Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Dominates Most Watched CBB List
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
ACC Dominates Most Watched CBB List
This is what the detractors didn't want to hear. You can talk all your pie in the sky ACC destruction theories but ESPN will not let their Basketball Cash Cow Conference get picked apart.

Only 3 of the 10 Most Watched games on ESPN didn't involve an ACC team(s).

Duke/Cuse games the top 2 games.

Guess what? Louisville is coming in and the league will have 4 national elite brands next year.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03/...-for-espn/
03-12-2014 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
RE: ACC Dominates Most Watched CBB List
Wow, it's really "Duke dominates most watched CBB list"
03-12-2014 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
yep, totally agree. espn needs ratings in the winter/spring too. espn has the most watched football (sec) and basketball (acc) products. espn will let go of the acc basketball product when you pry it from john skipper's cold, dead hand. and they will pay for it accordingly, too.

(03-12-2014 09:17 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  This is what the detractors didn't want to hear. You can talk all your pie in the sky ACC destruction theories but ESPN will not let their Basketball Cash Cow Conference get picked apart.

Guess what? Louisville is coming in and the league will have 4 national elite brands next year.

03-12-2014 09:33 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-12-2014 09:17 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  This is what the detractors didn't want to hear. You can talk all your pie in the sky ACC destruction theories but ESPN will not let their Basketball Cash Cow Conference get picked apart.

Kentucky for Florida State? Anyone? The list does not surprise me at all except for the lack of a slightly greater Big 10 presence. And you are correct in that Louisville will only strengthen the ACC's hold on this stat.
03-12-2014 09:46 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-12-2014 09:46 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Kentucky for Florida State? Anyone? The list does not surprise me at all except for the lack of a slightly greater Big 10 presence. And you are correct in that Louisville will only strengthen the ACC's hold on this stat.

Yes, Louisville will bring a Top 10 team, program, fan base to the ACC. Throw in the story lines of Pitino vs Boeheim/Coach K/Williams. I predict more great ratings next year.
03-12-2014 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(03-12-2014 09:53 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 09:46 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Yes, Louisville will bring a Top 10 team, program, fan base to the ACC. Throw in the story lines of Pitino vs Boeheim/Coach K/Williams. I predict more great ratings next year.

The only issue is while UofL will be a Top 25-30 team next year...our first year in the ACC will be a rebuild/reload with us losing Russ Smith and Montrezl Harrell.

Now in 2015-2016 we will be back to our normal Top 10 self. We will be extremely young but very talented in 2014-2015....04-cheers
03-12-2014 10:06 AM
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(03-12-2014 09:32 AM)Hitch Wrote:  Wow, it's really "Duke dominates most watched CBB list"
I wouldn't go quite this far, but Duke does have a unique appeal. But the ACC is going to be an incredible league with the recent additions.
03-12-2014 10:10 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

To be fair, ESPN let the Big East be picked apart when it was their basketball cash cow.
03-12-2014 10:14 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-12-2014 10:14 AM)mlb Wrote:  

To be fair, ESPN let the Big East be picked apart when it was their basketball cash cow.

But that was because the BE had spurned ESPN's offer and was going to the open market. If the BE had signed with another network, it would no longer be ESPN's cashxow. As far as ESPN was concerned, It was far better for ESPN to get Syracuse in the Acc playing the likes of Duke and UNC and playing on ESPN than for Syracuse to be playing on tv for an ESPN competitor.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 10:30 AM by cuseroc.)
03-12-2014 10:26 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc

But the Big East didn't produce these type of ratings on a regular basis. The addition if the Cuse & Ville along with little competition only makes ACC games mire interesting
03-12-2014 10:37 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville

The city of Louisville dominates the TV ratings for college hoops nationally, or at least has the last 10 years ...

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas.../11/60498/

And sure, about 30% of the eyes in Louisville are Kentucky fans, to go along with 50% Cardinal fans, and the rest "other" (Indiana probably being the next biggest fanbase, but Notre Dame is significant too, although probably not for hoops as much) ... but adding this market to the ACC, only strengthens the ACC TV position.

