)ATLMemphfan Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 12:21 AM)cleveland2854 Wrote:  I disagree with with your 1st opinion. You do not care near as much about this team as Josh does. Believe that. Some coaches are good and some aren't. Not ever coach that isn't doesn't care. They just can't coach. Josh definitely cares about his guys.

I think you misunderstand. I don't think I care more. I sincerely hope I don't, either. I just don't see evidence from him that he does. I really didn't mean for it to sound like a comparison of our dedication. Josh has 2.5 million more reasons to care, and that's without even mentioning the young men he coaches. And if he wasn't frustrated tonight, well, I just don't know.

Josh doesn't know what to do IMO. For all the Pastner coaching phenom talk, he can't run a consistent offense to get 2 highly skilled big men more than 10 touches while not being doubled. It shouldn't take a fast break to get Nichols or Shaq the ball on the low block with the ability to make a move before being double teamed. How many times did you see them catch the ball with the ability to work tonight? Shaq twice? Nichols has to catch and shoot damn near every time.
03-14-2014 12:37 AM
elmoshow21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Josh needs to commit to an offense/defense philosophy. Elite teams and coaches are committed to running their stuff and imposing their style of play. Josh continues to waffle around on this matter.
03-14-2014 01:01 AM
howboutthemtigers Offline
Special Teams

I agree with the op. I think that the players feel the same way and tune him out because he never shows any passion. Consequently, his teams perform with the same lack of emotion. I've never been sold on Josh and don't think I ever will be. Sure hope I'm wrong.
03-14-2014 06:08 AM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2014 06:08 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  I agree with the op. I think that the players feel the same way and tune him out because he never shows any passion. Consequently, his teams perform with the same lack of emotion. I've never been sold on Josh and don't think I ever will be. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Doesn't show any passion? Are you out of you mind? Have you watched him on the sidelines? He goes apeshiit at times. As far as caring, he may smile but it's tearing him up inside. The man doesn't eat on game days, doesn't sleep for days after a loss and will probably have a stroke before he is 40. Doesn't care my ass.....
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 07:34 AM by Tanyaskees.)
03-14-2014 07:34 AM
Advertisement

batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Pastner is our Mike Shula. Really nice guy, good recruiter but just can't win when it really matters. Always leaving the fan base wanting more and wondering what if.

When Alabama decided it wanted to win big they canned Shula and got Saban. . . . . .
03-14-2014 07:34 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

As have I.
03-14-2014 08:58 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2014 12:37 AM)cleveland2854 Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 12:33 AM)ATLMemphfan Wrote:  

Josh doesn't know what to do IMO. For all the Pastner coaching phenom talk, he can't run a consistent offense to get 2 highly skilled big men more than 10 touches while not being doubled. It shouldn't take a fast break to get Nichols or Shaq the ball on the low block with the ability to make a move before being double teamed. How many times did you see them catch the ball with the ability to work tonight? Shaq twice? Nichols has to catch and shoot damn near every time.

So that is why Jason Smith talked about the embarrassing play of JJ and CC. UCONN wasn't going to let our big plays beat them. So they guarded the paint and JJ/CC didn't respond.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 09:04 AM by midtowncowboy.)
03-14-2014 09:02 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2014 07:34 AM)batman Wrote:  Pastner is our Mike Shula. Really nice guy, good recruiter but just can't win when it really matters. Always leaving the fan base wanting more and wondering what if.

When Alabama decided it wanted to win big they canned Shula and got Saban. . . . . .

And Saban lost his first couple of years. Until he got the best players.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 09:03 AM by midtowncowboy.)
03-14-2014 09:02 AM
howboutthemtigers Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2014 07:34 AM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 06:08 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  I agree with the op. I think that the players feel the same way and tune him out because he never shows any passion. Consequently, his teams perform with the same lack of emotion. I've never been sold on Josh and don't think I ever will be. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Doesn't show any passion? Are you out of you mind? Have you watched him on the sidelines? He goes apeshiit at times. As far as caring, he may smile but it's tearing him up inside. The man doesn't eat on game days, doesn't sleep for days after a loss and will probably have a stroke before he is 40. Doesn't care my ass.....

Ok let me rephrase... In 5 years, he has been unable to instill any fire, passion, or focus into these guys. I'm so sick of the "this loss is on the players" bs. We have beaten some good teams this year which proves we have talent. So why do we just disappear every couple of games? If the players aren't buying in or doing what is asked of them, then it's JPs fault. If they ARE doing what is asked of them, then why does it result in such soft, erratic play?
03-14-2014 09:05 AM
Advertisement

dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

The team reflective of the coach. The inconsistancies of the coach and staff in preparing the guys for a game is glaringly obvious. The stubbornness and lack of accountability of not being able to make adjustments and following through (Giffey) is what costs the team the games. This falls on the coach and staff to make sure the guys are prepared and motivated.
Granted the stats show the 4 guards were inefficient and not making the shots, but it is up to the coach to change the game plan, and try something different. This is why we are all complaining this morning.
03-14-2014 09:08 AM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2014 09:05 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  

Ok let me rephrase... In 5 years, he has been unable to instill any fire, passion, or focus into these guys. I'm so sick of the "this loss is on the players" bs. We have beaten some good teams this year which proves we have talent. So why do we just disappear every couple of games? If the players aren't buying in or doing what is asked of them, then it's JPs fault. If they ARE doing what is asked of them, then why does it result in such soft, erratic play?

This makes a lot more sense than the coach doesn't care.
03-14-2014 09:26 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2014 09:05 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  

Matchups can be a *****.
03-14-2014 09:29 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2014 09:08 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  The team reflective of the coach. The inconsistancies of the coach and staff in preparing the guys for a game is glaringly obvious. The stubbornness and lack of accountability of not being able to make adjustments and following through (Giffey) is what costs the team the games. This falls on the coach and staff to make sure the guys are prepared and motivated.
Granted the stats show the 4 guards were inefficient and not making the shots, but it is up to the coach to change the game plan, and try something different. This is why we are all complaining this morning.

Go ask any coach about "motivating" a team. On great teams, the upperclassman are the ones holding players accountable. The 'team is relective of the coach' is a nice cliche, but is baseless. Dixon played at a level above what he did at MO. JJ and CC came to Memphis as finesse players and they will leave as finesse players. There is not a coach who has ever lived who could change that.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 09:32 AM by midtowncowboy.)
03-14-2014 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.