Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obvious Realignment Moves
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Obvious Realignment Moves
During the last round of realignment a number of moves were made that were discussed on message boards for years.

Moves like Colorado to the PAC and Rutgers to the B1G were speculated on. Nobody was sure they would be acted on but it happened. What moves out there seem obvious to happen eventually but havent' been made yet?

1. Cincinnati to B12. It seems inevitable that the B12 will get back to 12 and the Cincinnati is the best overall draft pick available for them.

2. UConn to ACC. Some think this will never happen because of a Boston College block but geography and trajectory of the school says otherwise.

3. St. Louis to Big East. The consensus is these guys will eventually find a home in the Big East basketball conference due to their market size. The question then becomes more the 12th.

4. Sienna to the A10. Thoughts here is eventually the Albany based school will get a call up because of their facility and fan support.

What other moves do people think are almost inevitable? Don't list any pending moves either (e.g. JMU to the MAC).
02-23-2014 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: Obvious Realignment Moves
The ACCs petition to get rid of divisions would make these and other additions a lot more likely.

For example, if the ACC could just add UConn and not have to worry about finding #16 (technically 17 but ND isn't actually a FB member for scheduling) then Id bet you'd see these and other single moves happen like just either BYU or Cincy to the B12
02-23-2014 07:02 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-23-2014 06:58 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  During the last round of realignment a number of moves were made that were discussed on message boards for years.

Moves like Colorado to the PAC and Rutgers to the B1G were speculated on. Nobody was sure they would be acted on but it happened. What moves out there seem obvious to happen eventually but havent' been made yet?

1. Cincinnati to B12. It seems inevitable that the B12 will get back to 12 and the Cincinnati is the best overall draft pick available for them.

2. UConn to ACC. Some think this will never happen because of a Boston College block but geography and trajectory of the school says otherwise.

3. St. Louis to Big East. The consensus is these guys will eventually find a home in the Big East basketball conference due to their market size. The question then becomes more the 12th.

4. Sienna to the A10. Thoughts here is eventually the Albany based school will get a call up because of their facility and fan support.

What other moves do people think are almost inevitable? Don't list any pending moves either (e.g. JMU to the MAC).

I don't think its obvious the Big 12 tries to become mathematically correct again or that anyone goes to 16 (sorry UConn). I also don't think St. Louis is any lock to the Big East. BE has a lot of options. By the time they decide to move, someone may come up in the east (a 6th in the east would be logical). Dayton is really a better program over time, better than some of the ones in the Big East.
02-23-2014 07:09 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
1. i have a hard time saying anyone "speculated" on rutgers most of the speculation was about colorado, UNL, mizz, syracuse, pitt, uconn, & even buffalo got more publicity about b10 expansion than rutgers

2. you have moves like texas to the pac/sec aggie to the sec, syracuse to the acc, & cu to the pac that were moves that had been legitimate expansion rumors in the past and were being actively targeted by other conferences. other than mizz to the b10 & texahoma moving to the pac and/or sec I don't see any moves that fit that description
02-23-2014 07:10 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-23-2014 07:10 PM)john01992 Wrote:  1. i have a hard time saying anyone "speculated" on rutgers most of the speculation was about colorado, UNL, mizz, syracuse, pitt, uconn, & even buffalo got more publicity about b10 expansion than rutgers

2. you have moves like texas to the pac/sec aggie to the sec, syracuse to the acc, & cu to the pac that were moves that had been legitimate expansion rumors in the past and were being actively targeted by other conferences. other than mizz to the b10 & texahoma moving to the pac and/or sec I don't see any moves that fit that description

The Big 10 has been talking about Rutgers for years, just as the Pac had been talking about Colorado.
02-23-2014 07:11 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2014 07:02 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  The ACCs petition to get rid of divisions would make these and other additions a lot more likely.

For example, if the ACC could just add UConn and not have to worry about finding #16 (technically 17 but ND isn't actually a FB member for scheduling) then Id bet you'd see these and other single moves happen like just either BYU or Cincy to the B12

That is a good point because you could have 3 divisions of 5 in the ACC.

North: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville
Central: UVA, Virginia Tech, UNC, Duke, Clemson
South: Wake Forest, NC State, Ga Tech, Florida St, Miami

Have the two highest ranked winners overall play for the ACC football championship.
02-23-2014 07:12 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

3x5 leads to some pretty sensible divisions for a lot of conferences.

