Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Playing OSU in Columbus - should we?
Bookmark and Share
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Playing OSU in Columbus - should we?
A friend and I just wasted a few minutes, and a few brain cells, discussing whether UC should ever agree again to play OSU in Columbus with no return game back in Cincy (or even a parking lot in Xenia).

He feels that OSU continues to show us disrespect by not agreeing to a return trip. And since their leadership has been very vocal about doing most anything that would hurt UC, by agreeing to this one-off game UC is simply advancing their agenda of keeping us down. He believes that UC should simply ignore that school in Columbus until they are ready to agree to a home-and-home.

I, on the hand, am happy to play OSU in Columbus without a return game as long as they keep sending us the big paychecks. But its not the money why I want this game. Its the fact that the day will come when UC will find a way to beat the Buckeyes. And for me, that would probably feel better than winning a National Championship. If we never play them, we can't beat them. And then, if we get that one win, there will be no reason to ever agree to a one-off game. September 27, 2014 could be a really great day!

So what are your thoughts?

03-11-2014 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
RE: Playing OSU in Columbus - should we?
I agree. If we dont play them we have no chance of ever beating them. If Gunner comes out guns blazing this year and we pull the upset, our program would take off; I really mean that. I mean, a win over OSU would do do so much for us. It would energize every fan in cincinnati, it would give the team confidence for a remaining schedule against a bunch of nobodies, itd give us a quality win for the bcs rankings for the bowl bid, it would help recruiting, and ultimately, it would give the atheltic department a major boost. We cant do any of that if we dont try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

03-11-2014 10:44 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
UC's athletic department needs all the funds it can get. If a major program throws a large sum of money on the table, UC should take it with a smile.

03-11-2014 11:23 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-11-2014 11:23 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  UC's athletic department needs all the funds it can get. If a major program throws a large sum of money on the table, UC should take it with a smile.
^^^^
This.

Get used to life in "The American."

03-11-2014 11:31 PM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
For now, I think we should play them if given the chance (for the record, I think we get beat handedly this year). Like stated above, beating them would be quite a big deal. Plus they refuse to play down here, so that just means more money that we desperately need

However, whenever we get to a more prestigious conference, I say we drop them from whatever future meetings we have. Completely and entirely ignore them. We wouldn't need them at this point to further the program. Beating the big teams in that new conference would garner quite a bit of prestige and could further the athletics department without aO$U. If the football program starts to trend upwards with some big wins, we start getting better Ohio recruits, people start talkin about best team in Ohio so on and so forth, let them come to us with a home and home.

03-12-2014 12:20 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Better at least play close because getting pasted 42-17 coupled with more than 1 OOC loss may cause folks to find other things to do rather than come down for the killer home schedule.

03-12-2014 05:53 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(03-12-2014 05:53 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Better at least play close because getting pasted 42-17 coupled with more than 1 OOC loss may cause folks to find other things to do rather than come down for the killer home schedule.

Rag has a pretty good point, but this also.

Every time we get drilled by 3 TDs on the road in big stadiums, I get a little bit less enthusiastic about where the program is. 2006 OSU and 2008 OU were understandable, but we've recently been shellacked by Tennessee (about the worst SEC team that year), Illinois (same with Big Ten last year), and finally, a .500 UNC team.

The whole paycheck thing is fine, but I would hope we would be able to corral more than $888,000 for playing, in essence, two games in Columbus. The $888,000 figure was an inflation adjusted lump sum of the $1 millon that was payed in 2008 or 2009, something like that, to move one of the two remaining games.

Instead, I would have simply canceled the games and demanded more. Michigan is giving us $1.2 million for ONE game. AND a basketball series. We should expect no less from Columbus, and if we don't get it, we should continue looking at other options. Plenty of other schools would give us the deal UM gave us, IMO.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 06:19 AM by Ring of Black.)
03-12-2014 06:18 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

(03-11-2014 10:44 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I agree. If we dont play them we have no chance of ever beating them. If Gunner comes out guns blazing this year and we pull the upset, our program would take off; I really mean that. I mean, a win over OSU would do do so much for us. It would energize every fan in cincinnati, it would give the team confidence for a remaining schedule against a bunch of nobodies, itd give us a quality win for the bcs rankings for the bowl bid, it would help recruiting, and ultimately, it would give the atheltic department a major boost. We cant do any of that if we dont try.

This is exactly why they don't want to play us every year. We have absolutely everything to gain, and they have everything to lose. Why would they wan't to take that chance?

03-12-2014 06:55 AM
eastside cat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
All playing OSU gets us is money. Until they will play on our campus I am not sure it is worth it, although we need the money. Only playing is in Columbus is so disrespectful, putting us in a class with MAC schools, which is what they want for us. Even winning will just be considered a big upset and the talk will be how bad OSU played and not how good UC performed. It will be "OSU gave a game away". The bump in recruiting will be small. The only thing UC gains by playing OSU is money, nothing else.

03-12-2014 07:09 AM
Billy_Bearcat Online
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-12-2014 06:18 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 05:53 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Better at least play close because getting pasted 42-17 coupled with more than 1 OOC loss may cause folks to find other things to do rather than come down for the killer home schedule.

Every time we get drilled by 3 TDs on the road in big stadiums, I get a little bit less enthusiastic about where the program is. 2006 OSU and 2008 OU were understandable, but we've recently been shellacked by Tennessee (about the worst SEC team that year), Illinois (same with Big Ten last year), and finally, a .500 UNC team.

The whole paycheck thing is fine, but I would hope we would be able to corral more than $888,000 for playing, in essence, two games in Columbus. The $888,000 figure was an inflation adjusted lump sum of the $1 millon that was payed in 2008 or 2009, something like that, to move one of the two remaining games.

