Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expansion Rumors - Should AAC act before MWC???
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Expansion Rumors - Should AAC act before MWC???
The Potential MWC Realignment Dilemma Part 1: Olympic Sports
By Terrance Dickens  @tdickens13

Jeff Bottari
The Mountain West Conference has 12 football schools and 11 Olympic sport schools, there could be a need to expand soon to bring the Olympic sports to an even 12.

The Mountain West Conference has an even number of schools in football because Hawaii is a football only member. The problem is that leaves only 11 schools to play the Olympic sports. The schools play 18 conference games in basketball but its no longer a round robin. The biggest problem is that it sets up for an uneven basketball tournament field because the top five teams will receive byes while the remaining six will play for three spots in the quarterfinals. This is reminiscent of the Big Ten conference prior to them adding Nebraska in 2011 bringing the conference to an even 12 schools. Over the next couple months a lot of realignment rumors will emerge, but the MWC could potentially have a major dilemma on their hands if they stay at 11 for full member schools.

If the conference decides to add just a non football school here are my suggestions:

Gonzaga - The Zags will be a huge fit because of their basketball pedigree. They're a mid major powerhouse in basketball who was recently a number one seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. They also have an exceptional women's basketball program that could help boost the conference profile for women's basketball.  The Kennel would add to the list of tough places to play in the Mountain West Conference.

Wichita State - The Shockers are currently ranked 4th in the nation in men's basketball. Their women's team is making a push towards the top 25. Another benefit to adding the shockers is their volleyball program is a school that could be a major boost to the MWC along with being a major threat to Colorado State. Which I believe is what the conference needs for volleyball. Just think how huge would a San Diego State vs Wichita State men's basketball game be for the conference. Major networks would be all over it.

Hawaii - This would make the Rainbow Warriors a full member of the conference. Their basketball programs are decent but my reason for adding this school would be the home and home volleyball series they would have against Colorado State. That would be must see TV because the Rainbow Wahine are a top 10 program and the Rams are another top program. They also sell out their volleyball matches on a consistent basis and would bring a major boost to volleyball.

These schools would all be great additions in their own unique ways. I believe that the MWC needs to get to 12 members in all sports to prevent unbalanced tournaments and make it an even more exciting conference schedule. Plus twelve sounds a lot better than eleven.
02-26-2014 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
RE: Expansion Rumors - Should AAC act before MWC???
I may be in the minority, but I think we would be better off trying to make Navy a full time member. We are a football conference first, and the second we start making decisions based on basketball is the second we start heading down the same road that doomed the Big East.
02-26-2014 10:00 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(02-26-2014 10:00 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  I may be in the minority, but I think we would be better off trying to make Navy a full time member. We are a football conference first, and the second we start making decisions based on basketball is the second we start heading down the same road that doomed the Big East.

Navy's olympics add ZERO value
02-26-2014 10:02 AM
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
(02-26-2014 10:00 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  I may be in the minority, but I think we would be better off trying to make Navy a full time member. We are a football conference first, and the second we start making decisions based on basketball is the second we start heading down the same road that doomed the Big East.

Definitely in the minority.
02-26-2014 10:10 AM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(02-26-2014 10:02 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

With our abysmal basketball history, and the current state of our Baseball program, one can make the same argument against ECU. As hard as we've fought for a place at the table, we of all people shouldn't be arguing against the exclusion of anyone.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 10:12 AM by PirateJP.)
02-26-2014 10:10 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
If we expand it shouldn't be for basketball. We should go big and be the first 16 or 18 school conference.

EAST: UConn, Temple, Navy, UC, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis
WEST: Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, Air Force (FB only)

EAST: UConn, Temple, Navy, UC, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane
WEST: Houston, SMU, Tulsa, New Mexico, Colorado State, UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, Air Force (FB only)

Cut the head of the MWC.
02-26-2014 10:11 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

This. If we add anybody else for a 12th it should be VCU or Wichita St. That said, there's really no "need" to have an even number in Oly sports.
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

(02-26-2014 10:10 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  

With our abyssal basketball history, and the current state of our Baseball program, one can make the same argument against ECU. As hard as we've fought for a place at the table, we of all people shouldn't be arguing against the exclusion of anyone.

Navy doesn't want their other sports in the AAC though, should we force them when they don't bring any value anyway?
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(02-26-2014 10:11 AM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  

With our abyssal basketball history, and the current state of our Baseball program, one can make the same argument against ECU. As hard as we've fought for a place at the table, we of all people shouldn't be arguing against the exclusion of anyone.

Navy doesn't want their other sports in the AAC though, should we force them when they don't bring any value anyway?

Exactly, they enjoy the Patriot League. It's the perfect fit for their other sports.
02-26-2014 10:13 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(02-26-2014 09:51 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  The Potential MWC Realignment Dilemma Part 1: Olympic Sports
By Terrance Dickens  @tdickens13

Jeff Bottari

Plus twelve sounds a lot better than eleven.

