Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Take a deep breath.......
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Everyone take a deep breath. We are going to be ok. In the worst season we have had in the last 15 years we went .500 ----

We will be fine. There is going to be some roster turnover, some obvious (the seniors) and some maybe not so obvious. New players coming in and becoming eligible that will help.

Stay positive. I mean look at Polish Hammer after 1 winning football season in the last 20 years. He is still upbeat.

We have a great athletic program, a great AD, and we will respond by getting the right players to help us. I am confident in that.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 08:42 PM by dannyb73.)
03-10-2014 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GFlash68 Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
RE: Take a deep breath.......
Nice words of optimism. I needed that.
03-10-2014 08:59 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-10-2014 08:42 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Everyone take a deep breath. We are going to be ok. In the worst season we have had in the last 15 years we went .500 ----

We will be fine. There is going to be some roster turnover, some obvious (the seniors) and some maybe not so obvious. New players coming in and becoming eligible that will help.

Stay positive. I mean look at Polish Hammer after 1 winning football season in the last 20 years. He is still upbeat.

We have a great athletic program, a great AD, and we will respond by getting the right players to help us. I am confident in that.

I don't necessarily disagree with what your saying but do we have the right guy in charge of the ship?
03-10-2014 09:09 PM
jbails0881 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Boy, I hope you're right. This year wasn't fun and for the first time I can ever remember it wasn't fun going to games. It has to change as I need KSU Basketball to be a stress reducer not a stress increaser.
03-10-2014 09:11 PM
MACFAN Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MAC
(03-10-2014 08:42 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Everyone take a deep breath. We are going to be ok. In the worst season we have had in the last 15 years we went .500 ----

Did you purposely not mention "great coach" in your last sentence?
03-10-2014 09:16 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-10-2014 09:16 PM)MACFAN Wrote:  

Did you purposely not mention "great coach" in your last sentence?

Believe it or not, I did not purposely do anything. Rob may turn out to be great, but I am not ready to tag him with that moniker just yet. He has, however, proven over the years he can recruit. So I believe in that skill set he has and have faith we will get the proper course correction.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 10:03 PM by dannyb73.)
03-10-2014 09:38 PM
Advertisement

FlashintheFan Offline
Water Engineer

Looking at our roster of people that played significant minutes, there is no one that could start on a MAC championship team. At least not on any of our past teams. We have some good role players but not any true starters. Yes we need some quality turnover.
03-10-2014 09:39 PM
Lambert58 Offline
1st String

I Root For: KSU
It's way too soon to characterize our AD as "great". Other than one football season, Nielsen inherited a lot of on-field success from Kennedy. Fundraising for athletics is stronger and our academics have improved. Volleyball is improved but basketball is a big question mark. Despite the Wheeler-wrestling team debacle, I remain optimistic but am not willing to accept "great" quite yet.
03-11-2014 07:43 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-11-2014 07:43 AM)Lambert58 Wrote:  It's way too soon to characterize our AD as "great". Other than one football season, Nielsen inherited a lot of on-field success from Kennedy. Fundraising for athletics is stronger and our academics have improved. Volleyball is improved but basketball is a big question mark. Despite the Wheeler-wrestling team debacle, I remain optimistic but am not willing to accept "great" quite yet.

I accept that as your opinion. I mean, what you say is more than fair.

I don't, however, want the point to the thread to become lost (which seems to happen a lot on our board). We are going to be fine. There is going to be some player turnover and a few "surprises" that will allow us to get back to where we all want to be sooner than you think.
03-11-2014 07:48 AM
KSU 93 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent State Univ
Will the "surprises" be players that can step in and play immediately? We need 1-2 studs that opposing defenses have to gameplay to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-11-2014 07:51 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(03-11-2014 07:43 AM)Lambert58 Wrote:  It's way too soon to characterize our AD as "great". Other than one football season, Nielsen inherited a lot of on-field success from Kennedy. Fundraising for athletics is stronger and our academics have improved. Volleyball is improved but basketball is a big question mark. Despite the Wheeler-wrestling team debacle, I remain optimistic but am not willing to accept "great" quite yet.
Bingo! Far too early to declare him as great. Some coaching hires have been misses, while some others are still up for debate. The one perceived positive hire had one so-so season and one great one...with somebody else's players and he didn't exactly fill the cupboard while there before quickly bolting. Fundraising might be up, but chasing the big whales while totally ignoring the lesser donors is not a good approach either.
03-11-2014 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Lambert58 Offline
1st String

I Root For: KSU
(03-11-2014 07:48 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  

I accept that as your opinion. I mean, what you say is more than fair.

I don't, however, want the point to the thread to become lost (which seems to happen a lot on our board). We are going to be fine. There is going to be some player turnover and a few "surprises" that will allow us to get back to where we all want to be sooner than you think.

It happens all of the time on this board. lol It certainly is NOT time to panic. I like Rob as a coach. I've had the opportunity over the years to watch him and I think he possesses the intangibles to get us back on track. Our "worst" year in recent memory is better than a lot of other programs average year so, yes, we are ok.
03-11-2014 09:46 AM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

I'm wondering who DannyB is... from Memphis?? That's a long ways from here to have such great inside information. Just sayin'. Gosh... you sound like ur sitting in the coach office. 04-rock
03-11-2014 03:31 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-11-2014 03:31 PM)FlashPan Wrote:  I'm wondering who DannyB is... from Memphis?? That's a long ways from here to have such great inside information. Just sayin'. Gosh... you sound like ur sitting in the coach office. 04-rock

I am nothing other than a fan who has 3-4 contacts/friendships who can provide me a lot of basketball inside information. When it comes to the other KSU sports, I am mostly just a cheering fan.

