Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ok, if the season ended tonight, who wins the tie-breaker for 1st/1seed/regseas.cham?
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Ok, if the season ended tonight, who wins the tie-breaker for 1st/1seed/regseas.cham?
?
02-27-2014 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Ok, if the season ended tonight, who wins the tie-breaker for 1st/1seed/regseas.cham?
I think it's:
1. La. Tech (2-1, beat Tulsa)
2. Tulsa (2-1, lost @LT)
3. MTSU (1-2, beat USM)
4. Southern Miss (1-2, lost @MTSU)
02-27-2014 11:33 PM
Funslinger Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Ok, if the season ended tonight, who wins the tie-breaker for 1st/1seed/regseas.cham?
(02-27-2014 11:33 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I think it's:
1. La. Tech (2-1, beat Tulsa)
2. Tulsa (2-1, lost @LT)
3. MTSU (1-2, beat USM)
4. Southern Miss (1-2, lost @MTSU)

Correct.
02-27-2014 11:43 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
I have a feeling @uab might have a wrench to throw in that mess
02-28-2014 12:00 AM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think this is it as of today:

1. La Tech 11-3 (tiebreak 2-1, beat Tulsa)
2. Tulsa 11-3 (tiebreak 2-1, lost to La Tech)
3. MTSU 11-3 (tiebreak 1-2, beat USM)
4. Southern Miss 11-3 (tiebreak 1-2, lost to MTSU)
5. UTEP 10-4
6. Old Dominion 8-6 (beat Tulane)
7. Tulane 8-6 (lost to ODU)
8. UAB 7-7
9. North Texas 6-8
10. East Carolina 5-9 (tiebreak 1-1, beat La Tech)
11. Charlotte 5-9 (tiebreak 1-1, beat Tulsa)
12. FAU 5-9 (tiebreak 1-1, lost to Tulsa)
13. UTSA 4-10
14. Marshall 3-11
15. Rice 2-12

FIU would make the 10th place tie a four-way, but I don't know if they're counted in the tie breaking procedure.

10. ECU v. 15. Rice
11. Charlottev. 14. Marshall
12. FAU v. 13. UTSA

ECU/Rice v. 7. Tulane
Charlotte/Marshall v. 6. ODU
FAU/UTSA v. 5. UTEP
8. UAB v. 9. UNT
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:18 AM by STexMiner.)
02-28-2014 12:07 AM
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
According to a poster on the TU rivals board they do not uses head to head for tie breakers

http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=...15&style=2
02-28-2014 12:15 AM
Advertisement

cmullinsTU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
This is not actually correct if the season ends tonight TU is #1 seed and LA Tech is #2 seed:

Here's why, take the teams which are 11-3 and compare head to head:
TU - 2-1
Southern Miss - 1-2
Middle Tenn - 1-2
LA Tech - 2-1

Under C-USA's rules this eliminates Southern Miss and Middle Tenn and only TU and LA Tech remain. It has been assumed on many message boards that it then goes to these 2 teams head-to-head record, however this is not how the rules work in C-USA. The rules state it then goes down the list of remaining teams in conference comparing the tied teams records to the team with the best record until one team gains an advantage. It isn't clear to me if this is C-USA record or Overall Record. I would assume the former, but in either case this would be UTEP.

TU - 1-0
LA Tech - 0-1
02-28-2014 12:15 AM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-28-2014 12:15 AM)cmullinsTU Wrote:  This is not actually correct if the season ends tonight TU is #1 seed and LA Tech is #2 seed:

TU - 2-1
Southern Miss - 1-2
Middle Tenn - 1-2
LA Tech - 2-1

Under C-USA's rules this eliminates Southern Miss and Middle Tenn and only TU and LA Tech remain. It has been assumed on many message boards that it then goes to these 2 teams head-to-head record, however this is not how the rules work in C-USA. The rules state it then goes down the list of remaining teams in conference comparing the tied teams records to the team with the best record until one team gains an advantage. It isn't clear to me if this is C-USA record or Overall Record. I would assume the former, but in either case this would be UTEP.

