Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why. Is the Sunbelt Conference perceived as the worst conference in the nation
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Would like you reasons why. Also why certain members are stuck there and cannot get out. They all want to jump ship to CUSA with its new members is basically now the Sunbelt 2.
02-19-2014 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Why. Is the Sunbelt Conference perceived as the worst conference in the nation
I don't feel "stuck" but then again the reason our fans ever had interest in CUSA was Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, and Houston. We are as remote from the current CUSA alignment as we are Sun Belt so we are pretty agnostic about league affiliation. I don't get the feeling that the Sun Belt schools in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and North Carolina share our feelings though :)
02-19-2014 10:32 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
RE: Why. Is the Sunbelt Conference perceived as the worst conference in the nation
Can somebody just end this stupid troll, its like a broken record.
02-19-2014 10:49 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
This guy is relentless in his hatred for the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns...and all things SBC......nothing new to see here ....moving on...oh and once again Savacool.......scoreboard
02-19-2014 11:58 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
(02-19-2014 10:17 PM)Savacool Wrote:  Would like you reasons why. Also why certain members are stuck there and cannot get out. They all want to jump ship to CUSA with its new members is basically now the Sunbelt 2.

Yeah Tulane the school that nobody in the big east wanted and forced it to break apart is talking lmao
02-20-2014 12:03 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(02-19-2014 10:17 PM)Savacool Wrote:  Would like you reasons why. Also why certain members are stuck there and cannot get out. They all want to jump ship to CUSA with its new members is basically now the Sunbelt 2.

Wouldn't your second statement tend to answer your first question?
02-20-2014 12:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
I understand after expenses each Sunbelt member receives approximately $40,000 per year in TV revenues from ESPN with little football and basketball exposure other than ESPN 3. Sadly your Sunbelt commissioner maybe Wright Waters locked the conference by written contract into this miserly amount through 2020 with no hope of change. Other conferences such as CUSA known as the Sunbelt 2 is getting over a million per year per team at least until the contract expires and then it will drop drastically. I guess that is why every team in the Sunbelt wants out of the conference.
02-20-2014 12:37 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-20-2014 12:37 AM)Savacool Wrote:  I understand after expenses each Sunbelt member receives approximately $40,000 per year in TV revenues from ESPN with little football and basketball exposure other than ESPN 3. Sadly your Sunbelt commissioner maybe Wright Waters locked the conference by written contract into this miserly amount through 2020 with no hope of change. Other conferences such as CUSA known as the Sunbelt 2 is getting over a million per year per team at least until the contract expires and then it will drop drastically. I guess that is why every team in the Sunbelt wants out of the conference.

You seem to be under the impression that the contract has no look-in provision. It was similar to the MAC deal in money and length and the league was less agreeable to as many Tuesday/Wednesday games as the MAC so you get what you get.
02-20-2014 12:54 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-19-2014 10:49 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  Can somebody just end this stupid troll, its like a broken record.

this
02-20-2014 06:57 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(02-20-2014 12:37 AM)Savacool Wrote:  I understand after expenses each Sunbelt member receives approximately $40,000 per year in TV revenues from ESPN with little football and basketball exposure other than ESPN 3. Sadly your Sunbelt commissioner maybe Wright Waters locked the conference by written contract into this miserly amount through 2020 with no hope of change. Other conferences such as CUSA known as the Sunbelt 2 is getting over a million per year per team at least until the contract expires and then it will drop drastically. I guess that is why every team in the Sunbelt wants out of the conference.

Its been hard to get a market niche going for the SBC.

1) Lack of recognizable Division 1 names. There are still some schools in CUSA that have names for accomplishments they made in decades past. UAB, WKU, Charlotte, UTEP in basketball for example that the college sports fan recognizes.

Schools in the SBC with the exception of a few instances don't have a lot of tradition at the Division 1 level, often by not being a historical member of D1. FAU, FIU of CUSA also have that problem but its worse in the SBC.

2) Lack of performance in football. The SBC has good conference wide years but never has anyone in the conference won 11 games and challenged for a final Top 25 ranking. The MAC in contrast has had BG, Ohio, Kent, NIU and Ball St win 10+ in the last couple of years with NIU hitting 12 wins the last 2.

I don't know what can be done because those schools have been shoved out of a chance to compete nationally in basketball like schools of SBC past were able to do and play horrifically strong non-conference schedules in football.

