Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Shabazz Napier gets it....
Bookmark and Share
BlueCrewEngineer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
@Eli560: Napier on why they've shot so well here. "I don't think it's the building, I think it's how Memphis plays defense.":nutkick:

This is embarrassing, at the same time completely correct. I would love to think this will light a fire under our guys... but I'm not banking on anything...
03-13-2014 11:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Shabazz Napier gets it....
lololol low blow Bazz, low blow. true though. you've gotta think he loves playing against us.
03-13-2014 11:47 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Pearl
03-13-2014 11:50 PM
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(03-13-2014 11:39 PM)BlueCrewEngineer Wrote:  @Eli560: Napier on why they've shot so well here. "I don't think it's the building, I think it's how Memphis plays defense.":nutkick:

This is embarrassing, at the same time completely correct. I would love to think this will light a fire under our guys... but I'm not banking on anything...

Seems like a heady player. Definitely a reflection of his coach (Ollie).
03-13-2014 11:55 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(03-13-2014 11:55 PM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 11:39 PM)BlueCrewEngineer Wrote:  @Eli560: Napier on why they've shot so well here. "I don't think it's the building, I think it's how Memphis plays defense.":nutkick:

Seems like a heady player. Definitely a reflection of his coach (Ollie).

but our defensive efficiency rating is...
03-14-2014 12:07 AM
truest blue tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: memphis tigers
Just like Forest and Tony said on the post game, defense is about pride. The one thing i'm looking forward to is a player that will get in the face of his teammates and challenge them. We really are lacking that alpha dog type of player, i've heard people mention, an Antonio Anderson type. We don't have that now, but i'm hoping that this next batch of guys have that.
03-14-2014 12:19 AM
Advertisement

cleveland2854 Offline
All American

(03-14-2014 12:19 AM)truest blue tiger Wrote:  Just like Forest and Tony said on the post game, defense is about pride. The one thing i'm looking forward to is a player that will get in the face of his teammates and challenge them. We really are lacking that alpha dog type of player, i've heard people mention, an Antonio Anderson type. We don't have that now, but i'm hoping that this next batch of guys have that.

The game is different now though. Geron for all his faults has tried to be the glue guy for Tigers. But, the problem is there is no CDR or D Rose. Geron isn't the Alpha male because he came to Joe and Chris's team.
03-14-2014 12:22 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(03-14-2014 12:19 AM)truest blue tiger Wrote:  Just like Forest and Tony said on the post game, defense is about pride. The one thing i'm looking forward to is a player that will get in the face of his teammates and challenge them. We really are lacking that alpha dog type of player, i've heard people mention, an Antonio Anderson type. We don't have that now, but i'm hoping that this next batch of guys have that.

defense is a product of the coaching staff and the team's mental toughness. marginally talented players can bust their collective rear ends and play tough, effective team defense.
03-14-2014 12:24 AM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
(03-14-2014 12:24 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

defense is a product of the coaching staff and the team's mental toughness. marginally talented players can bust their collective rear ends and play tough, effective team defense.
not if it's not in them hence the motto the "it factor" used so often.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-14-2014 12:29 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(03-14-2014 12:29 AM)BIGGESTTIGERJLB Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 12:24 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

not if it's not in them hence the motto the "it factor" used so often.

but I don't think its in Josh. I think Josh is an "offense first" kind of coach. After losses, he continually points to how we shot instead of focusing on how we defended.
03-14-2014 12:35 AM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
I think he's wet behind the ears in most aspects except recruiting and running a good clean program with young men getting real educations.

But I also think he has it in him to become that on the court coach if he learns to recruit the kind of player that's fits his coaching philosophy.

I'm pissed off we played so bad and performed so poorly but I'm also patient and tolerant than some. I think age and really understanding the whole picture has something to do with that. Lol

03-14-2014 12:47 AM
Advertisement

tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Defense is a want to more than anything else. A player has to want it if he doesn't then no matter who the coach is the defense is going to be bad.

I know this will be a bad example, but look back at Jordan he wanted to be a great defender so he became a great defender. I think that's what made Tone so great is that he wanted to defend, he loved playing defense and that's something you can't coach.

You can't make a player enjoy playing defense. They either want it or they don't
03-14-2014 12:52 AM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
I have a better example, look at Golden State. Before Mark arrived, GS didn't even know how to spell defense.

Like Mark Jackson, Hollins instilled a defensive philosophy the team bought into. Pastner never even meetings defense as being a problem...always about "making shots".

If Bruce was coaching this same club, I'm certain he would at least have a defensive scheme installed the team could run and one they'd trust and we'd see far less of the chase the ball on the perimeter w/your head cut off style...
03-14-2014 12:58 AM
fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
He is a stud. We won't see him again. Best news today.
03-14-2014 01:00 AM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers

We need jimmy chitwood...

I play...coach stays
03-14-2014 01:09 AM
CrazyKMemphis Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Geoff Calkins article is spot on. Kids have career nights against our team. Napier being one of them.
03-14-2014 01:17 AM
Advertisement

mem-x Offline
On The Downhill Run Now.

I Root For: Tigers!
You Cannot coach Heart.
03-14-2014 02:23 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-14-2014 02:23 AM)mem-x Wrote:  You Cannot coach Heart.

Kids reflect what the coach deems as important...

After the Louisville game Josh said we won because we shot well...So what do the players do they hope they shoot well...After the Cincy game he says we lost because they made shots and we didn't....So what do the players do, hope they shoot better...

Saying we win or lose because of how well we shoot does nothing to motivate or direct your team...I don't care if you believe it...Wanting to shoot better is not going to make you do it. You have to motivate your team to do things that they are in control of...

After the Louisville loss Pitino said they lost because they lost focus and it appears they are goin to make sure that doesn't happen again. When you talk publicly you always have to say things to motivate your team to play better and talking about making shots does nothing.
03-14-2014 04:14 AM
HiTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UoM

For a team full of veterans, no one has heart. It's not going to come overnight either.
03-14-2014 06:08 AM
BrianJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-14-2014 04:14 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Kids reflect what the coach deems as important...

After the Louisville game Josh said we won because we shot well...So what do the players do they hope they shoot well...After the Cincy game he says we lost because they made shots and we didn't....So what do the players do, hope they shoot better...

Saying we win or lose because of how well we shoot does nothing to motivate or direct your team...I don't care if you believe it...Wanting to shoot better is not going to make you do it. You have to motivate your team to do things that they are in control of...

After the Louisville loss Pitino said they lost because they lost focus and it appears they are goin to make sure that doesn't happen again. When you talk publicly you always have to say things to motivate your team to play better and talking about making shots does nothing.

Well said.
03-14-2014 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.