Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN 30 for 30 "Requiem for the Big East"
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
ESPN 30 for 30 "Requiem for the Big East"
Coming up on 3/16. Show we discuss the rise and fall of the Big East Conference. Wonder if we will be mentioned.

ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 series will continue with “Requiem For The Big East,” premiering Sunday, March 16, at 9 p.m. ET after Bracketology on ESPN. The film, directed by Peabody Award-winning filmmaker Ezra Edelman, explores the meteoric ascension of the Big East Conference, and how in less than a decade under the innovative leadership of founder and Commissioner Dave Gavitt, it became the most successful college sports league in America.

The film is told primarily through the lens of famed Big East coaches such as Jim Boeheim, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Pitino and John Thompson, former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese, and some of its most iconic players like Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Ed Pinckney. It chronicles the rivalries and successes that led many of them to become household names.

The Big East was a groundbreaking athletic and business creation that encapsulated the era and region in which it was born – from the toughness of the players and coaches hailing from some of the Northeast’s most storied cities, to the executives and Wall Street brokers who thrived because of it. Launched in 1979—the same year that ESPN was born—the Big East used the burgeoning cable TV network and the media as a whole to help spread its gospel to fans and future players across the nation. But “Requiem For The Big East” is also a tale of change as the super conference eventually found itself in a new era fighting for survival.

“From its creation, the Big East had a dramatic impact on the college basketball landscape,” said John Dahl, Executive Producer, ESPN Films. “’Requiem For The Big East’ explores what made it so extraordinary and how the hurdles to keep it thriving became more and more challenging to overcome.”

“Having grown up on the East Coast, I’ve spent most of my life as a dedicated fan of the Big East and I, like so many others, was saddened by its split last year,” said director Ezra Edelman. “In setting out to make a film about the league, I hoped to not simply tell a story about the rise of a great basketball conference but also understand and ultimately convey the causes of its fall. “

Following the premiere of “Requiem For The Big East” on ESPN, ESPNU will air “Big East Extras,” a special featuring bonus material such as extended highlights and interviews from the film.

*Advance film screener available upon request*

30 for 30-related updates are available at http://www.facebook.com/espn30for30 and http://www.twitter.com/30for30. Fans can join the conversation with hashtag #BigEast.

About ESPN Films

Created in March 2008, ESPN Films produces high-quality films showcasing some of the most compelling stories in sports. In October 2009, ESPN Films launched the Peabody Award-winning, Producer’s Guild Award-winning and Emmy-nominated 30 for 30 film series. Inspired by ESPN’s 30th Anniversary, the films that made up the series were a thoughtful and innovative reflection on the past three decades told through the lens of diverse and interesting sports fans and social commentators. The strong reaction from both critics and fans led to the launch of 30 for 30 Volume II, which is currently underway. Additional projects from ESPN Films include the critically acclaimed Nine for IX series, SEC Storied and the webby award winning 30 for 30 Shorts.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...-big-east/

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 02:29 PM by CliftonAve.)
02-24-2014 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
RE: ESPN 30 for 30 "Requiem for the Big East"
Is there a trailer for it?

02-24-2014 02:25 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Will they also mention how ESPN helped destroy it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

02-24-2014 02:55 PM
TrevorStreets Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
Mick Cronin makes an appearance in the opening montage.

02-24-2014 03:09 PM
RLBearcat09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: D.J. Fumbles

02-24-2014 03:22 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(02-24-2014 03:09 PM)TrevorStreets Wrote:  Mick Cronin makes an appearance in the opening montage.

Anywhere else besdies?

02-24-2014 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I am sure someone on here will watch it. I don't, so please use this thread to summarize. Thanks.

02-24-2014 04:47 PM
EffinBJ Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincinnati
This is a tremendous series, outside of a few stinkers. "The Two Escobars" is about as good a documentary as you will ever see. Glad to see that they will look at the greatest basketball conference that ever was.

02-24-2014 06:02 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(02-24-2014 06:02 PM)EffinBJ Wrote:  This is a tremendous series, outside of a few stinkers. "The Two Escobars" is about as good a documentary as you will ever see. Glad to see that they will look at the greatest basketball conference that ever was.

I always mention this when I get the chance, the one about Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic is absolutely outstanding.

02-24-2014 06:15 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(02-24-2014 06:15 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(02-24-2014 06:02 PM)EffinBJ Wrote:  This is a tremendous series, outside of a few stinkers. "The Two Escobars" is about as good a documentary as you will ever see. Glad to see that they will look at the greatest basketball conference that ever was.

I always mention this when I get the chance, the one about Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic is absolutely outstanding.

You beat me to it. Vlade-Petro was my favorite, must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

The thing I like is these shows are entertaining for different reasons, some are outstanding dramas, some are funny, some are educational.

02-24-2014 06:49 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
My fave 30 for 30 is the one about the U.

Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Beercat - the Divac one was called "Once Brothers." I'm a runner, so the one entitled "Into the Wind", caught my attention. Both were very well done. I enjoyed some of the others too, "Pony Excess," "The Best That Never Was," and "The U." I thought with "Pony Excess" they should have also focused on the fact that the rest of the SWC was just as dirty as SMU. They seemed to infer this, however made it seem as if SMU was the biggest perpetrator. The one on Maurice Clarret took a revisionist look at his downfall and more or less rationalized his behavior.

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

My favorites off the top of my head

Vlade-Petro, The U, Reggie Miller, Ben Wilson, Pony Excess, Two Escobars.

02-24-2014 06:52 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
I think my favorite was The Two Escobars, but I've missed several of them.

02-24-2014 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SW UC Offline
Special Teams

I loved the Two Escobars and it is one of the best documentaries ever. The U was great and it was done by Billy Corben who did Cocaine Cowboys which is a must see. I really liked the 16th Man which was about Nelson Mandela and the South African Rugby Team.

02-24-2014 07:52 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I really liked the one about athletes who end up flat broke. My one criticism of the series in general is that on a lot of the episodes they try to put some happy ending spin on things which I think wound up to be pretty awful or tragic for the principles involved.

02-24-2014 07:53 PM
Advertisement

EffinBJ Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincinnati
(02-24-2014 07:52 PM)SW UC Wrote:  I loved the Two Escobars and it is one of the best documentaries ever. The U was great and it was done by Billy Corben who did Cocaine Cowboys which is a must see.

yes and yes and yes.

02-24-2014 08:19 PM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

In my opinion, the best one was "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?". Super interesting, even interviews the Trump, aka the man that killed the USFL.

Speaking of, check out the A11FL. Its a new startup football league tthat's gonna play some showcase games in May/June on ESPN using the A11 offense, some of the old USFL teams are being resurrected by the league.

02-24-2014 11:16 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I agree, Small Potatoes was one of my favorites along with "Broke".

02-25-2014 09:46 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Small Potatoes, Fab Five, and The Two Escobars are my top three.

02-25-2014 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.