Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USF has only sold ~2000 tickets to the UCF game...????
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
USF has only sold ~2000 tickets to the UCF game...????
In-state rivalry game between schools only a little more than an hour apart..???

Wow.....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...es-knights
09-14-2006 08:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Not surprising. When Greenberg coached down there, he had to bribe the students to come to basketball games with free pizza.
09-14-2006 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

03-yawn thats 1/3 of what goes to their normal home games... so sounds about right. lmfao
09-14-2006 08:33 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

So what is the point here? Does it mean that USF fans dont travel well, or are they not interested in seeing their team play UCF?
09-14-2006 08:34 AM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies

I'd say that either one of your scenarios doesn't speak well of the USF fanbase.....so which one is the lesser of 2 evils - admitting that your fanbase sucks, or that you have no interest in your team, regardless of who the opponent is...????
09-14-2006 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

cuseroc Wrote:So what is the point here? Does it mean that USF fans dont travel well, or are they not interested in seeing their team play UCF?

Well...considering how few USF fans are traveling to Orlando for Saturday's game (let alone a few thousand of USF Alumni that LIVE in Orlando), its still the LARGEST travel group for any USF regular season road game EVER!

USF couldn't even sell 1,000 tix in their official allotment to their first ever instate BCS Game at Miami last year (few more got tix through Ticketmaster or from UM friends).

Considering how only about 20,000 actually showed up to watch this BCS Team play McNeese St and FIU in the "greatest football stadium in the USA" (according to many USF fans about Raymond James Stadium), I think the jury has come to a decision:

It's not that USF fans don't care about UCF...its that USF doesn't have many fans that care about their OWN program.

KL

PS. Considering last year's game in Tampa...when UCF was on a 16 game losing streak...hadn't won a game since Oct 2003...and fans quiting on the program...yet...UCF still brought over 12,000 fans to the game last year.
09-14-2006 08:41 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

cuseroc Wrote:So what is the point here? Does it mean that USF fans dont travel well, or are they not interested in seeing their team play UCF?

Do your fans go to support their team or to watch the other team? If it is the latter, then you have no program.
09-14-2006 08:42 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Capital Pirate Wrote:I'd say that either one of your scenarios doesn't speak well of the USF fanbase.....so which one is the lesser of 2 evils - admitting that your fanbase sucks, or that you have no interest in your team, regardless of who the opponent is...????

I would say that neither of your scenarios correctly describes USF's situation. We know that they will by tickets as suggested by their average last year. So it seems to me that they either are not interested in traveling for this game, or they are not good traveling folks, or the 3rd scenario is that maybe there is no rush to buy the tickets to the game since it is very unlikely to be sold out.
09-14-2006 08:42 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

fsquid Wrote:

Do your fans go to support their team or to watch the other team? If it is the latter, then you have no program.

Thats a load of crap. With the exception of the tennesees and Michigans of the world, most fan bases have highs and lows for various games depending on the compettion. Thats why most teams have lower attendance when their teams play D1aa. Miami cant sell out the Orange Bowl lately, depending on the opposing team, but is a big draw when they play away games.
09-14-2006 08:45 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

cuseroc Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:

Thats a load of crap. With the exception of the tennesees and Michigans of the world, most fan bases have highs and lows for various games depending on the compettion. Thats why most teams have lower attendance when their teams play D1aa.

Yup, but you get a really good indicator of a program's support by road attendance for regional games (USM, UAB, Miss., and Ark. State for Memphis) and your attendance for the "buy" games.
09-14-2006 08:47 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

As long as USF wins the game - who cares how many of them show up? ;-)
09-14-2006 08:49 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

cuseroc Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:

Thats a load of crap. With the exception of the tennesees and Michigans of the world, most fan bases have highs and lows for various games depending on the compettion.

Really? Then why did Texas bring over 40,000 plus fans to see their team play Tuane in New Orleans?

Why did Nebraska bring thousands of fans to see their team play Southern Miss in Hattiesburg?

Please...just STOP the excuses.

Bottom line...almost ANY BCS Team (except maybe Duke) would be able to sell more than 1,976 tix to ANY game within 60-70 miles of their Town/Campus (especially if over 3.5 Million people live in it!) to see their team play ANYONE...even against a High School Team.

