REPORT- Findings on The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
REPORT- Findings on The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later
The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later

link to full report:http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/wa...overty.pdf
[Image: 918d0b12-1182-4d14-94be-45b75afe3925.jpg]

Fifty years ago, President Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty. Today, in the aftermath of the Great Recession, we are once again debating the best way to help the least among us. On this important anniversary, we should take stock of the federal government’s anti-poverty programs—and figure out why we have yet to achieve the “total victory” Johnson predicted.

The War on Poverty at a Glance

Despite trillions of dollars in spending, poverty is widespread:

•In 1965, the poverty rate was 17.3 percent. In 2012, it was 15 percent.

•Over the past three years, “deep poverty” has reached its highest level on record.

•About 21.8 percent of children live below the poverty line.
Today, the federal government’s anti-poverty programs are duplicative and complex.

There are at least 92 federal programs designed to help lower-income Americans. For instance, there are dozens of education and job-training programs, 17 different food-aid programs, and over 20 housing programs. The federal government spent $799 billion on these programs in fiscal year 2012. And a significant challenge today is the decline in labor-force participation.

•The labor-force participation rate has fallen to a 36-year low of 62.8 percent.

•CBO projects the rate will fall to 60.8 percent over the next decade.

A number of factors are causing this decline—changing demographics, slow economic growth.

But federal policies are also discouraging work. For example, a rapid increase in disability caseloads has reduced the labor force. But a large problem is the “poverty trap.” There are so many anti-poverty programs—and there is so little coordination between them—that they often work at cross purposes and penalize families for getting ahead.

•CBO finds that some low-income households face implicit marginal tax rates of nearly 100 percent.

On the other hand, research finds that the best anti-poverty programs encourage work.
•Economists Bruce Meyer and James Sullivan find that lower tax rates and bigger tax credits helped low-income families the most.

•Programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit increase labor-force participation.

The Causes of Poverty

Family

Perhaps the single most important determinant of poverty is family structure. It has been the subject of fierce academic debate since the Moynihan Report—named after its author, then-assistant secretary of labor Daniel Patrick Moynihan—was released in 1965. The Moynihan Report identified the breakdown of the family as a key cause of poverty within the black community.

More recent research on Americans of all backgrounds has backed up Moynihan’s argument. According to the Census Bureau, single parenthood is a key correlate with poverty.

Single women head less than 20 percent of all households; but they head 34 percent of all poor households. The Brookings Institution’s Ron Haskins and Isabel Sawhill point out that if a person works full time, gets a high-school education, and waits until he or she is married to have children, the chances of being poor are just 2 percent.

And Hilary Hoynes finds, “If all else had been held constant over the past forty years, changes in family structure would have led to a rise in the poverty rate from 13% (in 1967) to 17% (in 2003).”

In conjunction with these observations, scholars behind the most comprehensive study of upward mobility to date find that family-structure-related variables were the strongest predictors of upward mobility across labor markets within the United States.

Although causality has not been definitively established, there’s much to be said for the changing nature of American families as it pertains to poverty and upward mobility.

Poverty is most concentrated among broken families. For all families, the poverty rate was 13.1 percent. But 34.2 percent of families headed by a single female were considered below poverty, and 22.8 percent of households composed of unrelated individuals were considered to be in poverty.
03-06-2014 05:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: REPORT- Findings on The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later
This is why I have proposed the combination of Milton Friedman's negative income tax or the Boortz-Linder prebate/prefund, plus French Bismarck health care, as the federal welfare/antipoverty program, with today's byzantine collection of "means tested" programs turned over to those states willing to pick them up. This is a house committee document, so it will have a republican slant, but that doesn't change the facts. Republicans now need to go the rest of the way on this issue and come up with a better way.

Like being a better president than Shrub or Zero, it's not a tall hill to climb.
03-06-2014 07:08 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Perhaps we should handle the war on poverty like were
handling the war on drugs or the war on terrorism.

Giving-in is so vogue.
03-06-2014 08:25 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
Stop rewarding negative behaviors - you get one child tax credit per year no matter how many kids you have. That one change would go a long way.

Stop "pre-K" education. It is nothing more than taxpayer funded daycare. 85% of these parents sit at home all day anyway.

