Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Giplaye redshirt
Bookmark and Share
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
[split] Giplaye redshirt
And perhaps someone who's more versed in the redshirt system could clarify this, but did Giplaye fall under the window to where he could get the hardship? It's a percentage of the total minutes in the season or some crap.
And seriously though, tell me what I have said about Murry Bartow that's been factually incorrect. And again, I do not for one second believe he deserves an extension, and in fact it would be better not to offer it to him and see if he'll get pissed off and quit. Save the $$$ on the buyout and let him take another job.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 04:19 PM by ETSUfan1.)
03-10-2014 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Official Game Thread: AST Round 2 @ FGCU (L 64-69)
Giplaye wouldn't be eligible for a redshirt, among other things he played in a game past the mid point in the season.
03-10-2014 09:27 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Link to the specific rule detailing medical redshirts/6th year of eligibility?
03-11-2014 12:44 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
http://www.google.com is hard
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/...dships.pdf

A medical hardship is a form of relief that a university’s student-athlete will receive after a
university’s application to the conference only if:
• the student-athlete’s injury or illness was incapacitating;
• the student-athlete’s incapacitating injury or illness occurred during the first half of the season and before competition in more then two contests or 20% of the season’s
scheduled contests (whichever is greater); and
• the injury or illness is supported by contemporaneous medical documentation

As I said among other things, the fact he played at all I think that would weaken the case for a medical redshirt based on his heart condition anyway.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 01:24 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-11-2014 01:18 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
Giplaye's deal with not being able to redshirt is because he's a transfer. For reasons not known/understood (by me, maybe others know) the NCAA never, ever gives an extra year to transfers, no matter how legit the reason. If he had originally signed here, could have gotten a redshirt, sixth year, whatever. But they don't allow transfers to do that. So this year was gonna be a lost year, whether he played or not. Clearly he was not in good enough shape, and it's perfectly understandable why he wasn't in good enough shape, Buccaneerlover exactly spot on correct. It's one thing to comfortably walk around 3-4 months after heart surgery, but something else entirely trying to run hard, take deep breaths, jump... there's no way that can feel good. And I don't know anybody that's lifted weights (willingly) after having a chest cracked open. I also can't imagine what would be in a kid's head after having heart surgery.... probably not much basketball. Probably a blessing both that the problem was discovered before something bad happened, and that after surgery he was even able to stay in school and keep eligible. He didn't help us any in games, but I understand he practiced regularly and that may have helped the other kids. Just a tough situation, nobody's fault, probably the best outcome that could be expected. Couldn't get the year back because of the NCAA, and that's the reason he got in a few scattered games, so I'm told.
03-11-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2014 01:33 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  Giplaye's deal with not being able to redshirt is because he's a transfer. For reasons not known/understood (by me, maybe others know) the NCAA never, ever gives an extra year to transfers, no matter how legit the reason. If he had originally signed here, could have gotten a redshirt, sixth year, whatever. But they don't allow transfers to do that. So this year was gonna be a lost year, whether he played or not. Clearly he was not in good enough shape, and it's perfectly understandable why he wasn't in good enough shape, Buccaneerlover exactly spot on correct. It's one thing to comfortably walk around 3-4 months after heart surgery, but something else entirely trying to run hard, take deep breaths, jump... there's no way that can feel good. And I don't know anybody that's lifted weights (willingly) after having a chest cracked open. I also can't imagine what would be in a kid's head after having heart surgery.... probably not much basketball. Probably a blessing both that the problem was discovered before something bad happened, and that after surgery he was even able to stay in school and keep eligible. He didn't help us any in games, but I understand he practiced regularly and that may have helped the other kids. Just a tough situation, nobody's fault, probably the best outcome that could be expected. Couldn't get the year back because of the NCAA, and that's the reason he got in a few scattered games, so I'm told.

Post a link to something saying a transfer never gets a 6th year?
03-11-2014 01:39 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

If I knew where it was on the NCAA website, I would; I'm a fan, not an expert. Not a clue where to find it. There's several articles on Bleacherreport.com that reference it, and I'm almost certain I heard Bartow say it on radio, but it might have been a JCPress article too.
03-11-2014 02:20 PM
Advertisement

Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-11-2014 02:20 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  If I knew where it was on the NCAA website, I would; I'm a fan, not an expert. Not a clue where to find it. There's several articles on Bleacherreport.com that reference it, and I'm almost certain I heard Bartow say it on radio, but it might have been a JCPress article too.

But I can directly attest to the heart surgery comments.
03-11-2014 02:22 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2014 02:22 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 02:20 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  If I knew where it was on the NCAA website, I would; I'm a fan, not an expert. Not a clue where to find it. There's several articles on Bleacherreport.com that reference it, and I'm almost certain I heard Bartow say it on radio, but it might have been a JCPress article too.

