Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Colleges cancelling their public Spring Football Game
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Colleges cancelling their public Spring Football Game
SPRING FOOTBALL GAME CANCELLED

Let me say this. The colleges are demanding a lot of money out of their fans and alumni, first requirement is to make a donation...in order to buy very expensive season tickets. Given all the financial demands made of their fans, I do think colleges need to at least do something to replace the Spring Game. It is not only the money aspect, but also to keep football fans' interest jacked up.

I would probably do the Spring Game but make it more of a controlled scrimmage if more practice time is desired. And/or do a tv program, featuring the players and what was and what was not accomplished in the spring game. To me, this cancelling of the spring football game is again dumping on the fans.
03-05-2014 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Colleges cancelling their public Spring Football Game
my dad would tell stories of how he could attend michigan games for free or dirt cheap prices back when he was a student there.

and you didn't even have to pay to park or make a donation.........

today it costs me $265 to watch a sh!tty colorado team that has won only 4 home games (2 against FCS teams) in the 3 years since I have been a student there. meanwhile my sister gets free admission to all northwestern games and they actually win.

freaking unbelievable.
03-05-2014 09:47 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The last Spring game I went to was free. I thought they were still free.

I'm at the point now with season tickets that the only reason I maintain them is because I may want them in the future. Besides, my parking pass is now $500 for this coming year. BS.
03-05-2014 09:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-05-2014 09:58 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The last Spring game I went to was free. I thought they were still free.

I'm at the point now with season tickets that the only reason I maintain them is because I may want them in the future. Besides, my parking pass is now $500 for this coming year. BS.
I think outrageous prices for parking are becoming the norm, just like the big donation to get seating preference. It's become all about the (not-so) mighty dollar.
03-05-2014 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I hate spring games. I'm not skilled enough of a viewer to know whether the offense is doing well because it is good or because the defense is atrocious and vice versa.
03-05-2014 12:35 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(03-05-2014 11:29 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:58 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The last Spring game I went to was free. I thought they were still free.

I think outrageous prices for parking are becoming the norm, just like the big donation to get seating preference. It's become all about the (not-so) mighty dollar.

Outrageous parking prices only exist because people are willing to pay them. I am willing to walk a couple extra blocks and park for free. This is a widely available option at every stadium I've been to.

It constantly shocks me how few people take advantage of free street parking. One time at Illinois, I was parked and walking into the stadium when a friend drove by and stopped to talk. I hopped in and told him where I parked and he said nah, we'll go to an official gameday lot. He (and thousands of others) paid $20 to park 1/10 of a mile closer to the stadium than I had. It boggles the mind.
03-05-2014 01:23 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

what?
03-05-2014 01:41 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(03-05-2014 01:23 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 11:29 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Outrageous parking prices only exist because people are willing to pay them. I am willing to walk a couple extra blocks and park for free. This is a widely available option at every stadium I've been to.

It constantly shocks me how few people take advantage of free street parking. One time at Illinois, I was parked and walking into the stadium when a friend drove by and stopped to talk. I hopped in and told him where I parked and he said nah, we'll go to an official gameday lot. He (and thousands of others) paid $20 to park 1/10 of a mile closer to the stadium than I had. It boggles the mind.

There isn't any free parking within several miles of the stadium. It's $10 to park anywhere close and no way would I park my car in any of those. My parking is literally right in front of the stadium so it's kind of nice. Is it worth $500? Probably not but it makes going to a game pretty much hassle free.
03-05-2014 01:45 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Different opinion here, but we LOVE them. With young kids, the access to players...and the field (what my kids love) can't be beat. As current (future donors) it's a "feel good" win/win event with little downside.
03-05-2014 03:30 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(03-05-2014 12:35 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I hate spring games. I'm not skilled enough of a viewer to know whether the offense is doing well because it is good or because the defense is atrocious and vice versa.
#Tailgate
03-05-2014 03:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Spring games are awesome. It's an excuse to tailgate and drink beer in a dirt lot on a Saturday afternoon in April. I like going to see how much closer to my ideal seats I am getting.
I've really only heard of spitt canceling because of lack of fan support. aTm canceled because of construction. Antibody else?
The parking fee is the new seat fee. Anything to suck a few more bucks out of you. At RU you have to pay it. There is no free parking anywhere near the stadium, and there aren't sidewalks on some of the outer access roads. So they have us over a barrel.
03-05-2014 04:34 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(03-05-2014 04:34 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Spring games are awesome. It's an excuse to tailgate and drink beer in a dirt lot on a Saturday afternoon in April. I like going to see how much closer to my ideal seats I am getting.
I've really only heard of spitt canceling because of lack of fan support. aTm canceled because of construction. Antibody else?
The parking fee is the new seat fee. Anything to suck a few more bucks out of you. At RU you have to pay it. There is no free parking anywhere near the stadium, and there aren't sidewalks on some of the outer access roads. So they have us over a barrel.

This
03-05-2014 08:20 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Spring games should be preseason games against FCS teams.
03-05-2014 08:26 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(03-05-2014 08:26 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Spring games should be preseason games against FCS teams.

I like this idea.
03-05-2014 08:55 PM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-05-2014 04:34 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Spring games are awesome. It's an excuse to tailgate and drink beer in a dirt lot on a Saturday afternoon in April. I like going to see how much closer to my ideal seats I am getting.

I have to agree. Spring games provide a necessary football fix during the off-season and a chance to see some of the "new guys" on the field. Similarly, its an excuse to tailgate on a day that usually brings perfect weather.
03-05-2014 09:12 PM
panama Offline
Legend

...and fans don't care if it's a game or a controlled scrimmage or just practice. It gets you in a parking lot tailgating and in the stadium watching football and listening to the band. People too smart for their own good continue to find ways to ruin this sport.
03-06-2014 07:28 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(03-05-2014 09:47 AM)john01992 Wrote:  my dad would tell stories of how he could attend michigan games for free or dirt cheap prices back when he was a student there.

today it costs me $265 to watch a sh!tty colorado team that has won only 4 home games (2 against FCS teams) in the 3 years since I have been a student there. meanwhile my sister gets free admission to all northwestern games and they actually win.

freaking unbelievable.

The cost of her "free" tickets is included in tuition.
03-06-2014 10:00 AM
HHOOTter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tulsa
(03-05-2014 08:55 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:26 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Spring games should be preseason games against FCS teams.

I like this idea.

I don't get why teams couldn't B allowed 2 pay a "controlled" scrimmage vs. another team? U could certainly draw up alot of fan interest in the event. Most high school teams have 2 or 3 "controlled" scrimmages B4 their regular season starts.
03-06-2014 10:26 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
If it's nice out, I'll go to a spring game, since it's free, and I can park nearby for free too. But I don't learn much from it, unless someone really sticks out like a QB, WR, RB or a punter doing something notable. If they cancelled it, no big deal. It does break up the long months of purgatory known as baseball season.
03-06-2014 12:12 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(03-06-2014 10:00 AM)S11 Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:47 AM)john01992 Wrote:  my dad would tell stories of how he could attend michigan games for free or dirt cheap prices back when he was a student there.

freaking unbelievable.

The cost of her "free" tickets is included in tuition.

lol good point. but what i was getting at is that NW is the last of a dying breed.
03-06-2014 02:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.