Stop taxpayer funded abortions. Ethics will prevail.

Stop Democrats from giving "anti-poverty" monies to their buddies... aka ACORN and Planned Parenthood. That money does nothing to prevent poverty.

I could go on.
03-06-2014 08:30 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Im sure that report took millions of dollars to complete. I could have saved them the time and money. It was as failure.
03-06-2014 10:45 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
When the grandchildren of the first Head Start participants are still in need of a Head Start program, well, doesn't that indicate a certain level of failure.
03-06-2014 10:56 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Poverty won.
03-06-2014 11:10 AM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

I Root For: WMU
I bet the NAACP will call this report another example of "Institutional Racism".
03-06-2014 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It will correct itself in the coming decades. The welfare state gives way eventually.
03-06-2014 11:27 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-06-2014 11:27 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It will correct itself in the coming decades. The welfare state gives way eventually.

Of course - they run out of other people's money.
03-06-2014 11:31 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(03-06-2014 07:08 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  This is why I have proposed the combination of Milton Friedman's negative income tax or the Boortz-Linder prebate/prefund, plus French Bismarck health care, as the federal welfare/antipoverty program, with today's byzantine collection of "means tested" programs turned over to those states willing to pick them up. This is a house committee document, so it will have a republican slant, but that doesn't change the facts.

Quite a few of the experts cited in the report have already claimed that Ryan and his minions didn't use their data properly or purposely left off data that was in their reports, skewing the outcome.

(03-06-2014 07:08 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Republicans now need to go the rest of the way on this issue and come up with a better way.

Don't hold your breath on that one. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that this was only done to bash Dem policies, and therefore Obama.
03-06-2014 11:44 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(03-06-2014 05:19 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later

link to full report:http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/wa...overty.pdf
[Image: 918d0b12-1182-4d14-94be-45b75afe3925.jpg]

Fifty years ago, President Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty. Today, in the aftermath of the Great Recession, we are once again debating the best way to help the least among us. On this important anniversary, we should take stock of the federal government’s anti-poverty programs—and figure out why we have yet to achieve the “total victory” Johnson predicted.

The War on Poverty at a Glance

Despite trillions of dollars in spending, poverty is widespread:

•In 1965, the poverty rate was 17.3 percent. In 2012, it was 15 percent.

•Over the past three years, “deep poverty” has reached its highest level on record.

•About 21.8 percent of children live below the poverty line.
Today, the federal government’s anti-poverty programs are duplicative and complex.

There are at least 92 federal programs designed to help lower-income Americans. For instance, there are dozens of education and job-training programs, 17 different food-aid programs, and over 20 housing programs. The federal government spent $799 billion on these programs in fiscal year 2012. And a significant challenge today is the decline in labor-force participation.

•The labor-force participation rate has fallen to a 36-year low of 62.8 percent.

•CBO projects the rate will fall to 60.8 percent over the next decade.

A number of factors are causing this decline—changing demographics, slow economic growth.

But federal policies are also discouraging work. For example, a rapid increase in disability caseloads has reduced the labor force. But a large problem is the “poverty trap.” There are so many anti-poverty programs—and there is so little coordination between them—that they often work at cross purposes and penalize families for getting ahead.

•CBO finds that some low-income households face implicit marginal tax rates of nearly 100 percent.

On the other hand, research finds that the best anti-poverty programs encourage work.
•Economists Bruce Meyer and James Sullivan find that lower tax rates and bigger tax credits helped low-income families the most.

•Programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit increase labor-force participation.

The Causes of Poverty

Family

Perhaps the single most important determinant of poverty is family structure. It has been the subject of fierce academic debate since the Moynihan Report—named after its author, then-assistant secretary of labor Daniel Patrick Moynihan—was released in 1965. The Moynihan Report identified the breakdown of the family as a key cause of poverty within the black community.

More recent research on Americans of all backgrounds has backed up Moynihan’s argument. According to the Census Bureau, single parenthood is a key correlate with poverty.

Single women head less than 20 percent of all households; but they head 34 percent of all poor households. The Brookings Institution’s Ron Haskins and Isabel Sawhill point out that if a person works full time, gets a high-school education, and waits until he or she is married to have children, the chances of being poor are just 2 percent.

