Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enquirer - Q&A with Mike Bohn
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Enquirer - Q&A with Mike Bohn
Nothing really too interesting in this interview other than his tempered comments about getting into a P5 league.

Q:
The conference situation obviously is a top priority. How important is it to get UC into one of the Power Five conferences?

A: First of all, we are in a conference (American Athletic Conference). We are in a conference that is very proud and with a conference commissioner in Mike Aresco that I was fortunate enough to work with and know for 25 years. That’s where we’ve got to continue to work. You talk about all our sports, we want to be conference champions. There’s a lot of changing landscape around us, but we want to be strong supporters of our league and help develop that brand and our conference.

For the most part we can’t control the national landscape, but we understand we want to compete at the highest level. We can compete at the highest level in this conference. You have five teams ranked in the Top 25 in men’s basketball. You have the ability, as Cincinnati has proven, to be at the BCS level (football). They were in it twice, and the structure is there to be in marquee bowl games. We can make major strides in the league that we’re in, understanding that there could be changes. We do not want to send any message to anybody in our conference or any of our student-athletes that we disrespect the league that we’re in. We want to enhance it and build it and do everything we can to reach all the goals we have within that league.

Q:
Perception-wise, is it still important to get UC into one of the Power Five leagues eventually?

A: I don’t want to disrespect any of our colleagues in our league. Now, do we aspire just like probably other members of the league do? Yes, of course. But I think we have a lot of work to do to pull that together. We don’t know … our current league could expand and grow. We don’t know where other leagues could go. We need to be mindful of it and be a national leader in helping pull those different things together, just like I believe we were at my previous institution (Colorado, which moved into the Pac-12 under Bohn).

We’ll certainly be in that picture and working hard on that, but our first priority is to compete and try to win conference championships in the league we’re in and respect the league, and build the league. All those other things will take care of themselves.

Q:
There has been a lot of talk about Fifth Third Arena, whether UC renovates it, builds a whole new facility or moves the basketball games downtown to US Bank Arena. What would you like to see happen?

A: I know that the president (Santa Ono) and (men’s coach) Mick (Cronin) and others have worked on studies to identify that. I’m anxious to learn a little bit more about how that model has worked for Louisville and the decisions that went into their very successful model there. It’s an issue we’ve got to be on top of.

The good news is we have the president, we have our basketball coach and I’ll work with them to make sure we’re all in alignment … and work hard with our corporate partners, our donors, our season ticket holders, the students. There are so many different constituents. We want to make sure we can build a model, regardless of where it is, that gives us an opportunity to build some sustained excellence in that sport.

Full article - http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20140...-Mike-Bohn

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 08:12 AM by bearcatfan.)
02-24-2014 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.