Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

An NFL team should spend every pick on a quarterback
Bookmark and Share
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
An NFL team should spend every pick on a quarterback
I have never heard this logic before, so all of you are hearing an original thought.

If I ran an NFL team and I didn't have a super star quarterback, I would spend every pick I had drafting a quarterback. I would draft a quarterback in the first round, second round, third round, fourth round, fifth round and sixth round. I would sign free agent quarterbacks.

Basically, once you find a super star quarterback, your franchise is set for the next 15 years. Your team will be guaranteed to make the playoffs 10 out of 12 years. I would have 10 or 12 quarterbacks on my roster and I would settle for nothing but greatness. Tony Romo would be gone. Matt Ryan would be gone.

The trick, of course, would be knowing who your super star quarterback is. The Falcons famously traded Brett Favre. The Chargers got rid of Drew Brees.

I would hire a coach and give him five of the top seven quarterbacks in the draft, and let him tell me who was the best after he gave them all some playing time. If he let a super star quarterback get away, then I would fire him.

The Bills, for example, have been floundering for 20 years. If they drafted nothing but quarterbacks, couldn't they find a superstar in two or three seasons?
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2014 10:49 PM by TIGERBANDIT.)
02-25-2014 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RationalRebel Offline
All American

I Root For: Ole Miss
RE: An NFL team should spend every pick on a quarterback
What is the quarterback you pick as the starter going to do? Hand the ball off or throw to one of the other 17 quarterbacks on the roster?
02-25-2014 10:50 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Rational Rebel,

You obviously don't know much about the NFL. I knew there would be people like you who watch Mike and Mike each morning and think they are the smartest people to ever walk the Earth.

You have a $130 million dollar salary cap.

Even if you are paying 10 rookie quarterbacks, you still have about a $110 Million to spend on free agents.

The most important thing is to find a super star quarterback.
02-25-2014 11:01 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-25-2014 11:01 PM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  Rational Rebel,

You obviously don't know much about the NFL. I knew there would be people like you who watch Mike and Mike each morning and think they are the smartest people to ever walk the Earth.

Even if you are paying 10 rookie quarterbacks, you still have about a $110 Million to spend on free agents.

Stop joking us.
02-25-2014 11:41 PM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
CDS
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 08:32 AM by TIGERBANDIT.)
02-25-2014 11:48 PM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

If every owner thought like you there wouldn't be enough QBs to go around to all 32 teams. That's basically the problem in the NFL now, there aren't 32 quality QBs in the league.
02-26-2014 10:17 AM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

Your replies tell me there is absolutely no reason for me or anyone else to bother responding to you in this thread. This could possibly be the most asinine idea ever proposed on any message board I've ever been a part of and that is saying a lot.
02-26-2014 11:31 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-25-2014 11:48 PM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  I'm not joking you Stammers.

By the way, who the F are you?

I don't give a F about your reputation points. I have been on this board for almost 10 years and there is nothing that you have said that I remember.

So, who the F are you again?

I'm not an looney tunes who thinks a team should draft 10 quarterbacks.
02-26-2014 11:53 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(02-25-2014 10:45 PM)TIGERBANDIT Wrote:  I have never heard this logic before, so all of you are hearing an original thought.

If I ran an NFL team and I didn't have a super star quarterback, I would spend every pick I had drafting a quarterback. I would draft a quarterback in the first round, second round, third round, fourth round, fifth round and sixth round. I would sign free agent quarterbacks.

Basically, once you find a super star quarterback, your franchise is set for the next 15 years. Your team will be guaranteed to make the playoffs 10 out of 12 years. I would have 10 or 12 quarterbacks on my roster and I would settle for nothing but greatness. Tony Romo would be gone. Matt Ryan would be gone.

The trick, of course, would be knowing who your super star quarterback is. The Falcons famously traded Brett Favre. The Chargers got rid of Drew Brees.

I would hire a coach and give him five of the top seven quarterbacks in the draft, and let him tell me who was the best after he gave them all some playing time. If he let a super star quarterback get away, then I would fire him.

The Bills, for example, have been floundering for 20 years. If they drafted nothing but quarterbacks, couldn't they find a superstar in two or three seasons?

To be fair, Brett was not a good fit with a run-and-shoot offense.
02-27-2014 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

I Root For: wile e coyote
This is an interesting conversation, one I had with a friend of mine a few weeks ago. Until this year when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl with Russell Wilson, there was an 8-year streak of Super Bowl winners who were quarterbacked by a 1st round draft pick, save Drew Brees who was the first pick in the second round.