But eleven has more syllables. I'm pretty sure all conference expansion boils down to phonetics.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 10:16 AM by CougarRed.)
02-26-2014 10:15 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

... and the current state of our Baseball program, one can make the same argument against ECU. As hard as we've fought for a place at the table, we of all people shouldn't be arguing against the exclusion of anyone.
While humility is nice ... are you really serious about "the current state of our Baseball program"!? That is a big time stadium and big time atmosphere there. I know that things are not at the level of when Coach LeClair was there, but it is still a Top 30 program.
02-26-2014 10:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(02-26-2014 10:11 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

This. If we add anybody else for a 12th it should be VCU or Wichita St. That said, there's really no "need" to have an even number in Oly sports.

I would throw St. Louis into the mix if we're just looking for one non-football playing member.
02-26-2014 10:18 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(02-26-2014 10:18 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 10:11 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

I would throw St. Louis into the mix if we're just looking for one non-football playing member.

NO!!!!!!! To St Louis. They are one foot away from a Big East addition and would flat out leave us for such an invite if it came. They fit the Big East more than the AAC.
02-26-2014 10:28 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU

02-26-2014 10:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(02-26-2014 09:51 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  The Mountain West Conference has 12 football schools and 11 Olympic sport schools, there could be a need to expand soon to bring the Olympic sports to an even 12.

Two points:

#1. In my experience, the term "Olympic sports" is almost always synonymous with non-revenue sports (e.g. baseball, softball, track and field, tennis, swimming and diving, etc). While basketball is technically an Olympic event, I don't think I've ever heard some one refer to it as an "Olympic sport". Instead, it is almost always lumped in with football as a "Major" or "Revenue" sport.

#2. Any expansion has to consider financial implications first and foremost.
- If adding schools is a revenue booster, then the MWC should probably expand.
- If adding programs is essentially revenue neutral (only a slight increase or decrease in revenues), then it really depends on how big of an issue having an imbalance tournament really is. The Big 10 didn't see it as a problem so I'm not sure why the MWC would either.
- If adding programs is a revenue drain, then the MWC doesn't need to expand at all. Part of the reason why Hawaii is a football-only member is due to the cost of shipping minor sports teams all the way to Hawaii.
02-26-2014 10:42 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(02-26-2014 10:42 AM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 09:51 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  The Mountain West Conference has 12 football schools and 11 Olympic sport schools, there could be a need to expand soon to bring the Olympic sports to an even 12.

Two points:

#1. In my experience, the term "Olympic sports" is almost always synonymous with non-revenue sports (e.g. baseball, softball, track and field, tennis, swimming and diving, etc). While basketball is technically an Olympic event, I don't think I've ever heard some one refer to it as an "Olympic sport". Instead, it is almost always lumped in with football as a "Major" or "Revenue" sport.

#2. Any expansion has to consider financial implications first and foremost.
- If adding schools is a revenue booster, then the MWC should probably expand.
- If adding programs is essentially revenue neutral (only a slight increase or decrease in revenues), then it really depends on how big of an issue having an imbalance tournament really is. The Big 10 didn't see it as a problem so I'm not sure why the MWC would either.
- If adding programs is a revenue drain, then the MWC doesn't need to expand at all. Part of the reason why Hawaii is a football-only member is due to the cost of shipping minor sports teams all the way to Hawaii.

Authentic frontier jibberish.

The only thing that matters: phonetics.
02-26-2014 10:48 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
The only reason we need to expand is to destory the MWC. BYU olympics is the answer to their #12.
02-26-2014 10:48 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(02-26-2014 10:11 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  If we expand it shouldn't be for basketball. We should go big and be the first 16 or 18 school conference.

WEST: Tulane, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, Air Force (FB only)

WEST: Houston, SMU, Tulsa, New Mexico, Colorado State, UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, Air Force (FB only)

Cut the head of the MWC.

This.
02-26-2014 10:51 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(02-26-2014 10:18 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  

... and the current state of our Baseball program, one can make the same argument against ECU. As hard as we've fought for a place at the table, we of all people shouldn't be arguing against the exclusion of anyone.
While humility is nice ... are you really serious about "the current state of our Baseball program"!? That is a big time stadium and big time atmosphere there. I know that things are not at the level of when Coach LeClair was there, but it is still a Top 30 program.

ECU baseball and Memphis basketball have a lot in common when things arent going so well. People lose their mind.
02-26-2014 10:55 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-26-2014 10:51 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 10:11 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  If we expand it shouldn't be for basketball. We should go big and be the first 16 or 18 school conference.

Cut the head of the MWC.

This.

Go with the 16 option...
02-26-2014 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.