Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Since it's that time of year.....
Mocs Wreck Bucs Run
-- by Doug Janz

[March 5, 1995]

The opportunity was there, but the Buccaneers didn't seize it so Tennessee-Chattanooga did.
East Tennessee State University, given a golden chance to make the Southern Conference championship game, fell just short. Robert Doggett's last-second charge to the basket was thwarted by Brandon Born and UTC defeated ETSU 71-69.
"We had the ball with a chance to win it two possessions in a row", said Doggett. "Some guys just didn't show up for us. I didn't show up.
"We tried and tried, we just couldn't get it done."
The semifinal loss ended the Bucs' season at 14-14 and sent the Moccasins (18-10) into today's 7:30 p.m. SC final against Western Carolina (14-13), a 74-64 winner over Appalachian State (9-20).
ESPN will televise the final from Asheville Civic Center.
For the Bucs, it was a loss that will have them shaking their heads in frustration for a long time. Things like 22-of-39 free throw shooting and three straight turnovers to end the game will haunt them.
Making matters worse was the fact UTC was without 6-foot-10 center Roger Smith coming into the tournament, then lost hot-shooting Maurio Hanson for most of the game to a sprained ankle.
If ever there was a chance to get the Mocs while they were short-handed, this was it.
"We had the opportunities and we didn't cash in on them," said ETSU head coach Alan LeForce.
"It was a gutsy effort overall by our guys, said Chattanooga coach Mack McCarthy, whose team won the last two SC titles.
Born, UTC's smooth, heady forward, came through in the clutch, scoring 22 points, getting five boards, and making the big defensive stop when Doggett saw a glimpse of daylight in the final seconds.
He managed to do it despite foul trouble.
"He's sitting there with four fouls, and he knows he has to be on the floor for us to win," McCarthy said. "yet he had the confidence to step in there and make the play, "
The Bucs had some early momentum. After Hanson swished two 3-pointers in the.....[sorry; that's all I got of Doug's article]

In the women's game DeShawne Blocker burned ASU for 39 to carry the Bucs (20-6) to the finals against Furman.
03-04-2014 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

RE: Since it's that time of year.....
Doggett's chance to be a hero slips away again
-- Kelly Hodge

[March 5, 1995]

Robert Doggett treaded the fine line between hero and goat often over the last two years.
Unfortunately for East Tennessee State University's senior guard, he was never able to provide the heroics needed to keep his team alive in the Southern Conference basketball tournament.
Doggett was back in the spotlight Saturday night with the clock running down and his team desperately needing a basket against Tennessee-Chattanooga.
Unlike last year, when he missed the potential game winner against Western Carolina, Doggett never got off a shot against the Moccasins. He threw the ball away. He was called for a charge. And, finally, he was stripped of the ball as he sliced through a wide-open lane for what would have been a tying layup in the closing seconds.
That allowed the Mocs to escape 71-69 and pursue their third straight tournament championship tonight. The Bucs, who won the previous four, headed home, their last title run in Asheville ending in frustration.
"It's not a position I wanted to be in," said Doggett, one of four seniors who never fulfilled the promise they brought to ETSU. "We never should have been in the situation to need a basket to tie at the end. We should have put this one away a lot earlier."
But they didn't, due mostly to typically dismal free-throw shooting and Brandon Born, Chattanooga's all-conference forward.
Born drew the controversial charge on Doggett with 23 seconds left, sliding into the lane and getting the call with UTC nursing a one-point lead. He was also the man who stripped the ball to preserve the victory.
"I know he's all-conference, but he slid over into me," Doggett said of the charge. "The man didn't have position and he got the call. Down the stretch, we just didn't get any calls. I don't want to whine, but it's been that way for us a lot this year."
The officiating would have been secondary if the Bucs had shot the ball well at all.
Missed free throws, their Achilles heel for much of the last two seasons, again cost them dearly. They missed 17 of 39 tosses and made just 39 percent of their shots from the field.
What had been an 11-point ETSU lead in the first half steadily melted away as the Bucs searched for their offense.
"I think tonight put our season in perspective," said ETSU coach Alan LeForce. "We're great, then not very good. The one thing that's been consistent for us is that we're inconsistent."
The end result was a loss to a UTC team that was seemingly held together by Born and bailing wire.
Center Roger Smith was in street clothes, his broken foot in a cast. Smith's replacement, freshman Julian Scott, fouled out with 5:33 left. Pat Henderson, who backs up Scott, contributed 12 points and 13 rebounds but also got in foul trouble. He was gone with 1:29 left to play.
Forward Maurio Hanson, the Mocs' second-leading scorer, played only 18 minutes after getting tangled with Doggett......[sorry, again that's all I got]
03-04-2014 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bucster Offline
All American

RE: Since it's that time of year.....
(03-04-2014 12:57 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Mocs Wreck Bucs Run
-- by Doug Janz

[March 5, 1995]

The opportunity was there, but the Buccaneers didn't seize it so Tennessee-Chattanooga did.
East Tennessee State University, given a golden chance to make the Southern Conference championship game, fell just short. Robert Doggett's last-second charge to the basket was thwarted by Brandon Born and UTC defeated ETSU 71-69.
"We had the ball with a chance to win it two possessions in a row", said Doggett. "Some guys just didn't show up for us. I didn't show up.
"We tried and tried, we just couldn't get it done."
The semifinal loss ended the Bucs' season at 14-14 and sent the Moccasins (18-10) into today's 7:30 p.m. SC final against Western Carolina (14-13), a 74-64 winner over Appalachian State (9-20).
ESPN will televise the final from Asheville Civic Center.
For the Bucs, it was a loss that will have them shaking their heads in frustration for a long time. Things like 22-of-39 free throw shooting and three straight turnovers to end the game will haunt them.
Making matters worse was the fact UTC was without 6-foot-10 center Roger Smith coming into the tournament, then lost hot-shooting Maurio Hanson for most of the game to a sprained ankle.
If ever there was a chance to get the Mocs while they were short-handed, this was it.
"We had the opportunities and we didn't cash in on them," said ETSU head coach Alan LeForce.
"It was a gutsy effort overall by our guys, said Chattanooga coach Mack McCarthy, whose team won the last two SC titles.
Born, UTC's smooth, heady forward, came through in the clutch, scoring 22 points, getting five boards, and making the big defensive stop when Doggett saw a glimpse of daylight in the final seconds.
He managed to do it despite foul trouble.
"He's sitting there with four fouls, and he knows he has to be on the floor for us to win," McCarthy said. "yet he had the confidence to step in there and make the play, "
The Bucs had some early momentum. After Hanson swished two 3-pointers in the.....[sorry; that's all I got of Doug's article]

In the women's game DeShawne Blocker burned ASU for 39 to carry the Bucs (20-6) to the finals against Furman.

I remember watching that game, I hated Brandon Born. As I recall Tony Patterson missed a bunch of free throw's in that game too, probably would have won had he hit some of them.
03-04-2014 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.