Heck...Purdue brought over 5,000 plus to their game vs "lowly" UCF in Orlando.

Va Tech brought over 4,500 plus to their game vs "lowly" UCF in Orlando.

But USF can't sell 2,000 to a game just 60-70 miles away?

Or...if competition is the key (as say you), why couldn't USF sell 1,000 tix to see USF play Top 15 team Miami last year?

It's all about competition right?

No...you are WRONG.

KL
09-14-2006 08:56 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Maybe just Maybe USF fans really don't give a Rats Arse about UCF. Maybe just Maybe that is why they sold only 1,000 tickets to a game very few care about.
09-14-2006 09:02 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Maize Wrote:Maybe just Maybe USF fans really don't give a Rats Arse about UCF. Maybe just Maybe that is why they sold only 1,000 tickets to a game very few care about.

So, is UL only going to take 1k when you guys play at MTSU?
09-14-2006 09:05 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

KnightLight Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:

Thats a load of crap. With the exception of the tennesees and Michigans of the world, most fan bases have highs and lows for various games depending on the compettion.

Really? Then why did Texas bring over 40,000 plus fans to see their team play Tuane in New Orleans?

Why did Nebraska bring thousands of fans to see their team play Southern Miss in Hattiesburg?

Please...just STOP the excuses.

Bottom line...almost ANY BCS Team (except maybe Duke) would be able to sell more than 1,976 tix to ANY game within 60-70 miles of their Town/Campus (especially if over 3.5 Million people live in it!) to see their team play ANYONE...even against a High School Team.

Heck...Purdue brought over 5,000 plus to their game vs "lowly" UCF in Orlando.

Va Tech brought over 4,500 plus to their game vs "lowly" UCF in Orlando.

But USF can't sell 2,000 to a game just 60-70 miles away?

Or...if competition is the key (as say you), why couldn't USF sell 1,000 tix to see USF play Top 15 team Miami last year?

It's all about competition right?

No...you are WRONG.

KL

I am not making excuse for USF. I just pointed out some facts. There are some bcs schools that will pack their stadium no matter who they play. You listed a few. But I had already admitted that. There are others that will not pack the house like Miami, and Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt unless there are some really interesting matchups. Some teams dont travel well no matter what. It a fact of life. USF maybe one of those teams. Like I said before " Is it because they dont travel well or is it because they dont care to travel to see USF play Ucf?"

As I said before, the USF fans could be waiting for game day to show up and buy tickets. Or they could just not care about this game, as the fans have stated over and over on this board. This game is obviously a much bigger deal to UCF than to USF.
09-14-2006 09:10 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

fsquid Wrote:
Maize Wrote:Maybe just Maybe USF fans really don't give a Rats Arse about UCF. Maybe just Maybe that is why they sold only 1,000 tickets to a game very few care about.

I don't know and really don't care since I am not going to that game. We have much bigger fish to fry then MTSU.
09-14-2006 09:10 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

Maize Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:

I don't know and really don't care since I am not going to that game. We have much bigger fish to fry then MTSU.

Sad that you only support your team when they play the name teams. Sounds like a plastic fan to me.
09-14-2006 09:27 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Another stupid statement because I don't care to travel to Nashville on a Friday Night. MTSU means NOTHING to me but I guess it does to you Non BCS Folks.
09-14-2006 09:45 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Sounds like a plastic fan to me. Arkansas State means nothing to Memphis fans, but we took 9k over there and gave them their biggest attendance in their history. It is called supporting the program, not just waiting to see who they play. I'm surprised by you Maize, I thought you were a supporter of your program.
09-14-2006 09:56 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

fsquid Wrote:Sounds like a plastic fan to me. Arkansas State means nothing to Memphis fans, but we took 9k over there and gave them their biggest attendance in their history. It is called supporting the program, not just waiting to see who they play. I'm surprised by you Maize, I thought you were a supporter of your program.

I am a supporter and Season Ticket holder, just don't care to travel to Nashville for a game we should win by 20.

Would rather support our other Conference mates like Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh ect. ect.
09-14-2006 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.