UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

William Lee leads Dallas County HS to Finals in State Tourney
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
William Lee leads Dallas County HS to Finals in State Tourney
Lee was impressive. By my count he had 25 points , was 7 of 9 from the free throw lane, had a couple of blocks and at least 1 significantly altered shot and a goal tending call. He had around 8 rebounds and 1 really nice assist. They won in overtime against a pesky Madison County HS team.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 11:05 AM by BlazrDawg.)
02-27-2014 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: William Lee leads Dallas County HS to Finals in State Tourney
4A boys semifinals: Dallas County dethrones defending champ Madison County in overtime thriller (video)
http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/arti...riller/#/0
02-27-2014 07:57 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Was it close to midnight?
02-27-2014 08:09 AM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-27-2014 12:07 AM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  Lee was impressive. By my count he had 25 points , was 7 or 9 from the free throw lane, had a couple of blocks and at least 1 significantly altered shot and a goal tending call. He had around 8 rebounds and 1 really nice assist. They won in overtime against a pesky Madison County HS team.

He is quick getting off the floor and played strong around the basket. As one of the announcer stated, he knows his skill set is and not trying to force anything that he shouldn't be doing (i.e trying to play point guard, shoot 3's, etc.) I was impressed and look forard to him playing at UAB.
02-27-2014 08:41 AM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

Woah... Lee looks LEGIT. He's going to be a great addition to this team. Here's to hoping we can surprise some folks in Nassau!
02-27-2014 09:05 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2014 08:09 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Was it close to midnight?

The girls game before it went to OT and the Dallas/MC game also was OT. I didnt get home till around 11PM
02-27-2014 11:10 AM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(02-27-2014 08:09 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Was it close to midnight?

Was something evil lurking in the dark ?
02-27-2014 11:12 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

02-27-2014 11:20 AM
GoBlazers468 Offline
2nd String

I was at the game. From what I saw, Dallas County isn't incredibly talented as a team. Their offense consisted of passing it around the perimeter until they could get it to Lee or miss a shot for him to rebound.

He obviously is offensively and defensively talented. As far as his body goes, I don't think he could physically compete at a Division 1 Level and make a huge difference due to his slightness AT THIS POINT IN TIME. He has an outstanding amount of potential though with his long arms the amount of spring in his leap. He is a 17 year old kid and I'm sure the first order of business when he gets on campus will be doubling up on meal plans.

With all that being said, I am extremely excited to have him coming to UAB next year!
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 12:49 PM by GoBlazers468.)
02-27-2014 12:48 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

(02-27-2014 12:48 PM)GoBlazers468 Wrote:  I was at the game. From what I saw, Dallas County isn't incredibly talented as a team. Their offense consisted of passing it around the perimeter until they could get it to Lee or miss a shot for him to rebound.

He obviously is offensively and defensively talented. As far as his body goes, I don't think he could physically compete at a Division 1 Level and make a huge difference due to his slightness AT THIS POINT IN TIME. He has an outstanding amount of potential though with his long arms the amount of spring in his leap. He is a 17 year old kid and I'm sure the first order of business when he gets on campus will be doubling up on meal plans.

With all that being said, I am extremely excited to have him coming to UAB next year!

He might be the second coming of Jarvis Varnardo from MissState
02-27-2014 12:53 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I doubt he'd be ranked as a top 75 recruit nationally if it wasn't felt that he could come in and immediately contribute.

I don't think he will immediately DOMINATE, but he will definite contribute from day 1, even if it's only a Mehinti-esque contribution initially
02-27-2014 12:58 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I think he'll eventually be spending more time as a SF than PF depending on what's built around him.
02-27-2014 01:04 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I hope not. I hope we find a SF who can extend out to the 3 point line. Lee may eventually get there, but it doesn't even sound like he's close to that. Plus, his shot blocking ability is a huge plus and I really hope we don't put him somewhere where that is taken away. I'm hoping Sullivan can develop into a true SF for us.
02-27-2014 01:26 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
25 points, 12 rebounds, 4 blocks

He shot a very high % from the field and the FT line... no box score to be found online, but the live stats during the game showed he was 9-11 from the line and hitting 75% from the field... no 3pt attempted.

I believe he also led his team in assists with 3.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 01:56 PM by UABslant.)
02-27-2014 01:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
frenchbeef Offline
Special Teams

(02-27-2014 01:26 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I hope not. I hope we find a SF who can extend out to the 3 point line. Lee may eventually get there, but it doesn't even sound like he's close to that. Plus, his shot blocking ability is a huge plus and I really hope we don't put him somewhere where that is taken away. I'm hoping Sullivan can develop into a true SF for us.

Agree 100%
02-27-2014 01:59 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

One reason schools like UNC, Duke, & Ohio St have top freshmen who are ready to play significant minutes is because of the type of team they came from. They get 6'8"-9" guys coming in as freshman who project to be SF because they were on HS teams where they were not forced to play in the middle. These kids were on HS teams that had guys taller than them(6'10-7ft+) so they could play and learn out on the court away from the basket. This is also a reason many HS players transfer to HS "basketball factories". That's a rarity in Alabama so most tall kids play down low. These same kids have to work their butt off in college to make up for that time lost in high from not playing their "natural" position. From what I've heard and read, because of his skill set, Lee's "natural" and "eventual" position will be SF. It may not be in the immediate future, but I think the coaches will allow him to grow towards that. He can still be a force defensively from the SF position as he helps down low, but from the SF position he would also be able to alter some 3pt attempts that seem to kill us. Also, our wings rebound the ball at a pretty good pace, anyway. And, as I said, it depends on what develops around him ...
02-27-2014 02:25 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Duke, UNC, & Ohio State also get NBA ready players. There's a big jump from there to Lee, as good as he may be. Some 6'5" guys have a natural position of PF, and some 7' guys have a natural position of SG. It's all dependent on the team built around players, but if Lee could shoot 3's well, I'd assume we'd see some of that in HS.

To me, his skill set sounds like a prototypical PF in college basketball. He has good size, he rebounds well, and he blocks shots. He doesn't appear to have shown much range based off of what I've read (not saying he doesn't have any, just that he hasn't shown it in games), and I always worry about the handles on a guy his height. If he is planning on playing in the NBA, then I guess SF is where he'd belong. But I don't think for a second that he can be the same defensive force at SF that he is at PF. And altering 3's is a tough thing to do at this level. Normally you get a clean block, or the guy shoots before you can get to him. I also have no clue how quick Lee is, so a 3 guard lineup could cause us fits if he can't keep up with them.

Again, all my thoughts are based off of highlights, stats, and what I've read. I haven't talked to anybody in the know, I just feel moving him away from the basket may not be best for the team.
02-27-2014 02:34 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I suspect he is the total package.

Some players have to work on their jump shot when they get to college.
02-27-2014 02:40 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I think the Jarvis Varnado comparison was a very astute one. Varnado was a very good college player and hung around on the Miami Heat roster for a couple of seasons.

He seems like a skinny shot blocking and rebounding machine. I'm sure his weight, bulk, and overall scoring ability will catch up with his raw talents, but I don't think he's going to be a three point shooting SF. I think he will be an athletic, wiry, bouncy PF who will eventually develop a mid range jumper, who is primarily a rebounder, shot blocker, and low post scorer (although not your typical, back to the basket post up scorer).
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 03:00 PM by The Answer UAB.)
02-27-2014 03:00 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Does UAB have any space for April signees? If so, what type of player would be priority #1?
02-27-2014 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.