Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Pet predator in Cordova
Why not tell us your thought.
02-23-2014 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-23-2014 11:34 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  Thoughts?

Coyote, without a doubt. I actually saw one in Cordova 6 years ago.
02-23-2014 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(02-23-2014 12:47 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

Me too, close to Countrywood. But what is confusing is that I don't see a coyote climbing a 6' privacy fence. We have coyotes all over my area and this hasn't happened to my knowledge. To me it sounds more like a large cat of some kind and my daughter says it has moved into Fayette County. Just trying to separate truth from fiction.
02-23-2014 01:06 PM
supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS
I had a friend who lives out in the country who blamed coyotes for the death of his 3 dogs. He set up a wildlife cam and found that it was actually a black panther. I wouldn't have believed him had it not been for the photos.

I could see a bobcat killing a dog, but I've also heard of dogs tracking and killing them.
02-23-2014 02:26 PM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-23-2014 02:26 PM)supertiger Wrote:  I had a friend who lives out in the country who blamed coyotes for the death of his 3 dogs. He set up a wildlife cam and found that it was actually a black panther. I wouldn't have believed him had it not been for the photos.

I could see a bobcat killing a dog, but I've also heard of dogs tracking and killing them.

Cougar wouldn't surprise me either.
02-23-2014 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Black panthers are more common in West Tennessee than you might think. I've seen one myself, in broad daylight.
02-23-2014 03:20 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(02-23-2014 03:20 PM)Hoopla Wrote:  Black panthers are more common in West Tennessee than you might think. I've seen one myself, in broad daylight.

Officially it is denied that they exist. I believe they do, however.
02-23-2014 06:01 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Did I miss something? Is there something killing pets in Cordova?
02-23-2014 06:06 PM
Redbanksdog Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-23-2014 01:06 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 12:47 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

Me too, close to Countrywood. But what is confusing is that I don't see a coyote climbing a 6' privacy fence. We have coyotes all over my area and this hasn't happened to my knowledge. To me it sounds more like a large cat of some kind and my daughter says it has moved into Fayette County. Just trying to separate truth from fiction.

This was about ten years ago. I was looking out my back door and saw a coyote, wolf looking dog in my back yard. Mind you, this was no pet. He was running around the back yard trying to find a way out. All of a sudden he jumped the fence and never touched any part of the fence. My back yard fence is only four feet high but this animal didn't have a running start.
02-23-2014 06:18 PM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2014 06:01 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 03:20 PM)Hoopla Wrote:  Black panthers are more common in West Tennessee than you might think. I've seen one myself, in broad daylight.

Several years ago I lived in "the bottoms" in West Tennessee. One warm spring night I had the windows open for the cool breeze and was awakened by the most god-awful noise I've ever heard. It sounded like a woman screaming, like she was being dismembered by a chain-saw-wielding maniac or something. It sent chills down my spine and I came that close to calling it in, because it literally sounded so horrifying.

Only later, after talking to some others who also heard it, did I decide it must have been a big cat, most likely bobcat.

A couple of years after that, I was driving down one of those lonely country roads and a large black animal ran across the road in front of me, crossing from one field to another. I stopped and looked, and that sucker had stopped too and was looking back at me, not thirty feet away. Black as night, much MUCH bigger than a bobcat, maybe slightly smaller than a wolf, long, low, lean, with a very long black tail. It was the long black tail that verified to me what I was seeing. This was no house cat on steroids, and definitely not a coyote. That monster was HUGE. After staring at each other for a couple of seconds, he headed into the woods bordering the field.

Most folks say it's not possible, and like you said "officially" it ain't so. I've heard a few tales from other folks who have seen one too, and I gotta say, if I hadn't seen one with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it either. But it's true. This was several years ago, so I don't know if they're still around here or not, and I haven't heard any stories lately.

But this was in broad daylight, so I know what I saw. And after seeing it, I now believe that "scream" I heard was the black panther. Unforgettable.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 06:28 PM by Hoopla.)
02-23-2014 06:24 PM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline

Donators
(02-23-2014 06:24 PM)Hoopla Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 06:01 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Several years ago I lived in "the bottoms" in West Tennessee. One warm spring night I had the windows open for the cool breeze and was awakened by the most god-awful noise I've ever heard. It sounded like a woman screaming, like she was being dismembered by a chain-saw-wielding maniac or something. It sent chills down my spine and I came that close to calling it in, because it literally sounded so horrifying.

Only later, after talking to some others who also heard it, did I decide it must have been a big cat, most likely bobcat.

A couple of years after that, I was driving down one of those lonely country roads and a large black animal ran across the road in front of me, crossing from one field to another. I stopped and looked, and that sucker had stopped too and was looking back at me, not thirty feet away. Black as night, much MUCH bigger than a bobcat, maybe slightly smaller than a wolf, long, low, lean, with a very long black tail. It was the long black tail that verified to me what I was seeing. This was no house cat on steroids, and definitely not a coyote. That monster was HUGE. After staring at each other for a couple of seconds, he headed into the woods bordering the field.

Most folks say it's not possible, and like you said "officially" it ain't so. I've heard a few tales from other folks who have seen one too, and I gotta say, if I hadn't seen one with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it either. But it's true. This was several years ago, so I don't know if they're still around here or not, and I haven't heard any stories lately.

But this was in broad daylight, so I know what I saw. And after seeing it, I now believe that "scream" I heard was the black panther. Unforgettable.

I'll bet. And that's why I think that could be what's going on in Cordova.
02-23-2014 06:41 PM
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis/OU
Friend of mine who works for the wildlife department said they think its a bobcat, he also said if seen they say shoot to kill cause if it can take down and kill 100lbs dogs a child could be just as easy
02-23-2014 06:47 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(02-23-2014 06:47 PM)T.I.G.E.R.S Wrote:  Friend of mine who works for the wildlife department said they think its a bobcat, he also said if seen they say shoot to kill cause if it can take down and kill 100lbs dogs a child could be just as easy

That's a damned big bobcat.
02-23-2014 06:58 PM
Redbanksdog Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
I don't think it's a bobcat.
02-23-2014 07:06 PM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2014 07:06 PM)Redbanksdog Wrote:  I don't think it's a bobcat.

Only bobcats I've ever seen went after chickens & other fowl. They'd have to be really hungry to go after small dogs or cats.
02-23-2014 08:00 PM
Advertisement

supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS

I agree....

I've got to believe a 35lb cat would have a difficult time killing a 100lb dog.
02-23-2014 08:38 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Where in Cordova?
02-23-2014 10:33 PM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-23-2014 08:38 PM)supertiger Wrote:  

I agree....

I've got to believe a 35lb cat would have a difficult time killing a 100lb dog.

I agree but it could easily take out a domesticated cat and smaller dogs.
02-24-2014 09:57 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
[Image: 1987_predator_008.jpg]
02-24-2014 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.