Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice to play North Texas in Conference Tourney
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Rice to play North Texas in Conference Tourney
The Owls men's team will open the tournament Tuesday at 2:30 pm. (I think it's 2:30 Houston time)
03-06-2014 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Rice to play North Texas in Conference Tourney
What are the odds that Rice would play one of the teams that they beat during the season (rhetorical question)?
03-06-2014 11:47 PM
owlman70 Offline
Special Teams

Football GeniusNew Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2014 11:47 PM)I45owl Wrote:  What are the odds that Rice would play one of the teams that they beat during the season (rhetorical question)?

Hate to be a downer, but does any of this matter until significant changes occur.

PS I want to believe but my eyes tell me we need more impact players and a new coach.
03-06-2014 11:53 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-06-2014 11:53 PM)owlman70 Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:47 PM)I45owl Wrote:  What are the odds that Rice would play one of the teams that they beat during the season (rhetorical question)?

Hate to be a downer, but does any of this matter until significant changes occur.

PS I want to believe but my eyes tell me we need more impact players and a new coach.

The new coach will have to wait awhile to recruit his type of players unless we see another mass exodus. Unfortunately with a few exceptions I don't see any reason to believe the returning players can elevate their game enough to make a huge difference. The difference in physical attributes, skill, and intensity between La Tech and us was huge.
03-06-2014 11:57 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-06-2014 11:57 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:53 PM)owlman70 Wrote:  

The new coach will have to wait awhile to recruit his type of players unless we see another mass exodus. Unfortunately with a few exceptions I don't see any reason to believe the returning players can elevate their game enough to make a huge difference. The difference in physical attributes, skill, and intensity between La Tech and us was huge.

Hugely ridiculous. Another team who just toyed with us. Coulda been 40 or more if they had really been on. Bob Polk like.
03-07-2014 12:12 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards

100 percent. We beat North Texas in the regular season.

Actually it might not be 100 pct if Bob got the 1st round opponent wrong, but since he's one of the guys on this board who actually goes to basketball games (and is pretty darn positive about most sports), I'm assuming he got it right.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 06:52 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-07-2014 06:51 AM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/...sched.html

This schedule says the game is at 4:30. But it also says we are playing Tulane on Wednesday and Tulsa on Thursday. Which is either incredibly optimistic, or else the conference changed their tournament format into a round robin event.
03-07-2014 06:55 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Rice web site also says the women play FIU at 2:30 on Tuesday. Unfortunately, that's a much tougher first round draw than the men just because we have to play Jessica Coley again (and her 29.6 points per game average). We did beat them once on the road so I guess both teams are playing teams they've already beaten once.
03-07-2014 07:00 AM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(03-07-2014 06:55 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/...sched.html

This schedule says the game is at 4:30. But it also says we are playing Tulane on Wednesday and Tulsa on Thursday. Which is either incredibly optimistic, or else the conference changed their tournament format into a round robin event.

wildly optimistic. CUSA indicates that this is lose and gone. But those are the opponents if they win each game...........
03-07-2014 09:51 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
Amazing that a 7-22 team can play in a tournament at all. Why not take the top 4 from each division?

Has there ever been a dark horse in a conference tourney that won 7 games (or something on that order of magnitude) and won it all?
03-07-2014 10:44 AM
07owl Offline
All American

(03-07-2014 10:44 AM)Antarius Wrote:  Amazing that a 7-22 team can play in a tournament at all. Why not take the top 4 from each division?

Has there ever been a dark horse in a conference tourney that won 7 games (or something on that order of magnitude) and won it all?

Liberty had 11 wins pre-conference tournament last year and went on a run
03-07-2014 10:52 AM
Advertisement

bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I think the Aggies finished last in the conference one year, then won the tournament.
03-07-2014 11:05 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-07-2014 06:51 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

100 percent. We beat North Texas in the regular season.

Actually it might not be 100 pct if Bob got the 1st round opponent wrong, but since he's one of the guys on this board who actually goes to basketball games (and is pretty darn positive about most sports), I'm assuming he got it right.

Note I said would, not are, as in without knowing a priori who our opponent was. There are 16 schools in the conference and Rice has 2 wins, so you'd start at 2/15s as the likelihood and move upwards since I think you can exclude 10 schools -including FIU- from the first round (one of the two teams Rice beat is among the 9 with byes). That leaves one of the five other teams playing in the first round. But, as I indicated, it was a rhetorical question.
03-07-2014 01:16 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-07-2014 11:05 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  I think the Aggies finished last in the conference one year, then won the tournament.

Was that 1994 or so (where Rice finished second to SMU in the regular season)?

Also note that I think Rice finished last one year and won the tournament, then never stopped going to the NCAA tourney.
03-07-2014 01:19 PM
DFW Owl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
We are 12 wins (assuming NCAA play-in game) away from the national championship!
03-07-2014 01:24 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-07-2014 06:55 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  This schedule says the game is at 4:30. But it also says we are playing Tulane on Wednesday and Tulsa on Thursday. Which is either incredibly optimistic, or else the conference changed their tournament format into a round robin event.

Conference USA Official Athletic Site - Men's Basketball

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-ba...ormat.html Wrote:Championship Format:
Each team qualifies for the tournament, with the exception of FIU this season. The top four seeds will receive a double-bye, seeds five through nine receive a bye. The winner of the single-elimination tournament will gain the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.

(03-07-2014 07:00 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Rice web site also says the women play FIU at 2:30 on Tuesday. Unfortunately, that's a much tougher first round draw than the men just because we have to play Jessica Coley again (and her 29.6 points per game average). We did beat them once on the road so I guess both teams are playing teams they've already beaten once.

I wonder why the FIU women qualify but the men don't?
03-07-2014 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-07-2014 01:25 PM)I45owl Wrote:  I wonder why the FIU women qualify but the men don't?

APR

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports...n-ban.html
03-07-2014 01:31 PM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
If you remember, during the UNT-Rice game at Autry Court, Rice jumped out to an early 17-point lead about halfway through the first half. UNT came back to within 2 points with 5 minutes left in the game, but Rice held on for a 5-point win. Rice had 4 players in double figures, and two other players with 7 and 8 points a piece. Rice enjoyed a very strong performance from Obi (18 points, 13 boards). The team pounded the ball down into the post, drove the lane and ended up with hitting 27 of 37 free throws, unusual for their traditional perimeter offense. On average Rice took 46% of their shots behind the arc during the season, but in the game against UNT, they launched 3-point attempts at a rate about 10% below their season average. The moral of the story? To win this tournament game the team has to focus on lane penetration, the low post and share the scoring opportunities
03-07-2014 04:14 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(03-07-2014 10:44 AM)Antarius Wrote:  Amazing that a 7-22 team can play in a tournament at all. Why not take the top 4 from each division?

1961 George Washington has the record for fewest wins in the field with "9", but that was in an era of far fewer games. FIU and Fairfield both made the field with 11 wins fairly recently.
03-07-2014 04:32 PM
07owl Offline
All American

Speaking of, 11-20 Northeastern is currently beating 23-9 Delaware in the CAA championship game late in the first half
03-09-2014 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.