Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I thought people wanted equality.
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
I thought people wanted equality.
I write contracts and complete bids everyday in a competitive business. I've noticed that lately, everytime I sign up for a county commission or read through a new bid, they ask if my company is a "Disadvantaged Company." What this means, is are we run by a minority, or a woman. Then it states that they're likely to go with the "Disadvantaged" company in order to give them a chance.

I guess what I don't understand is why people fight for equality, but have no problem being referred to as "disadvantaged" as long as it helps them win a bid. I would think minorities and women would be offended at the idea of being considered a disadvantage.
03-11-2014 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: I thought people wanted equality.
Go find a black guy and make him, or a black woman would even be better, a junior partner who gets $10 an hour twice a month and bam you are one of 'those' companies.

If everybody else can abuse the pointless system why swim against it?
03-11-2014 10:34 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
If I start a company, I'm going to look for a Native American woman that has served in the military and suffered a disability during her service. Make her the "owner" and pay her a nice salary.
03-11-2014 10:36 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(03-11-2014 10:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I write contracts and complete bids everyday in a competitive business. I've noticed that lately, everytime I sign up for a county commission or read through a new bid, they ask if my company is a "Disadvantaged Company." What this means, is are we run by a minority, or a woman. Then it states that they're likely to go with the "Disadvantaged" company in order to get tax breaks.

I guess what I don't understand is why people fight for equality, but have no problem being referred to as "disadvantaged" as long as it helps them win a bid. I would think minorities and women would be offended at the idea of being considered a disadvantage.

FIFY.
03-11-2014 10:42 AM
All American

My company deals with contractors all the time and I know for a fact that two of the "female owned" businesses are actually run by their husbands. The wife is just a political figure to get subsidies and tax breaks from big daddy govt.
03-11-2014 10:44 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(03-11-2014 10:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Then it states that they're likely to go with the "Disadvantaged" company in order to give them a chance.

I'm not really seeing a disadvantage there.....except for your company.
03-11-2014 10:45 AM
Advertisement

AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
My neighbor runs a business that is in his wife’s name… so they get minority status.

She’s a recent naturalized citizen. Not that it’s a big deal, but it seems
a bit strange that foreign born persons can have greater access to
Government induced affirmative action than a natural born citizen.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 10:48 AM by AngryAphid.)
03-11-2014 10:47 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(03-11-2014 10:36 AM)gdunn Wrote:  If I start a company, I'm going to look for a Native American woman that has served in the military and suffered a disability during her service. Make her the "owner" and pay her a nice salary.

It would help if she is gay too.
03-11-2014 10:47 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Equality is not the goal. Groups want special treatment. White empathy makes it possible.
03-11-2014 10:50 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(03-11-2014 10:47 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 10:36 AM)gdunn Wrote:  If I start a company, I'm going to look for a Native American woman that has served in the military and suffered a disability during her service. Make her the "owner" and pay her a nice salary.

It would help if she is gay too.

Now we're asking for too much 03-lmfao
03-11-2014 10:53 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(03-11-2014 10:34 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Go find a black guy and make him, or a black woman would even be better, a junior partner who gets $10 an hour twice a month and bam you are one of 'those' companies.

Yep, we were told by Hines County, MS that if we didn't have 50% blacks and a black salesman, and a black technician then we don't even need to bother bidding for their facility.
03-11-2014 10:54 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(03-11-2014 10:45 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 10:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Then it states that they're likely to go with the "Disadvantaged" company in order to give them a chance.

I'm not really seeing a disadvantage there.....except for your company.

Exactly... I guess its more of that mythical white privilege...
03-11-2014 10:55 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2014 10:54 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 10:34 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Go find a black guy and make him, or a black woman would even be better, a junior partner who gets $10 an hour twice a month and bam you are one of 'those' companies.

Yep, we were told by Hines County, MS that if we didn't have 50% blacks and a black salesman, and a black technician then we don't even need to bother bidding for their facility.

That's insane.

The end result is a county and a state who can't afford to overspend to overspend in the name of fraudulent diversity.

Got to love it!
03-11-2014 10:56 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(03-11-2014 10:47 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  My neighbor runs a business that is in his wife’s name… so they get minority status.

She’s a recent naturalized citizen. Not that it’s a big deal, but it seems
a bit strange that foreign born persons can have greater access to
Government induced affirmative action than a natural born citizen.

That's a triple minority right there, man... That's like a Yahtzee.
03-11-2014 10:56 AM
All American

(03-11-2014 10:56 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

That's insane.

The end result is a county and a state who can't afford to overspend to overspend in the name of fraudulent diversity.

Got to love it!

Sometimes it feels like we really do live in the world of Atlas Shrugged.
03-11-2014 10:58 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(03-11-2014 10:56 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

That's insane.

Got to love it!

Yessir, it's absolutely ridiculous...

I guess people don't mind being considered a disadvantage as long as it puts them a step ahead. F*cking mind blowing.
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

To be behind is to be ahead! That should be our new national motto.
pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
(03-11-2014 10:50 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Equality is not the goal. Groups want special treatment. White empathy makes it possible.

Equality used to be the goal and widespread racism/sexism used to be the reason. Now you are very correct...it's that certain groups of people want special treatment. There's no reason except these voting blocs of people have pushed politicians to do it.

Unless, some gov't agency has been known to reject contracts due to racism or sexism in the last 20 years, there really is no reason why these statuses should exist.
03-11-2014 10:59 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(03-11-2014 10:29 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I write contracts and complete bids everyday in a competitive business. I've noticed that lately, everytime I sign up for a county commission or read through a new bid, they ask if my company is a "Disadvantaged Company." What this means, is are we run by a minority, or a woman. Then it states that they're likely to go with the "Disadvantaged" company in order to give them a chance.

Being "disadvantaged" does not necessarily mean minority owned. It also can just mean "small business." I mean, we constantly see people on this board talk about how the government regulations screw over small businesses... as a federal contractor I see lots of small business set asides.

Some are 8A (minority owned small businesses), some are SDVOB (Small Disabled Veteran Owned Businesses), some or just small business in general (under a certain revenue amount). But... to win any substantial money, they go out full and open. That means the small business that goes after that has to go up against Northrup, Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics, etc... and the gov't 99.9% of the time goes with one of those in the full and open because of the supposed "risk" involved with the small business.
03-11-2014 11:00 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

They are getting smarter about that. They've seen companies do that. My company gets audited at least 1 time per year, if not more than 1, to try and see if it truly is owned and operated by a veteran (it is, the CEO and COO are disabled veterans, the Director of Scientific work is a veteran, the Director of Engineering is a veteran). We all get interviewed... it is pretty ridiculous how often they visit just to try and prove we aren't who we say we are.
03-11-2014 11:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.