Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nova wins Big East and ends 32 year drought...
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Nova wins Big East and ends 32 year drought...
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...ver-xavier

"CINCINNATI -- Nobody on the current Villanova roster had even been born the last time the Wildcats stood alone atop the Big East.

The 32-year drought ended Thursday night when Darrun Hilliard scored 19 points and No. 6 Villanova clinched the outright Big East championship for the first time since the 1981-82 season by holding off undermanned Xavier 77-70."

Is anyone else scratching their head? Are Villanova and the pundits really claiming they ended the drought from the old Big East days...? 01-wingedeagle It's great that they won their league, but they also didn't have to face any of the teams that had carried the old Big East into the modern era. They really should have retired the "Big East" name when it all fell apart. 07-coffee3
03-07-2014 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiesnyc Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Nova wins Big East and ends 32 year drought...
(03-07-2014 01:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...ver-xavier

"CINCINNATI -- Nobody on the current Villanova roster had even been born the last time the Wildcats stood alone atop the Big East.

The 32-year drought ended Thursday night when Darrun Hilliard scored 19 points and No. 6 Villanova clinched the outright Big East championship for the first time since the 1981-82 season by holding off undermanned Xavier 77-70."

Is anyone else scratching their head? Are Villanova and the pundits really claiming they ended the drought from the old Big East days...? 01-wingedeagle It's great that they won their league, but they also didn't have to face any of the teams that had carried the old Big East into the modern era. They really should have retired the "Big East" name when it all fell apart. 07-coffee3

It's such a joke that they're actually continuing records as if it's the same conference. How much money did we get for selling the name? The best program in the history of the real Big East was UConn.
03-07-2014 01:50 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I wouldn't worry about it. They paid a lot of money for that name. In time it may become as meaningful as the 'Atlantic 10'.

The AAC has already established its name in basketball.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 01:54 PM by bearcatfan.)
03-07-2014 01:53 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
The real players are gone, so realistically, it isn't a big east title anymore.

Small Bunch Title is more like it.
03-07-2014 03:21 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(03-07-2014 01:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...ver-xavier

[Image: 1314116326945.gif]
03-07-2014 04:14 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
This reminds me of Rice winning the C-USA title (or even Marshall). Never a contender in C-USA 2.0, as soon as all the norms leave, they win it.

I guarantee you, no one with knowledge of the Big East or C-USA is impressed by this feat.
03-07-2014 04:21 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Found a Big East forum, yes there is one. There is essentially a Big East v A-10 thread, funny stuff.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 04:28 PM by bearcatlawjd.)
03-07-2014 04:27 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-07-2014 01:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Is anyone else scratching their head? Are Villanova and the pundits really claiming they ended the drought from the old Big East days...? 01-wingedeagle It's great that they won their league, but they also didn't have to face any of the teams that had carried the old Big East into the modern era.

WTF? Villanova just won the Big East, and there's nothing else to be said. The Big East went through a lot of permutations over the years.

As a Georgetown fan I don't like it one bit, but it's the truth. And I also wish the Hoyas and Huskies were still in the same Big East conference. But things have changed, in case you hadn't noticed.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 04:51 PM by quo vadis.)
03-07-2014 04:37 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-07-2014 04:37 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  WTF? Villanova just won the Big East, and there's nothing else to be said. The Big East went through a lot of permutations over the years.

As a Georgetown fan I don't like it one bit, but it's the truth. And I also wish the Hoyas and Huskies were still in the same Big East conference. But things have changed, in case you hadn't noticed.

F Nova! The only other Big East team in the Top 25 is Creighton (which was NOT in the Big East as of last year)..

So, saying their title is resulting from just another "permutation" of the original Big East lacks sound critical judgement.

The truth is, the New Big East in this "permutation" was a name that was bought. The C7 went out and started a new league and bought a name for it.

That's what happened.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 05:04 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-07-2014 05:02 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Some of youguys make me laugh. Why are u still so bitter? Sure the BE isn't what it once was but the american certainly can't compare to what the BE once was either Let it go and move on
03-07-2014 05:31 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
What is funny is that most of us BE-"holdovers" are used to hearing the inevitable qualifier that used to get placed on the BE to illegitimize the achievement. Like "Villanova won their first BE title....in a conference that lacked all the traditional power programs." Or, "Villanova won the BE title....but it has to lack the sweetness that would have accompanied that accomplishment just two years ago."

Yes. Villanova won the Big East. Congratulations. Winning the BE is not what it used to be.
03-07-2014 05:43 PM
Advertisement

CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
Just imagine how tough the BE really was, it took everybody of any importance to leave ( except G'Town) before Villanova could win a title and they did it the first year. Just shows how watered down it now is and will be for years to come.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 05:59 PM by CincyBro.)
03-07-2014 05:58 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(03-07-2014 05:31 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Some of youguys make me laugh. Why are u still so bitter? Sure the BE isn't what it once was but the american certainly can't compare to what the BE once was either Let it go and move on

03-lmfao the new big east is that way --------> --------> -------->
03-07-2014 06:00 PM
upstater1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(03-07-2014 04:37 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 01:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Is anyone else scratching their head? Are Villanova and the pundits really claiming they ended the drought from the old Big East days...? 01-wingedeagle It's great that they won their league, but they also didn't have to face any of the teams that had carried the old Big East into the modern era.

WTF? Villanova just won the Big East, and there's nothing else to be said. The Big East went through a lot of permutations over the years.

It's great that Nova won, for them. It's the 32 year drought that people are wondering about. If UConn wins the American this year, technically it will be like the 18th bball championship for the men in the conference that UConn has been in since 1979. But we won't be making t-shirts about it. In other words, UConn has never left a conference in over 30 years.
03-07-2014 08:28 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(03-07-2014 08:28 PM)upstater1 Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:37 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

It's great that Nova won, for them. It's the 32 year drought that people are wondering about. If UConn wins the American this year, technically it will be like the 18th bball championship for the men in the conference that UConn has been in since 1979. But we won't be making t-shirts about it. In other words, UConn has never left a conference in over 30 years.

no, (almost)everybody else in the conference left them! 05-stirthepot
03-07-2014 08:36 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: sick+burn+bruh+_eb2076bb11a9341ffb05427193f4fda6.gif]
03-07-2014 09:18 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
the Big East is still a good conference...as the Providence fan said, the Big East isn't what it was but it's still a power conference. I wish there was an AAC/Big East challenge, it would be a good one.
03-07-2014 11:05 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The real BIG EAST died on 18 September 2011..…that was the date when the Heart and Soul of the BIG EAST left for the ACC...Syracuse was that Heart and Soul.
03-07-2014 11:31 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(03-07-2014 05:58 PM)CincyBro Wrote:  Just imagine how tough the BE really was, it took everybody of any importance to leave ( except G'Town) before Villanova could win a title and they did it the first year. Just shows how watered down it now is and will be for years to come.

The BIG EAST from 1979 - 2013 in both versions was the Greatest Collection of College Basketball Programs in NCAA History...07-coffee3
03-07-2014 11:33 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
03-07-2014 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.