Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Congrats to Sean Obi on making the C-USA All-Freshman Team
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Very well deserved...a good spot in a miserable season

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-ba...14aab.html
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 10:48 AM by 07owl.)
03-11-2014 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl25 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Congrats to Sean Obi on making the C-USA All-Freshman Team
Let's hope that he stays to enjoy a sophomore season!
03-11-2014 10:55 AM
07owl Offline
All American

(03-11-2014 10:55 AM)Owl25 Wrote:  Let's hope that he stays to enjoy a sophomore season!

I really hate that this is a concern for me too
03-11-2014 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Owl25 Offline
Water Engineer

The body language of the players and some of the murmurings from players/parents makes me think that it's a sad reality that Obi could move on now that the season has almost concluded. You have to hope that our talented basketball players think enough of the school and their experiences outside of the program to stay. There certainly isn't much about the program that would keep anyone talented here. Obi has such tremendous upside, and would be a great centerpiece for a new coach to build around. I just hope that Dr. K. makes his decision on Braun very quickly so that Rice is one of the first names that coaches consider when the annual coaching carousel begins moving. If we wait until after the Final Four, we will have waited too long. So many decisions will be made over the next few weeks.

When Memphis hired Josh Pastner to replace Calipari, they really took a chance given some of the "names" they might have been able to hire. I wish we'd overlooked Braun and went after someone like Pastner the year before Memphis snagged him. To me, that is someone who would be optimal at Rice -- grew up in Houston, very familiar with Texas based talent/AAU programs, young, hungry and a solid basketball mind.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 11:29 AM by Owl25.)
03-11-2014 11:28 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

If a player really likes Rice but doesn't think Braun can be successful at Rice, I really hope they would have the courage to schedule a sit-down with our new Athletic Director to express their concerns. I think this is true for all sports.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 01:27 PM by mrbig.)
03-11-2014 01:26 PM
Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-11-2014 11:28 AM)Owl25 Wrote:  The body language of the players and some of the murmurings from players/parents makes me think that it's a sad reality that Obi could move on now that the season has almost concluded. You have to hope that our talented basketball players think enough of the school and their experiences outside of the program to stay. There certainly isn't much about the program that would keep anyone talented here. Obi has such tremendous upside, and would be a great centerpiece for a new coach to build around. I just hope that Dr. K. makes his decision on Braun very quickly so that Rice is one of the first names that coaches consider when the annual coaching carousel begins moving. If we wait until after the Final Four, we will have waited too long. So many decisions will be made over the next few weeks.

When Memphis hired Josh Pastner to replace Calipari, they really took a chance given some of the "names" they might have been able to hire. I wish we'd overlooked Braun and went after someone like Pastner the year before Memphis snagged him. To me, that is someone who would be optimal at Rice -- grew up in Houston, very familiar with Texas based talent/AAU programs, young, hungry and a solid basketball mind.

Memphis took very little chance on Josh Pastner.

It was a very public search and after one week, every interviewed coach turned the Memphis job down. Calipari was poaching the entire recruiting class and taking it to UK.

Pastner was offered the job as he was packing to join Calipari.

One note: Josh was interviewed for the Rice job after Wilson was fired. That job went to Ben Braun. Also of interest is that Wilson spent 2 years on Pastner's staff.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
03-11-2014 04:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.