Instead, I would have simply canceled the games and demanded more. Michigan is giving us $1.2 million for ONE game. AND a basketball series. We should expect no less from Columbus, and if we don't get it, we should continue looking at other options. Plenty of other schools would give us the deal UM gave us, IMO.

Totally agree with both of you. Unfortunately, with Urbie at the helm, expect the margin of defeat to be as big as he can make it.

03-12-2014 07:16 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(03-12-2014 07:09 AM)eastside cat Wrote:  All playing OSU gets us is money. Until they will play on our campus I am not sure it is worth it, although we need the money. Only playing is in Columbus is so disrespectful, putting us in a class with MAC schools, which is what they want for us. Even winning will just be considered a big upset and the talk will be how bad OSU played and not how good UC performed. It will be "OSU gave a game away". The bump in recruiting will be small. The only thing UC gains by playing OSU is money, nothing else.
Unless it's an annual game and played in Cincinnati every 2 or 3 years, no thanks.

03-12-2014 07:21 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
we need return games at home. I think we the OSU deal is up we would have played about 6 games
up there and 1 in Cincy.

03-12-2014 07:24 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
Understand the reasoning behind all points. I know this is far more from the heart than the head but, I would rather have no football team than to become a paycheck seeking doormat to any team (OSU or otherwise).

03-12-2014 07:25 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Shocked that after all the talk about the conference situation and how uninteresting it is to see the team play awful teams, people are questioning playing OSU. I want the hardest teams we can find on the schedule OOC because there are enough easy games just in league play to keep us above water.

03-12-2014 07:33 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-12-2014 07:09 AM)eastside cat Wrote:  All playing OSU gets us is money. Until they will play on our campus I am not sure it is worth it, although we need the money. Only playing is in Columbus is so disrespectful, putting us in a class with MAC schools, which is what they want for us. Even winning will just be considered a big upset and the talk will be how bad OSU played and not how good UC performed. It will be "OSU gave a game away". The bump in recruiting will be small. The only thing UC gains by playing OSU is money, nothing else.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. If and when UC beats Ohio State expect to hear the phrases "It was UC's Superbowl" and "Ohio State played flat".

Frankly, if it is just about the money we could get the same pop by doing the same deal with a Michigan, Penn State or some of the big dogs in the SEC.

03-12-2014 07:34 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2014 07:16 AM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:18 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  

Totally agree with both of you. Unfortunately, with Urbie at the helm, expect the margin of defeat to be as big as he can make it.

Yep, Urb will run up the score if he can. I was at the OSU-Miami U. game a couple years ago and despite already having the game well in hand Meyer had Carlos Hyde still in the game and ran up another three TD's in the fourth quarter. As much as I detest Miami I thought it was totally classless.

03-12-2014 07:40 AM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(03-12-2014 06:55 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 10:44 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I agree. If we dont play them we have no chance of ever beating them. If Gunner comes out guns blazing this year and we pull the upset, our program would take off; I really mean that. I mean, a win over OSU would do do so much for us. It would energize every fan in cincinnati, it would give the team confidence for a remaining schedule against a bunch of nobodies, itd give us a quality win for the bcs rankings for the bowl bid, it would help recruiting, and ultimately, it would give the atheltic department a major boost. We cant do any of that if we dont try.

This is exactly why they don't want to play us every year. We have absolutely everything to gain, and they have everything to lose. Why would they wan't to take that chance?

Wouldn't that be true of pretty much every OOC team they play? I don't think UC is special in that regard.

03-12-2014 07:52 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-12-2014 07:52 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:55 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Wouldn't that be true of pretty much every OOC team they play? I don't think UC is special in that regard.

If you look at their usual OOC, not really. They typically play 3 teams with exactly 0 chance of being a threat and 1 team that is top notch and basically their equal. What they normally do not schedule is anyone in between that could upset them. Realistically, UC is squarely in that middle ground they're trying to avoid.

03-12-2014 07:54 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
There are certainly convincing arguments both ways but I would prefer not playing OSU when they refuse to return a game in either major sport. Has any other in-state team beaten them in football in the last 50 years? Many of their fans love to see the rest of Ohio come into Columbus for ritual beatings and boast about that. It probably makes them feel better in the early season until they receive their ritual beating by an SEC opponent at year end.

So if I'm UC I wouldn't play their game. Cincinnati's football program isn't at OSU's level--but it's a far cry from the MAC too. The Bearcats have played the best in BCS bowls, have beaten P5 teams in other bowls and hosted P5 schools such as Oklahoma and Oregon State. I too would rather have some home and home arrangement--even 2 for 1 with those P5 programs. Bring on Miami (FL) and many more to a newly expanded Nippert and UC can continue building a reputation as Ohio's other major player in college football.

03-12-2014 08:43 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2014 08:43 AM)indycat Wrote:  There are certainly convincing arguments both ways but I would prefer not playing OSU when they refuse to return a game in either major sport. Has any other in-state team beaten them in football in the last 50 years? Many of their fans love to see the rest of Ohio come into Columbus for ritual beatings and boast about that. It probably makes them feel better in the early season until they receive their ritual beating by an SEC opponent at year end.

So if I'm UC I wouldn't play their game. Cincinnati's football program isn't at OSU's level--but it's a far cry from the MAC too. The Bearcats have played the best in BCS bowls, have beaten P5 teams in other bowls and hosted P5 schools such as Oklahoma and Oregon State. I too would rather have some home and home arrangement--even 2 for 1 with those P5 programs. Bring on Miami (FL) and many more to a newly expanded Nippert and UC can continue building a reputation as Ohio's other major player in college football.

The last in state loss for OSU was in 1921 to Oberlin College.

03-12-2014 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.