One idea maybe is to grow to 16 or 18 overall members and take in non-FB schools like UT-Chattanooga and pitch a large saturation of their footprint. They could construct a conference that without doubt would be superior in numbers and quality to the Southern, OVC or Southland conferences.

They are at 11/11 right now so if they could add NMSU all sport, EKU all sport, UTC that would put the SBC at a 12/14 split. Sounds like a product that could have potential.
02-20-2014 07:04 AM
txstatebobcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas State
The Sunbelt played inferior football for about the first five years of its existence, they also played 2-3 body bag games each season. When TxSt was in the FCS Southland conference, one of our boasts was that we held a winning record vs the Sunbelt. Things have improved drastically over the few years, but until we get a top 25 team that could seriously challenge for an access bowl spot, things will remain the same.

I like the Sunbelt, last year we were the best non-bcs conference and could probably challenge for that spot again this coming season.
02-20-2014 09:06 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-20-2014 09:06 AM)txstatebobcat Wrote:  The Sunbelt played inferior football for about the first five years of its existence, they also played 2-3 body bag games each season. When TxSt was in the FCS Southland conference, one of our boasts was that we held a winning record vs the Sunbelt. Things have improved drastically over the few years, but until we get a top 25 team that could seriously challenge for an access bowl spot, things will remain the same.

I like the Sunbelt, last year we were the best non-bcs conference and could probably challenge for that spot again this coming season.

This.

The Sunbelt had a bunch of move-up schools and were really pretty terrible as a football conference, worse than some of FCS conferences. Last year they were vastly improved.
02-20-2014 10:52 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(02-20-2014 09:06 AM)txstatebobcat Wrote:  The Sunbelt played inferior football for about the first five years of its existence, they also played 2-3 body bag games each season. When TxSt was in the FCS Southland conference, one of our boasts was that we held a winning record vs the Sunbelt. Things have improved drastically over the few years, but until we get a top 25 team that could seriously challenge for an access bowl spot, things will remain the same.

Great answer - winning cures a lot of issues - the fact that the Sun Belt has never had a top 25 team at any point is a huge black mark.

The teams are very competitive with each other, but until one team makes national noise, it is going to have that weak perception.
02-20-2014 11:29 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-20-2014 10:52 AM)bullet Wrote:  

This.

The Sunbelt had a bunch of move-up schools and were really pretty terrible as a football conference, worse than some of FCS conferences. Last year they were vastly improved.

They also have a little bit tougher time winning OOC games as their money games are against SEC teams, whereas the MAC teams, e.g. tend to play Big 10 which has been weaker.
02-20-2014 05:15 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
South Alabama needs to start winning in basketball again - the Jags are the only continuing founding member left in the conference. Charlotte, Georgia State, Jacksonville, South Florida, and New Orleans have all moved on to other conferences. UAB was not a charter member, but joined 3 years later in 1979 alongside VCU. WKU and Old Dominion showed up in 1982, after New Orleans and Georgia State had already left (New Orleans would return in 1991 and leave again in 2010, Georgia State would return in 2013).
02-20-2014 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(02-20-2014 06:50 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  South Alabama needs to start winning in basketball again - the Jags are the only continuing founding member left in the conference. Charlotte, Georgia State, Jacksonville, South Florida, and New Orleans have all moved on to other conferences. UAB was not a charter member, but joined 3 years later in 1979 alongside VCU. WKU and Old Dominion showed up in 1982, after New Orleans and Georgia State had already left (New Orleans would return in 1991 and leave again in 2010, Georgia State would return in 2013).

We have some coaching problems this year. I have no idea why our basketball sucks so bad. We fired Ronnie Arrow for this? Dead Friggin Last in the Conference. In Basketball?
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014 08:15 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
02-20-2014 08:15 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
The Sun Belt needs to gain a larger and stronger following to create a bigger demand. A higher demand would get them on television more often (with more money) and better opportunities to have national audiences watch them beat programs from other conferences. The more people who see, the more respect will be earned. Then the voters in the polls may catch a couple games and decide to rank the winning Sun Belt schools and instead of the upsets of P5 schools looking like flukes, they will be interpreted as legitimate wins. Then the conference is perceived better and someone else goes down a peg.
02-20-2014 08:41 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Uh. Because it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-20-2014 08:46 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-20-2014 08:46 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Uh. Because it is.

Bowl games say otherwise.
02-20-2014 10:36 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-20-2014 08:46 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Uh. Because it is.

Non-AQ bonus says otherwise.
02-20-2014 10:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.