TU - 1-0
LA Tech - 0-1

Yeah, I noticed that. If that's the correct interpretation, then they need to rewrite the rule because it's pretty dumb.
02-28-2014 12:23 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-28-2014 12:00 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  I have a feeling @uab might have a wrench to throw in that mess

UAB has to win 1 of their next 2 games, because if ECU beats Marshall and ODU then ECU gets 8th place due to owning the tiebreaker over UAB.
02-28-2014 12:29 AM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 12:15 AM)cmullinsTU Wrote:  This is not actually correct if the season ends tonight TU is #1 seed and LA Tech is #2 seed:

TU - 2-1
Southern Miss - 1-2
Middle Tenn - 1-2
LA Tech - 2-1

TU - 1-0
LA Tech - 0-1

This is incorrect. The next tiebreaker only comes into play if head-to-head doesn't break the tie. After head-to-head breaks the tie by eliminated MTSU and USM, a new two-way tie now needs to be broken. La Tech wins the head-to-head and gets the #1 seed. Sorry Tulsa fans, as of right now you are the 2 seed. My Eagles are the 4 seed as MTSU wins the head-to-head with us.

I am now a fan of UTEP and whoever is playing Tulsa.

If the season ends like this:
1 Southern Miss 13-3
2 La Tech 13-3
3 MTSU 13-3
4 Tulsa 12-4
5 UTEP 12-4

my Eagles would be the 1 seed as follows:
Head-to-head does not break the tie at the top so records against Tulsa and UTEP are used. USM and La Tech are 1-1 and MTSU is 0-2 making MTSU the 3 seed. Now head-to-head is used to break the new two-way tie and USM gets the 1 seed.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 01:09 AM by Funslinger.)
02-28-2014 12:58 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech ends the season @ UAB & @ Rice
02-28-2014 01:09 AM
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Tech should send chocolate and flowers to Tulsa when it gets back from El Paso, Texas.

Hours after Tech dominated Middle Tennessee at home to move into a tie for first place, Tulsa knocked off UTEP on the road to put Tech into the driver’s seat of the Conference USA race.

While four teams are now tied atop the standings at 11-3, Tech control’s its own destiny and can capture the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament — assuming all four teams finish 13-3 — by closing out the season with wins at UAB and at Rice.

Based on C-USA tiebreakers, which are broken down into ‘mini-conferences,’ Louisiana Tech and Tulsa would sit at 2-1 (Tech beat Tulsa and MTSU and lost to USM, while Tulsa beat MTSU, USM and lost to Tech) and USM and MTSU would both be 1-2 among the four teams.

After the mini-conferences are broken down, it goes to a head-to-head tiebreaker. Since Tech beat Tulsa earlier this month, Tech would get the No. 1 seed in the tournament. Tulsa would be second, MTSU third due to a tiebreaker stemming from its win over USM and USM would be fourth.

Obviously if Tech stumbles at UAB or Rice, the No. 1 seed goes out the window. Things can also get messy if either Tulsa or MTSU lose again in its final two games. Tech’s goal of a top seed hinges on Tulsa and MTSU winning out since both teams provide the necessary tiebreakers.

Since Southern Miss holds the tiebreaker over Tech, a loss by either Tulsa or MTSU would give USM the top seed.

To recap: If there is a four-way tie in the final standings, and Tech, USM, Tulsa and Middle Tennessee all finish with 13-3 records, the top four seeds would be:

1. Louisiana Tech
2. Tulsa
3. Middle Tennessee
4. Southern Miss

http://blogs.thenewsstar.com/seanisabell...-usa-race/
02-28-2014 01:19 AM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 01:19 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Louisiana Tech should send chocolate and flowers to Tulsa when it gets back from El Paso, Texas.

Hours after Tech dominated Middle Tennessee at home to move into a tie for first place, Tulsa knocked off UTEP on the road to put Tech into the driver’s seat of the Conference USA race.

While four teams are now tied atop the standings at 11-3, Tech control’s its own destiny and can capture the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament — assuming all four teams finish 13-3 — by closing out the season with wins at UAB and at Rice.

Based on C-USA tiebreakers, which are broken down into ‘mini-conferences,’ Louisiana Tech and Tulsa would sit at 2-1 (Tech beat Tulsa and MTSU and lost to USM, while Tulsa beat MTSU, USM and lost to Tech) and USM and MTSU would both be 1-2 among the four teams.

