Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: TJS pioneer Dr. Frank Jobe dies at 88
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question OT: TJS pioneer Dr. Frank Jobe dies at 88
Tommy John surgery pioneer Frank Jobe dies
8:48 AM, Mar 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Dr. Frank Jobe, who performed the first successful elbow ligament transplant surgery in 1974, died Thursday. He was 88 years old.

The Los Angeles Dodgers said Jobe died Thursday in Santa Monica, Calif.

Jobe was part of the Dodgers medical staff from 1968 through 2008 and his 1974 experimental procedure for pitcher Tommy John now bears the left-hander's name.

John was able to pitch another 14 years in the majors after the surgery that took a transplanted tendon from his forearm to replace the damaged ligament of the pitcher's elbow. It's now commonly known as Tommy John surgery and is performed regularly.

"Frank Jobe is a Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," said Dodgers president Stan Kasten. "His dedication and professionalism in not only helping the Dodgers, but athletes around the world is unparalleled. He was a medical giant and pioneer and many athletes in the past and the future can always thank Frank for finding a way to continue their careers."
03-07-2014 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: OT: TJS pioneer Dr. Frank Jobe dies at 88
I was just reading about him. Very innovative and creative. Helped preserve the careers of a lot of pro athletes.
His procedure, like many others, has been modernized, but in the motivated athlete has a success rate of >80%. Which is phenomenal, considering the level at which these guys are expected to perform.
03-07-2014 12:57 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I like the idea of having a sports medicine wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Guys like Dr. Jobe, Dr. Frank Andrews and Victor Conte could all go in there.
03-07-2014 01:30 PM
Advertisement

RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-07-2014 01:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I like the idea of having a sports medicine wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Guys like Dr. Jobe, Dr. Frank Andrews and Victor Conte could all go in there.

Dr. Jobe (TJS) certainly belongs. I presume you mean Dr. James Andrews, who sounds like he belongs as well given his contributions to sports related orthopaedics. Victor Conte will need to go into the Barry Bonds - ARod wing*.

*I presume such a wing will be across the main parking lot from the rest of the Hall of Fame and in the shape of a large asterisks to connote that the wing is worthy but tainted. Perhaps each person enshrined there would get his own bubble on the * off the main circular central plaza... 05-stirthepot
03-07-2014 05:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(03-07-2014 05:22 PM)RiceDoc Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 01:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I like the idea of having a sports medicine wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. Guys like Dr. Jobe, Dr. Frank Andrews and Victor Conte could all go in there.

Dr. Jobe (TJS) certainly belongs. I presume you mean Dr. James Andrews, who sounds like he belongs as well given his contributions to sports related orthopaedics. Victor Conte will need to go into the Barry Bonds - ARod wing*.

*I presume such a wing will be across the main parking lot from the rest of the Hall of Fame and in the shape of a large asterisks to connote that the wing is worthy but tainted. Perhaps each person enshrined there would get his own bubble on the * off the main circular central plaza... 05-stirthepot

On the good front: I'm looking forward to July 27 this summer when these guys get inducted:
[Image: Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_Induc.jpg] [Image: hof_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75]
03-08-2014 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.