03-12-2014 10:38 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(03-12-2014 10:37 AM)mj4life Wrote:  But the Big East didn't produce these type of ratings on a regular basis. The addition if the Cuse & Ville along with little competition only makes ACC games mire interesting

3 years ago I'm pretty sure the top 5 games in college basketball were from the Big East. The top, by far, was the Big East championship between Syracuse and UConn.

This year, the conference that has been the most interesting, by far, has been the Big 12. Great basketball all around. Obviously they don't have the markets of the ACC hence their ratings haven't been as good.
03-12-2014 11:00 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

The Big East turned down ESPN's offer...to seek a better bid.
03-12-2014 11:03 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(03-12-2014 11:03 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The Big East turned down ESPN's offer...to seek a better bid.

And in 10 years when the ACC's rights are up they could easily do the same thing... just saying "never say never."
03-12-2014 11:04 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-12-2014 10:37 AM)mj4life Wrote:  

But the Big East didn't produce these type of ratings on a regular basis. The addition if the Cuse & Ville along with little competition only makes ACC games mire interesting

It is all about branding. Cuse was generally the strongest TV draw in the BE in hoops. They did VG numbers playing UConn, GTown, Ville in the BE. Duke is the best brand in Hoops currently...Cuse/Ville are both inside the Top 10 for brands. Any games involoving Duke/UNC/Cuse/Ville will be ratings gold mines as long as the teams are somewhere close to the Top 10.
03-12-2014 11:07 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-12-2014 10:38 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  The city of Louisville dominates the TV ratings for college hoops nationally, or at least has the last 10 years ...

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas.../11/60498/

Yeah, Louisville is to college hoops TV ratings what Birmingham is to college football TV ratings.
03-12-2014 11:08 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-12-2014 11:00 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 10:37 AM)mj4life Wrote:  But the Big East didn't produce these type of ratings on a regular basis. The addition if the Cuse & Ville along with little competition only makes ACC games mire interesting

3 years ago I'm pretty sure the top 5 games in college basketball were from the Big East. The top, by far, was the Big East championship between Syracuse and UConn.

This year, the conference that has been the most interesting, by far, has been the Big 12. Great basketball all around. Obviously they don't have the markets of the ACC hence their ratings haven't been as good.

I agree with you about the BE ratings. That league had some very good ratings nationally, probably better than any other league overall with all of the exciting match ups.

Regarding the Big 12, I think it has as much to do with match ups as it does markets, probably more. Outside of Kansas, there are no intriguing teams that will garner the nations attention.
03-12-2014 11:09 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-12-2014 11:04 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 11:03 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The Big East turned down ESPN's offer...to seek a better bid.

And in 10 years when the ACC's rights are up they could easily do the same thing... just saying "never say never."

True...but ESPN and the ACC have a ton of secrets. As long as ESPN is still the WWL I think the ACC will take more exposure over money.

Look at the current Big East: No one watches the games...they draw ESPNU or worse nums.
03-12-2014 11:10 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(03-12-2014 11:10 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Look at the current Big East: No one watches the games...they draw ESPNU or worse nums.

No doubt about that. That is Fox's fault. They haven't marketed FS1 well (nobody knows it is there, way down the sports channels on my Time Warner Cable system). They probably didn't get the entity needed to launch a channel (Catholic schools instead of schools whom a state and/or city truly attach to). In time Fox could easily become a viable option... but it will take a few years of consistent marketing to get it there.
03-12-2014 11:15 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-12-2014 11:15 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 11:10 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Look at the current Big East: No one watches the games...they draw ESPNU or worse nums.

No doubt about that. That is Fox's fault. They haven't marketed FS1 well (nobody knows it is there, way down the sports channels on my Time Warner Cable system). They probably didn't get the entity needed to launch a channel (Catholic schools instead of schools whom a state and/or city truly attach to). In time Fox could easily become a viable option... but it will take a few years of consistent marketing to get it there.

It's a major fail on Fox's part. Look at comparable games on ESPN and FS1 -- hell, forget ESPN for a minute, if you want, and compare ESPN2 with FS1 -- and the FS1 ratings are drawing between one-tenth and one-fifth the number of viewers.
03-12-2014 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.