After the mini-conferences are broken down, it goes to a head-to-head tiebreaker. Since Tech beat Tulsa earlier this month, Tech would get the No. 1 seed in the tournament. Tulsa would be second, MTSU third due to a tiebreaker stemming from its win over USM and USM would be fourth.

Obviously if Tech stumbles at UAB or Rice, the No. 1 seed goes out the window. Things can also get messy if either Tulsa or MTSU lose again in its final two games. Tech’s goal of a top seed hinges on Tulsa and MTSU winning out since both teams provide the necessary tiebreakers.

Since Southern Miss holds the tiebreaker over Tech, a loss by either Tulsa or MTSU would give USM the top seed.

To recap: If there is a four-way tie in the final standings, and Tech, USM, Tulsa and Middle Tennessee all finish with 13-3 records, the top four seeds would be:

1. Louisiana Tech
2. Tulsa
3. Middle Tennessee
4. Southern Miss

http://blogs.thenewsstar.com/seanisabell...-usa-race/

Correct, as I stated in my earlier post. Except La Tech does not control its destiny. Because of MTSU's loss, I don't think any team controls its destiny.

If the final standings are:
USM, La Tech and MTSU @ 13-3 and Tulsa and UTEP @ 12-4, USM is the 1 seed.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 02:00 AM by Funslinger.)
02-28-2014 01:37 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-28-2014 12:15 AM)cmullinsTU Wrote:  It has been assumed on many message boards that it then goes to these 2 teams head-to-head record, however this is not how the rules work in C-USA. The rules state it then goes down the list of remaining teams in conference comparing the tied teams records to the team with the best record until one team gains an advantage.

Then that is one stupid rule. How is their record against the 5th place team more relevant than their record against each other?
02-28-2014 02:24 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-28-2014 12:29 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 12:00 AM)Dracorex Wrote:  I have a feeling @uab might have a wrench to throw in that mess

UAB has to win 1 of their next 2 games, because if ECU beats Marshall and ODU then ECU gets 8th place due to owning the tiebreaker over UAB.
They only have to win 1 if ECU wins 2.
You also need UNT to lose 2 games...they are ahead of ECU and hold the tiebreaker over ECU.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 02:28 AM by DrBox.)
02-28-2014 02:27 AM
Funslinger Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 02:24 AM)DrBox Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 12:15 AM)cmullinsTU Wrote:  It has been assumed on many message boards that it then goes to these 2 teams head-to-head record, however this is not how the rules work in C-USA. The rules state it then goes down the list of remaining teams in conference comparing the tied teams records to the team with the best record until one team gains an advantage.

Then that is one stupid rule. How is their record against the 5th place team more relevant than their record against each other?

He is wrong about that. The tiebreakers listed in last week's Basketball Notebook refute his claim.

Page 6 of this pdf.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-us...elease.pdf
02-28-2014 03:31 AM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-28-2014 02:27 AM)DrBox Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 12:29 AM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

They only have to win 1 if ECU wins 2.
You also need UNT to lose 2 games...they are ahead of ECU and hold the tiebreaker over ECU.

UNT remaining schedule: UTEP and Tulsa
UAB remaining schedule: LT and MTSU
ECU remaining schedule: Marshall and ODU
FIU remaining schedule: Tulane and FAU
FAU remaining schedule: USM and FIU
02-28-2014 08:14 AM
Jesterondirt Offline

(02-28-2014 03:31 AM)Funslinger Wrote:  

He is wrong about that. The tiebreakers listed in last week's Basketball Notebook refute his claim.

Page 6 of this pdf.

It clearly says in the link you posted that a tie of 3 or more teams does not use head to head in the equation.
02-28-2014 09:13 AM
Weatherdemon Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(02-28-2014 09:13 AM)Jesterondirt Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 03:31 AM)Funslinger Wrote:  

Page 6 of this pdf.

It clearly says in the link you posted that a tie of 3 or more teams does not use head to head in the equation.

Yep.
Right now, if all of the top 4 teams win out it's:

1) Base on winning % against the others in the top 4 then
2) head to head.

Tulsa and La Tech are both 2-1 but La Tech beat Tulsa so:
1. Louisiana Tech
2. Tulsa

MTSU and USM are both 1-2 but MTSU beat USM so:
3. Middle Tennessee
4. Southern Miss
02-28-2014 09:19 AM
Jesterondirt Offline

Gotcha
02-28-2014 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.