UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time to play spoiler
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Time to play spoiler
Two teams now come into Bartow tied for first. They will come in fired up. La Tech and MTSU are both new members of CUSA and want to win the regular season in their inaugural season.

The Blazers stand in their way.

We may not win the regular season, but we will have a say in who wins it. UAB has an asset that they don't take on Road trips. A raucous Bartow arena. A fired up student section. A loud wooden bleacher stomping Bartow Arena. Both of these teams have played in Bartow Arena before, but those games were in November and December when Birmingham is more interested in pigskin. They have not faced Bartow Arena in its March fury.

Show up Blazer fans. Help the team play spoiler.
02-27-2014 10:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BandGrad Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: Time to play spoiler
I'm there!!!!!!
02-27-2014 10:28 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

One of my daughters has a music program on Sunday afternoon so I will have to miss that game.

I'll be there next Thursday though.
02-27-2014 10:30 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

Great post, MB. I'm bringing 5 with fury.
02-27-2014 11:52 PM
BlazerDon Offline
Special Teams

I'm in Uganda but I will wake up early and check the scores...
02-28-2014 03:04 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(02-27-2014 10:27 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Two teams now come into Bartow tied for first. They will come in fired up. La Tech and MTSU are both new members of CUSA and want to win the regular season in their inaugural season.

The Blazers stand in their way.

We may not win the regular season, but we will have a say in who wins it. UAB has an asset that they don't take on Road trips. A raucous Bartow arena. A fired up student section. A loud wooden bleacher stomping Bartow Arena. Both of these teams have played in Bartow Arena before, but those games were in November and December when Birmingham is more interested in pigskin. They have not faced Bartow Arena in its March fury.

Show up Blazer fans. Help the team play spoiler.
It is good to read that you are unusually enthusiastic about the remaining two games on the schedule, as well as the conference tournament. It is safe to say that this team has possibilities. They are a scrappy bunch of hard nosed.....rebounders, for sure, and not too shabby on defense, either. I certainly hope that they are on a winning streak that propels them far and beyond our imagination.
02-28-2014 07:29 AM
Advertisement

CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
This could be one of the best posts by MB ever !!! (picking up some of the "belief" missing since the departure of 58-56)
A raucous Bartow Arena in March would be a great springboard for a tourney run for the Blazers.
02-28-2014 07:35 AM
iam4uab Offline
All American

Hey, we're actually in decent position. Sure, it doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to, but those last two wins get us a 20 win season.

I think that's even more reason to make sure you get there if you can.
02-28-2014 11:15 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
This may be crazy talk, but if we can win these last two, and then maybe get two wins in conference tournament, we will be sitting at 22-11 and having won 7 of the last 8. It won't be good enough to get us on the bubble, but might get us some Nit talk.
02-28-2014 11:27 AM
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
...let the NIT-picking begin.
02-28-2014 11:51 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(02-28-2014 11:51 AM)CourtsideBlazer Wrote:  ...let the NIT-picking begin.

NIT is still a longshot at the moment. UAB is going to have to make a serious run in the tourney to get into the NIT.
02-28-2014 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-28-2014 12:07 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 11:51 AM)CourtsideBlazer Wrote:  ...let the NIT-picking begin.

NIT is still a longshot at the moment. UAB is going to have to make a serious run in the tourney to get into the NIT.

Yes, that what I said. Four straight wins, two of which is over league leaders plus two tournament wins to get to the semi finals would be a serious run.
02-28-2014 12:09 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I think the biggest problem with any NIT talk is going to be our conference rank. Southern Miss, La Tech, MTSU, and UTEP will all likely have better records overall and in conference play. As of today, we are still 8th in the conference. It is possible to get as high as 6th, or as low as something I don't even want to think about. I don't think the current NIT is going to take more than 3 C-USA schools, so that's a major hurdle that I don't think we'll overcome. If we win the next two, pus two in the tournament, I do think that'd be enough to get us in one of the postseason tournaments. The question would then become, do we want to play in one of those?

Simply put, I think there is zero chance at us making the NIT this year.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 12:48 PM by blazers9911.)
02-28-2014 12:47 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-28-2014 12:47 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I think the biggest problem with any NIT talk is going to be our conference rank. Southern Miss, La Tech, MTSU, and UTEP will all likely have better records overall and in conference play. As of today, we are still 8th in the conference. It is possible to get as high as 6th, or as low as something I don't even want to think about. I don't think the current NIT is going to take more than 3 C-USA schools, so that's a major hurdle that I don't think we'll overcome. If we win the next two, pus two in the tournament, I do think that'd be enough to get us in one of the postseason tournaments. The question would then become, do we want to play in one of those?

Simply put, I think there is zero chance at us making the NIT this year.

However, NCAA and NiT committees pay little attention to conference ranking. They look at the body of work, who you beat and who you lost to. It's a long shot, but if we close out strong, I think we will get consideration.
02-28-2014 12:52 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I know they pay little attention to conference ranking, but if things are close, I think La Tech, Southern Miss, MTSU, and UTEP will all get the nod ahead of us. Winning the next two games wouldn't even get our RPI in the top 100. Our first game in the conference tournament likely won't help that any, and our second could be decent depending. I just don't see anyway we get in with a record of 22-11 and an RPI near 100. I hope I'm wrong, I just see us having no chance.
02-28-2014 12:57 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
How are the other tournaments after the NCAA and the NIT picked? I don't recall their names, but they take the leftovers from the first two.
02-28-2014 01:10 PM
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Why hope for 2nd fiddle? I'm still hoping for that NCAA bid. Have yet to see any evidence that we can't play with anyone in this league (though we've lost to some of the worst as well). If we keep our sights on that auto bid, even if we fall a little short (say a loss in the semis), I think the NIT is a real option.

Even closing out the regular season with 2 more wins, we would be 20-10 with 6 wins vs the RPI Top 100 (of which either 2 or 3 would be against the RPI Top 50). There will be some NCAA teams with numbers worse than that, especially when you account for the auto bids. Unfortunately our bad losses will keep our RPI around 100 even with 2 more wins. But win another couple games in the CUSA tournament and get into the RPI Top 100, I definitely could see the NIT becoming at least in the realm of possibility.
02-28-2014 01:14 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-28-2014 01:14 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Why hope for 2nd fiddle? I'm still hoping for that NCAA bid. Have yet to see any evidence that we can't play with anyone in this league (though we've lost to some of the worst as well). If we keep our sights on that auto bid, even if we fall a little short (say a loss in the semis), I think the NIT is a real option.

Even closing out the regular season with 2 more wins, we would be 20-10 with 6 wins vs the RPI Top 100 (of which either 2 or 3 would be against the RPI Top 50). There will be some NCAA teams with numbers worse than that, especially when you account for the auto bids. Unfortunately our bad losses will keep our RPI around 100 even with 2 more wins. But win another couple games in the CUSA tournament and get into the RPI Top 100, I definitely could see the NIT becoming at least in the realm of possibility.

Well why are you settling for only an NCAA bid. Go all out and expect to win the national Championship,
02-28-2014 01:20 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 01:20 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 01:14 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Why hope for 2nd fiddle? I'm still hoping for that NCAA bid. Have yet to see any evidence that we can't play with anyone in this league (though we've lost to some of the worst as well). If we keep our sights on that auto bid, even if we fall a little short (say a loss in the semis), I think the NIT is a real option.

Well why are you settling for only an NCAA bid. Go all out and expect to win the national Championship,

I'm in
02-28-2014 01:24 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(02-28-2014 01:20 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

Oh, he was serious?
02-28-2014 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.