Well the reason I asked is basketball transfer do get a 6th year of eligibility at their new school. Scott Martin transferred from Purdue after his freshman year to Notre Dame, he got a 6th year for torn knee ligaments. He played last year so not like it was something that happened in the distant past. If torn knee ligaments get you a 6th year I would have bet on open heart surgery. Maybe Giplaye doesn't want a 6th year, at this point I doubt the kid will be here next year. But blaming the NCAA sounds like an easy excuse for Bartow if he said it. I didn't hear him, you are saying he said that.

Link about Martin.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...6th-season
Quote:SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame forward Scott Martin has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA and will play again for the Irish next season.

Martin, who averaged 9.5 points last season as the Irish went 22-12, transferred to Notre Dame in June of 2008 following his freshman year at Purdue. After sitting out the 2008-09 season as a transfer, Martin missed the entire 2009-10 season with a torn knee ligament.

Martin has started all 66 games he has played for the Irish the last two seasons and averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 rebounds. He has a degree in history and computer applications and is currently enrolled in graduate school. The NCAA earlier rejected a sixth season for Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitis.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 02:43 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-11-2014 02:41 PM
Advertisement

BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
(03-11-2014 02:41 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 02:22 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  

Well the reason I asked is basketball transfer do get a 6th year of eligibility at their new school. Scott Martin transferred from Purdue after his freshman year to Notre Dame, he got a 6th year for torn knee ligaments. He played last year so not like it was something that happened in the distant past. If torn knee ligaments get you a 6th year I would have bet on open heart surgery. Maybe Giplaye doesn't want a 6th year, at this point I doubt the kid will be here next year. But blaming the NCAA sounds like an easy excuse for Bartow if he said it. I didn't hear him, you are saying he said that.

Link about Martin.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...6th-season
Quote:SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame forward Scott Martin has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA and will play again for the Irish next season.

Martin, who averaged 9.5 points last season as the Irish went 22-12, transferred to Notre Dame in June of 2008 following his freshman year at Purdue. After sitting out the 2008-09 season as a transfer, Martin missed the entire 2009-10 season with a torn knee ligament.

Martin has started all 66 games he has played for the Irish the last two seasons and averaged 9.6 points and 5.2 rebounds. He has a degree in history and computer applications and is currently enrolled in graduate school. The NCAA earlier rejected a sixth season for Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitis.

Martin's transfer to Notre Dame from Purdue was so that he could be closer to his sick father.
http://articles.southbendtribune.com/201...-mike-brey
Quote:One of the reasons Martin left Purdue for Notre Dame was to help his father, also named Scott, deal with a rare form of eye cancer.

While sitting out his transfer season, Martin often was dismissed from practices so he could accompany his father to Chicago for medical treatments.

It was that reason that allowed Martin to actively pursue a sixth season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/i...-year-ncaa
Quote:Martin, a Valparaiso, Ind., native, played his freshman year at Purdue in 2007-08 before transferring to Notre Dame to be closer to his sick father, sitting out the next season and then missing the 2009-10 campaign because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered in a preseason workout.

The transfer cost Martin a year of competition as he had to sit out but the transfer was due to circumstances the NCAA likely deemed beyond his control. A second year of competition was also lost due to the knee surgery which was also likely deemed to be beyond his control. As I read things, for players to be granted a 6th year, they must be deprived of two years of competition due to reasons beyond their control.

On Extensions of 5 year clock/6th year

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/...ck-ext.pdf

Giplaye losing the 2012-2013 season was not beyond his control as he could have stayed at Providence and not lost the year of competition. At least I assume he did not transfer to ETSU to be closer to a sick family member or for some other reason the NCAA would deem beyond his control. The issue here is not necessarily him receiving a medical hardship for the 2013-14 season but his being granted an extension of the 5 year clock/6th year.

Another example of a transfer receiving a 6th year is Creighton's Grant Gibbs. He was granted a 6th year after it was shown that he lost one season at Gonzaga to a shoulder injury and that he would not have been able to play his transfer year regardless of transferring or not due to a knee injury from which he was recovering that year.

http://creighton.scout.com/2/1304535.html

Stranger things have happened but Giplaye appears to have a weak case for a 6th year based on the fact that he lost one year simply because he decided to transfer.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 03:58 PM by BucsFan.)
03-11-2014 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

Exactly. You can even play without having to sit a year if the NCAA says so, but if you tear something up you may not get the year back. Happened with Tennessee and a kid that played I think at Iowa, transferred back and played for Pearl without sitting a year because his Dad was literally dying. And it's whatever the NCAA grants, with "grants" being the keyword. Jerry Colquitt tore an ACL in the UCLA game his 5th (senior) season at UT in 1995 I think; NCAA did not give him sixth year. One of the worst things I've ever heard of NCAA doing.

I don't know that it's an NCAA rule as much as policy that they just don't generally grant extra years to transfers. And it's just what I've been told.
03-11-2014 03:49 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
And since we have managed to hijack this thread with something completely unrelated to the FGCU game, Fan1 may want to take the last several posts about Giplaye here and create a separate thread about Giplaye and 6th years of eligibility. Might be handy to do that for future reference at some point..... 07-coffee3
03-11-2014 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.