Russell Wilson - 3rd round (75th overall)
Joe Flacco - 1st round (18th overall)
Eli Manning - 1st round (1st overall)
Aaron Rodgers - 1st round (24th overall)
Drew Brees - 2nd round (32nd overall)
Ben Roethlisberger - 1st round (11th overall)
Eli Manning - 1st round (1st overall)
Peyton Manning - 1st round (1st overall)
Ben Roethlisberger - 1st round (11th overall)
Tom Brady - 6th round (199th overall)
Brad Johnson - 9th round (227th overall)

Drafting multiple quarterbacks is absurd, but drafting one high is definitely a good idea.

You definitely get credit for originality, TIGERBANDIT, but you lost me at "Romo would be gone". ha
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 02:45 PM by Phillip26r.)
02-27-2014 09:53 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
I point you to.., drum roll please....the last two Super Bowl champions....average qbs & top ranked defenses....thank you. And the steelers who've won more than anyone...with D
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 12:30 AM by BIGDTiger.)
02-28-2014 12:29 AM
TIGERBANDIT Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BigD,

That is the last two super bowls, but what about the 10 super bowls before that? I suggest that if you can land a Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers then you have a much better percentage since all those quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl. Is Big Ben a Super Star? I don't know, but I think you know it when you have it.

The main point is that even if you draft a QB all six rounds that is still only six players in a team made up of 60 players. Since draft picks make up so few of your actual roster anyway, why wouldn't a team first spend all their time trying to find a super star quarterback. Assuming that you already have a lot of players on your roster from previous years and you can purchase free agents, it seems logical that the first step would be identifying a super star quarterback.

I guess the question would be, when do you know you have a super star and then can start building around for the rest of the team. Obviously, the Steelers know they have a championship caliber-QB with Big Ben.

But for a team like the Browns or the Bills, why not stockpile the 10 best quarterbacks in the draft and see if you can find the one who will be a Hall of Famer?
02-28-2014 12:50 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Says the guy saying a team should spend every pick on a QB...
02-28-2014 01:20 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RationalRebel Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 01:20 AM)Rob Wrote:  

Ha. I didn't feel like breaking it to him that he'd only have 43 roster spots to use on the other 24 positions (10 offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter, long snapper). Figured it might blow his mind.
02-28-2014 08:27 AM
Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

I Root For: wile e coyote
All kidding aside, I'd like to see a team try this philosophy. Any one of the Giants, Eagles, or Redskins would be a perfect team to do this.
02-28-2014 09:18 AM
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-28-2014 08:27 AM)RationalRebel Wrote:  

Ha. I didn't feel like breaking it to him that he'd only have 43 roster spots to use on the other 24 positions (10 offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter, long snapper). Figured it might blow his mind.

I'd love to see the offensive line! What's the over/under for safeties/negative yards for a team with a bunch of qb's in the trenches.
02-28-2014 09:39 AM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

(02-28-2014 09:39 AM)JerryJeff Wrote:  

I'd love to see the offensive line! What's the over/under for safeties/negative yards for a team with a bunch of qb's in the trenches.

Jared Lorenzen - RG
Jamarcus Russell - LG
Ben Roethlisberger - C

Who are your RT and, most importantly, LT?

Cam Newton is big and quick, but I'm not sure I'd want him protecting my blindside.

Byron Leftwich was pretty fat, but he wears like Size 5 shoes, so I'm not sure how well that would work trying to establish position to block.

This idea is really growing on me. Have already passed it on to the Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers front offices.
03-01-2014 08:17 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(03-01-2014 08:17 AM)RationalRebel Wrote:  

Jared Lorenzen - RG
Jamarcus Russell - LG
Ben Roethlisberger - C

Cam Newton is big and quick, but I'm not sure I'd want him protecting my blindside.

Byron Leftwich was pretty fat, but he wears like Size 5 shoes, so I'm not sure how well that would work trying to establish position to block.

This idea is really growing on me. Have already passed it on to the Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers front offices.

Don't be a dumba$$. If you already had a right guard on the roster you would play Lorenzen at defensive back.
03-01-2014 02:07 PM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

(03-01-2014 02:07 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 08:17 AM)RationalRebel Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 01:20 AM)Rob Wrote:  Says the guy saying a team should spend every pick on a QB...

Jared Lorenzen - RG
Jamarcus Russell - LG
Ben Roethlisberger - C

Don't be a dumba$$. If you already had a right guard on the roster you would play Lorenzen at defensive back.

Duh. I'm so stupid. I clearly don't know anything about the NFL. I guess TIGERBANDIT was right after all.

But I made up for it. I chartered a private jet to Vegas and put my entire life's savings on TIGERBANDIT's team to win the Super Bowl.
03-01-2014 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.