Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College coach would never recruit a black quarterback
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
College coach would never recruit a black quarterback
Sorry, meant to say white quarterback. You can all calm down now.

Quote:Switzer:
I've always said I'd never recruit a white quarterback. The only way I'd ever recruit a white quarterback to play for me was if his mom and daddy would have to both be black, and that's the only way I would do it."

Whole story here
02-28-2014 12:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: College coach would never recruit a black quarterback
Wow. Even if you aren't a fan of the traditional drop back style, you wouldn't want Manziel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
02-28-2014 07:03 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
That is funny because after Switzer left Nebraska, they had a couple white guys, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost
that were more than capable as running QBs. Switzer's assumption that you won't go wrong with the
black guy so just recruit them isn't always the right model. But virtually every college program does this
which is why you can't find a white RB very often, they get moved to FB or LB.

But this is very much a racist point of view for Barry. Not offended though.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 07:50 AM by SuperFlyBCat.)
02-28-2014 07:45 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A white QB for the Sooners looked pretty good against the Criminal Tide last month.
02-28-2014 07:50 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-28-2014 07:45 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  That is funny because after Switzer left Nebraska, they had a couple white guys, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost
that were more than capable as running QBs. Switzer's assumption that you won't go wrong with the
black guy so just recruit them isn't always the right model. But virtually every college program does this

...what's really funny is he coached at OU
02-28-2014 07:51 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-28-2014 07:51 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 07:45 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  That is funny because after Switzer left Nebraska, they had a couple white guys, Eric Crouch and Scott Frost

Yep my bad.
02-28-2014 08:06 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF

This. But he also ran a wishbone option. Which means that you essentially have a RB at QB. You don't see many great white RBs. Still a racist comment. That being said, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Tim Tebow, any Navy QB would have fit well into his system.
02-28-2014 08:09 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The funny thing is there are really only a few truly effective dual threat guys every year (super-talents like Vick, Vince Young, Cam Newton, Jamis Winston etc.) and everyone is recruiting them. The average dual threat QB tends to be useless. This is why ODU has been successful so quickly offensively. Our QB broke all kinds of HS records and nobody wanted him because he is a drop back guy at 6 feet. Now we have a 4-star drop back guy coming in.
02-28-2014 08:13 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(02-28-2014 08:09 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

This. But he also ran a wishbone option. Which means that you essentially have a RB at QB. You don't see many great white RBs. Still a racist comment. That being said, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Tim Tebow, any Navy QB would have fit well into his system.

Yeah was his offense back in the day so I understand the comment.
02-28-2014 08:18 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(02-28-2014 08:18 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Exactly...That is the context of his comment. He is just being honest. There were not many white QB's capable of the triple option back then. I think Johnny Nutsack could do it today.
02-28-2014 10:17 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(02-28-2014 10:17 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Exactly...That is the context of his comment. He is just being honest. There were not many white QB's capable of the triple option back then. I think Johnny Nutsack could do it today.

Yeah but if you only recruit white QBs because your O style is for pocket passers then your honesty will cost you 90 points of credibility in the MSM.
02-28-2014 10:43 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-28-2014 10:43 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 07:51 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  ...what's really funny is he coached at OU

Yeah but if you only recruit white QBs because your O style is for pocket passers then your honesty will cost you 90 points of credibility in the MSM.

I still wouldn't say it. As a pocket coach, I'd take Byron Leftwich in a heartbeat.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:53 AM by EverRespect.)
02-28-2014 10:53 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(02-28-2014 10:53 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 08:09 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  This. But he also ran a wishbone option. Which means that you essentially have a RB at QB. You don't see many great white RBs. Still a racist comment. That being said, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Tim Tebow, any Navy QB would have fit well into his system.

I still wouldn't say it. As a pocket coach, I'd take Byron Leftwich in a heartbeat.

But you understand what I'm saying. There are just as many running white QB devils as there are black pocket passers...
02-28-2014 11:03 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Switzer...LOL
02-28-2014 11:05 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-28-2014 11:03 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 08:18 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Yeah was his offense back in the day so I understand the comment.

But you understand what I'm saying. There are just as many running white QB devils as there are black pocket passers...

Yeah, not many black pocket passers. Leftwich, Warren Moon and Doug Williams are the only two successful ones I could think of off the hop of my head. McNabb and Randall Cunningham are the only ones I could think of that transitioned to a pocket passer with relative success as they aged and crippled. The others have had short shelf lives in the NFL. I don't see Wilson, RGIII or Kaepernick making the transition. Cam Newton maybe, but he reminds me of a young Daunte Culpepper, who couldn't make the transition.
02-28-2014 11:17 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(02-28-2014 11:17 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 10:17 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Exactly...That is the context of his comment. He is just being honest. There were not many white QB's capable of the triple option back then. I think Johnny Nutsack could do it today.

Yeah, not many black pocket passers. Leftwich, Warren Moon and Doug Williams are the only three successful ones I could think of off the hop of my head. McNabb and Randall Cunningham are the only ones I could think of that transitioned to a pocket passer with relative success as they aged and crippled. The others have had short shelf lives in the NFL. I don't see Wilson, RGIII or Kaepernick making the transition. Cam Newton maybe, but he reminds me of a young Daunte Culpepper, who couldn't make the transition.

Yes, for some reason black QB's can do great in college, but they don't last long in the NFL... I mean, look at Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell.
02-28-2014 11:21 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-28-2014 11:21 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 10:43 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Yeah but if you only recruit white QBs because your O style is for pocket passers then your honesty will cost you 90 points of credibility in the MSM.

Yeah, not many black pocket passers. Leftwich, Warren Moon and Doug Williams are the only three successful ones I could think of off the hop of my head. McNabb and Randall Cunningham are the only ones I could think of that transitioned to a pocket passer with relative success as they aged and crippled. The others have had short shelf lives in the NFL. I don't see Wilson, RGIII or Kaepernick making the transition. Cam Newton maybe, but he reminds me of a young Daunte Culpepper, who couldn't make the transition.

Yes, for some reason black QB's can do great in college, but they don't last long in the NFL... I mean, look at Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell.

Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell fell into the, "he has a strong arm and he can run" category, which doesn't make a good pro-QB. Russell had zero work ethic and Vince Young didn't have anything in-between the ears.
02-28-2014 11:42 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-28-2014 10:17 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Exactly...That is the context of his comment. He is just being honest. There were not many white QB's capable of the triple option back then. I think Johnny Nutsack could do it today.

Yeah, not many black pocket passers. Leftwich, Warren Moon and Doug Williams are the only two successful ones I could think of off the hop of my head. McNabb and Randall Cunningham are the only ones I could think of that transitioned to a pocket passer with relative success as they aged and crippled. The others have had short shelf lives in the NFL. I don't see Wilson, RGIII or Kaepernick making the transition. Cam Newton maybe, but he reminds me of a young Daunte Culpepper, who couldn't make the transition.

Garrard did arguably better than Leftwich.
02-28-2014 11:43 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(02-28-2014 11:43 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 10:43 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Yeah but if you only recruit white QBs because your O style is for pocket passers then your honesty will cost you 90 points of credibility in the MSM.

Under Pat Dye...ECU had a white wishbone QB....Mike Weaver. He was BTW damn good. Best I ever saw at holding the ball until the last second on the pitch. He also rarely turned it over. Switzer would have been very impressed with him.
02-28-2014 11:49 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-28-2014 11:43 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

Good call. Garrard was at least as good in the NFL. Leftwich was better in college IMO. Of course throwing to Randy Moss didn't hurt,
02-28-2014 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.