And Hilary Hoynes finds, “If all else had been held constant over the past forty years, changes in family structure would have led to a rise in the poverty rate from 13% (in 1967) to 17% (in 2003).”

In conjunction with these observations, scholars behind the most comprehensive study of upward mobility to date find that family-structure-related variables were the strongest predictors of upward mobility across labor markets within the United States.

Although causality has not been definitively established, there’s much to be said for the changing nature of American families as it pertains to poverty and upward mobility.

Poverty is most concentrated among broken families. For all families, the poverty rate was 13.1 percent. But 34.2 percent of families headed by a single female were considered below poverty, and 22.8 percent of households composed of unrelated individuals were considered to be in poverty.

The answer is simple. In the years after the legislation poverty was actually cut in half. Since then those laws have slowly and surely been chipped away, less money give to those programs. What we are left with is another increase in poverty.
03-06-2014 11:48 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The government doesn't have the ability to end poverty.
03-06-2014 11:49 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
The ambiguity in the meaning of the term poverty should share part of the blame.

It’s difficult to take the American poor seriously when they are defined by owning just one Xbox.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 11:52 AM by AngryAphid.)
03-06-2014 11:51 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(03-06-2014 11:51 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  The ambiguity in the meaning of the term poverty should share part of the blame.

It’s difficult to take the American poor seriously when they defined by owning just one Xbox.

That is a very good point. If you really think about it though, anyone who doesn't own a house or a car, is on government assistance and has an xbox IS in poverty.
03-06-2014 11:54 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-06-2014 11:44 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 07:08 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  This is why I have proposed the combination of Milton Friedman's negative income tax or the Boortz-Linder prebate/prefund, plus French Bismarck health care, as the federal welfare/antipoverty program, with today's byzantine collection of "means tested" programs turned over to those states willing to pick them up. This is a house committee document, so it will have a republican slant, but that doesn't change the facts.

Quite a few of the experts cited in the report have already claimed that Ryan and his minions didn't use their data properly or purposely left off data that was in their reports, skewing the outcome.

(03-06-2014 07:08 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Republicans now need to go the rest of the way on this issue and come up with a better way.

Don't hold your breath on that one. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that this was only done to bash Dem policies, and therefore Obama.

Well Tom, I will say this, the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome.

Until we start rewarding behaviors we want to continue and punishing (or at minimum witholding) for behaviors we want to stop - the war on poverty will never be won. Right now, it's too lucrative for those "in poverty" to put forth the effort to escape it.

Before you poo poo the above, ask yourself this - If I can have as much in government provided entitlements sitting on the couch watching TV as I can working 40 hrs a week - what choice do tons of people make?
03-06-2014 11:54 AM
Advertisement

Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(03-06-2014 08:30 AM)Jerry Falwell Wrote:  Stop taxpayer funded abortions. Ethics will prevail.

How many taxpayer funded abortions are there each year?
03-06-2014 11:58 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(03-06-2014 11:54 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

Well Tom, I will say this, the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome.

Until we start rewarding behaviors we want to continue and punishing (or at minimum witholding) for behaviors we want to stop - the war on poverty will never be won. Right now, it's too lucrative for those "in poverty" to put forth the effort to escape it.

Before you poo poo the above, ask yourself this - If I can have as much in government provided entitlements sitting on the couch watching TV as I can working 40 hrs a week - what choice do tons of people make?

Well...if I was to believe your far-fetched scenario...I would think you're arguing for a raise in the minimum wage...ya know...provide some incentive to work. Of course, the myth of the welfare queen was debunked ages ago. I guess you didn't notice with your head in the sand and all. 03-lol
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 12:10 PM by Redwingtom.)
03-06-2014 12:09 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(03-06-2014 11:54 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

Who in their right mind would want to live on welfare and food stamps. Some of you act as if it is living in the lap of luxury. I assure you, most people would rather work their way out of a situation like that.
03-06-2014 12:14 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-06-2014 12:14 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Who in their right mind would want to live on welfare and food stamps.

Lots of people.

When we are in a third generation of dependence, there's a problem.

Oh, and poor in American ain't like poor anywhere else in the world.
03-06-2014 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.