I also like the idea of a conference tournament (another new option under the ACC plan) where you had all 3 division winners plus one wild card of the highest ranked team that didn't win it's division.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 07:16 PM by 10thMountain.)
02-23-2014 07:15 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2014 07:09 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 06:58 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  During the last round of realignment a number of moves were made that were discussed on message boards for years.

I don't think its obvious the Big 12 tries to become mathematically correct again or that anyone goes to 16 (sorry UConn). I also don't think St. Louis is any lock to the Big East. BE has a lot of options. By the time they decide to move, someone may come up in the east (a 6th in the east would be logical). Dayton is really a better program over time, better than some of the ones in the Big East.

True about Dayton. I also wonder if the Big East would give Wichita and VCU a look as #11 and #12 simply because they make for clean East-West divisions.
02-23-2014 07:16 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2014 07:15 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I also like the idea of a conference tournament (another new option under the ACC plan) where you had all 3 division winners plus one wild card of the highest ranked team that didn't win it's division.

A 4 team conference tournament for the ACC? Or are you talking about football here?
02-23-2014 07:17 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

Sorry, I was talking about a potential FB tournament
02-23-2014 07:27 PM
john01992 Offline

(02-23-2014 07:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 07:10 PM)john01992 Wrote:  1. i have a hard time saying anyone "speculated" on rutgers most of the speculation was about colorado, UNL, mizz, syracuse, pitt, uconn, & even buffalo got more publicity about b10 expansion than rutgers

The Big 10 has been talking about Rutgers for years, just as the Pac had been talking about Colorado.

i disagree 100% about 7-8 other schools were being discussed way more often than rutgers
02-23-2014 07:34 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(02-23-2014 07:02 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  The ACCs petition to get rid of divisions would make these and other additions a lot more likely.

Uneven numbers for football is still not preferable because it forces you to have one team have a bye or OOC game during conference season. Now with the current two bye schededule and the ND deal that alleviates it for the ACC, but for say the Big XII, uneven numbers create problems. Especially the Big XII since you cannot mathematically have nine conference games with 11 or 15 teams. The Big XII plays 9 now, and the ACC has considered 9.
02-23-2014 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Okie State to the PAC 12 will eventually happen.

A handful of Big 12 remnants (Kansas, K State, WVU, maybe Baylor) and ACC schools (UNC, UVA, NC State, VT) will eventually end up in the SEC and Big 10.

16 team PAC, Big 10, and SEC will happen. Best of the rest will make up a 16 team ACC.
02-23-2014 07:42 PM
CardFan1 Online
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I think if the ACC needed 1 school they would probably grab Cincinnati to keep the Big12 at bay and add Ohio market to bridge Louisville, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame. Cincinnati offers a Major City Market that fans into Ohio and Kentucky Indiana and West Virginia as it's very close to all of those market areas.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 07:45 PM by CardFan1.)
02-23-2014 07:43 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

I can see St Louis being a likely move, given their relationship with the other four Jesuit schools. None of the others are what I would call likely, much less obvious.
02-23-2014 07:59 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
The Big 12 will not expand unless our TV partners force us to expand. If they force us to expand, they will have to pay us an additional $40+ million to keep current members happy.

That being said, no one is available that adds another 40 plus in revenue.
02-23-2014 08:03 PM
Advertisement

Chuck A Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UIC Flames

Northern Kentucky to the Horizon League is pretty much inevitable. Their President used to be a high ranking dean at Cleveland State and their new Athletic Director used to be the Athletic Director at Green Bay. Both are quite familiar with the HL. NKU would make a natural travel partner for Wright State.

I think Belmont is a program that the HL could still possibly convince to join. The one problem in snagging them would be a travel partner: Murray State or Evansville.
02-23-2014 08:07 PM
john01992 Offline

if the acc needed another member I think their tier 1 expansion targets are notre dame, wvu, & navy.

i don't see them adding cincy unless they decide to go past 16. cincy is a great school & a great program however I do think their is enough incentive for the ACC to add them to get to 15.
02-23-2014 08:26 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-23-2014 08:03 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  The Big 12 will not expand unless our TV partners force us to expand. If they force us to expand, they will have to pay us an additional $40+ million to keep current members happy.

That being said, no one is available that adds another 40 plus in revenue.

[Image: 4601871+_2df54d12a20212e5747d11afe0710d52.jpg]
02-23-2014 08:33 PM
john01992 Offline

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 08:37 PM by john01992.)
02-23-2014 08:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.