To answer a previous post, keep in mind Jimmy Hall will immediately make us a better team. He can score in the post and will open things up on the perimeter simply by being in the game. Some of the guys we are looking at will absolutely be able to help immediately. Lastly, one guy I keep hearing positives about that most on this board are worried about (because of his numbers) is Akbar. Time will tell, but seeing as how we got next to nothing from our seniors this year, I like how things are going to look next season.
03-11-2014 07:57 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

OK - I'll still appreciate this season, even though it was such a downer.

I'm surprised the team could drop so far in the standings in one year. From last year, we lost Chris Evans (yes, a All-MAC first team) and Holt (pretty much replaced by Jackson) and Pope (solid player, even if he couldn't do the scholar side of it). The transfers and recruits, and player development should have kept us up.

But looking at it again, it was just a drop from 21-14 to 16-16; so just a 2 1/2 game drop.
03-11-2014 08:50 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies
(03-11-2014 07:57 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:31 PM)FlashPan Wrote:  I'm wondering who DannyB is... from Memphis?? That's a long ways from here to have such great inside information. Just sayin'. Gosh... you sound like ur sitting in the coach office. 04-rock

I am nothing other than a fan who has 3-4 contacts/friendships who can provide me a lot of basketball inside information. When it comes to the other KSU sports, I am mostly just a cheering fan.

To answer a previous post, keep in mind Jimmy Hall will immediately make us a better team. He can score in the post and will open things up on the perimeter simply by being in the game. Some of the guys we are looking at will absolutely be able to help immediately. Lastly, one guy I keep hearing positives about that most on this board are worried about (because of his numbers) is Akbar. Time will tell, but seeing as how we got next to nothing from our seniors this year, I like how things are going to look next season.

Danny,
My math tells me that with the LOI on record, and with our seniors, we have no more room for unknown help. This puzzles me as you have implied that more help may be coming and I know for a fact that a few weeks ago, Sendy was on a recruiting trip. Can you please shed some light on this situation?
03-11-2014 10:12 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-11-2014 10:12 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:57 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  

Danny,
My math tells me that with the LOI on record, and with our seniors, we have no more room for unknown help. This puzzles me as you have implied that more help may be coming and I know for a fact that a few weeks ago, Sendy was on a recruiting trip. Can you please shed some light on this situation?

Mathematically, you are correct. But think about this:

2 years ago, Eric Gaines left early in the summer (I heard about it while in Omaha for the CWS). Last year, Pope left really late opening up a spot. You have to expect that some players will leave because of a lack of PT, others may be asked to leave, and yet potentially someone who we think is supposed to come may change his mind. Nothing is set in stone, but you can expect some changes.
03-11-2014 11:08 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies
Quote:Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Phenom Hoop Report
HomePower PollsRankings Phenom Reports Features Events TwitterTestimonialsMediaAbout UsForums
Raasean Davis to Kent St
kent st logo
Paulding High School senior Raasean Davis committed to Kent St on Wednesday. The 6’7” power forward Davis saw his recruitment take off in July. We both curiously wondered, at Peach St, why he wasn’t getting more love. It was that tournament it all turned around for him.
Davis felt a trust with the coaches at Kent St, he also felt that the love, that they really wanted him, “they were consistent with keeping in contact with me. They, also, were the realest with me.” Davis went on to speak about the visit and how seeing these actions, in person, tipped Kent St over the edge for him, “the visit sealed the deal…it wasn’t the campus so much, it was the coaches and the players. I just felt the love. From there my decision was pretty easy.”
Davis, a Smyrna Stars AAU alum, is very strong with a speed endline to endline. He has big strong hands and long strong arms. Davis rebounds the ball at a high level and his feet and hips are developing each time out. These attributes allowed Davis to feel a comfort with the system that Kent St runs and how they plan on implementing him, “they throw the ball into the post a lot. As a four, they will want me to dribble on the free throw line and below.”
Davis summed up the conversation saying, “I just knew it was the place for me.”
Davis chose Kent St over a final group that included Wichita St. Davis is the second commitment in the Kent St 2014 class, he joins 6’5” Ohio wing Rosel Hurley. Davis is the 23rd rated senior in Georgia, according to PHR.

http://phenomhoopreport.com/raasean-davis-kent-st/

Does this give us a little hope for next year?
03-12-2014 11:54 AM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

A little hope, but it's hard to expect Raasean to contribute for a couple of years. We have a full roster, with 15 players. It would be good to get Davis or Hurley to redshirt, if that's in their plans.

It's kind of disappointing, with all the scholarships out, that there's nothing to look forward to in the April signing period.
03-12-2014 04:48 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(03-12-2014 04:48 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  A little hope, but it's hard to expect Raasean to contribute for a couple of years. We have a full roster, with 15 players. It would be good to get Davis or Hurley to redshirt, if that's in their plans.

It's kind of disappointing, with all the scholarships out, that there's nothing to look forward to in the April signing period.

Keep your eyes and ears open in April. 03-shhhh
03-12-2014 05:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.