Open TigerLinks

Enough of the past, big game tomorrow night
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Enough of the past, big game tomorrow night
I'm thrilled that the Tigers play an actual game tomorrow night so that maybe, just maybe, these UConn threads will die. Finally.

Look, I expressed my opinion that I thought it was horrible officiating because I still believe it was. Nothing's going to change the outcome though.

I remember going to the Tigers-AZ NCAA game in Tulsa where we apparently got hosed too. Granted, in the final seconds. However, sometimes when you're actually at the game, you feel and sense a different pulse as to the ebb and flow, including officiating. I thought that NCAA game was fairly called.

Point being, I don't recall reading any post about the UConn game where a Tiger fan was actually there. I didn't read through all of the threads, so maybe I missed that if there was one. If so, I'd be curious if that person or people felt that UConn was getting all the breaks as it appeared on TV and that the announcers called out a couple times too. Sometimes actually being there forms a different opinion.

But enough of that - let's go get Rutgers tomorrow night.

GTG
02-19-2014 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Enough of the past, big game tomorrow night
I think I remember reading that someone was there. I can't remember which thread though.
02-19-2014 09:30 PM
spankadelphia Offline
Banned

Stammers was there.
02-19-2014 09:34 PM
Advertisement

Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-19-2014 09:34 PM)spankadelphia Wrote:  Stammers was there.

That's right. It was Stammers.
02-19-2014 09:49 PM
springcat Offline
All American

Whatever.

We did get screwed!

But you're right, new day, new game....much needed win!
02-19-2014 10:09 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Just to be sure.

After a loss or even a win when the theme is to bash the coach or the players- that gets to continue- but the referee carping after that specific screw job needs to end prematurely?

But yes- it will end tomorrow with another game- until some ever so smart one brings it up after it appears Memphis got the benefit of a specific call or two- tweaking the Memphis fans and their conspiracy ideas and whatever else the oh so witty one an come up with to denigrate Memphis fans.

With that- with only 6 games left- every game now is hugely important- and beating all the sub par teams seems like a must to still secure a solid seed and a more manageable first round NCAA game and possible 3 seed or better in the AA tournament.

Need a win after the Edsall loss for sure.
02-19-2014 11:58 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

We got completely screwed. The 3 things that stand out besides the obvious...

1. On many plays, but especially on Shaq's 2 turnovers and a couple of Geron's drives; you could hear their arms being smacked from the stands
2. On both held balls, Shaq and JJ were calling for timeouts at the top of their lungs, when they had possession of the ball, on one of them, a UConn player landed on JJ and wasn't close to the ball
3. Pastner worked the refs hard the entire game

I didn't have much interraction with many fans on either side. We had a major storm on the Thursday, so I decided to make the drive last minute, and left Montreal a little after 6am with my brother. When I go to road games I wear team gear, but try not to make a spectacle of myself by cheering too loud. When UConn got called for a foul midway through the first half, I thought it was the first foul called on them, before the announcer said it was their second. UConn's bigs set a ton of moving screens. I am convinced that every team, including ours, should set them over and over until the ref calls one. Most of the time, the refs don't.

We have a few miserable fans on this board (you know who you are) who lead people to believe crap about Pastner not working the refs. That couldn't be further from the truth. Pastner worked the refs the whole way through and the staff was very vocal about their displeasure the entire game. I didn't make the association to Edsall being the problem; but it turns out he was responsible for a bulk of the calls on both ends.

For the most part the team played really well. The only bad patch that I remembered from being there; was during the first half before the midway point, where it seemed like we went 4 or 5 possessions without getting a shot.

When I got back home, I watched a replay of the game. You get to see a lot more at home than you do at the actual game; especially with the different camera angles, and the benefit of replay, and rewinding to watch certain plays.

UConn fans in the building, knew that the refs were screwing us. It's one of those things that's hard to explain, but I'll try. In the beginning, they were cheering loudly when fouls were called on us and sometimes booing if they thought the refs missed one on us. After the first few minutes, there wasn't ANY booing at all. By the last few minutes of the first half; my brother, who isn't a Tiger fan, was laughing and shaking his head. I can't remember exactly when it was, but when the UConn player fell with the ball and wasn't called for travelling; I wasn't very confident about our chances.

All in all, the team played great and deserved to win.
02-20-2014 08:31 AM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
^^ interesting perspectives, thx
02-20-2014 10:57 AM
TheJesBro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
Thanks for the perspective, Stammers.

I just hope our players don't think the refs are out to get us.

And on the no call where the guy travelled when he fell down with the ball... the announcer (don't know his name) said that the player was juggling the ball and didn't have possesion so it was the correct call. If that is true, PGs could carry the ball the length of the court as long as they juggle the ball.
02-20-2014 11:19 AM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(02-20-2014 08:31 AM)Stammers Wrote:  We got completely screwed. The 3 things that stand out besides the obvious...

1. On many plays, but especially on Shaq's 2 turnovers and a couple of Geron's drives; you could hear their arms being smacked from the stands
2. On both held balls, Shaq and JJ were calling for timeouts at the top of their lungs, when they had possession of the ball, on one of them, a UConn player landed on JJ and wasn't close to the ball

I didn't have much interraction with many fans on either side. We had a major storm on the Thursday, so I decided to make the drive last minute, and left Montreal a little after 6am with my brother. When I go to road games I wear team gear, but try not to make a spectacle of myself by cheering too loud. When UConn got called for a foul midway through the first half, I thought it was the first foul called on them, before the announcer said it was their second. UConn's bigs set a ton of moving screens. I am convinced that every team, including ours, should set them over and over until the ref calls one. Most of the time, the refs don't.

We have a few miserable fans on this board (you know who you are) who lead people to believe crap about Pastner not working the refs. That couldn't be further from the truth. Pastner worked the refs the whole way through and the staff was very vocal about their displeasure the entire game. I didn't make the association to Edsall being the problem; but it turns out he was responsible for a bulk of the calls on both ends.

For the most part the team played really well. The only bad patch that I remembered from being there; was during the first half before the midway point, where it seemed like we went 4 or 5 possessions without getting a shot.

When I got back home, I watched a replay of the game. You get to see a lot more at home than you do at the actual game; especially with the different camera angles, and the benefit of replay, and rewinding to watch certain plays.

UConn fans in the building, knew that the refs were screwing us. It's one of those things that's hard to explain, but I'll try. In the beginning, they were cheering loudly when fouls were called on us and sometimes booing if they thought the refs missed one on us. After the first few minutes, there wasn't ANY booing at all. By the last few minutes of the first half; my brother, who isn't a Tiger fan, was laughing and shaking his head. I can't remember exactly when it was, but when the UConn player fell with the ball and wasn't called for travelling; I wasn't very confident about our chances.

Great first hand report. Thank you.
02-20-2014 11:21 AM
I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS Offline
All American

Thanks Stammers. That was an excellent recap.

About the guy that that fell to the ground with the ball that wasn't called for traveling because they ruled he didn't have possession of the ball. How is a player that doesn't have possession of the ball allowed to call a timeout? Is there a nuance to the rule that allows it in his particular situation I'm missing or was it really as obvious a screw job as it appeared?
02-20-2014 01:14 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-20-2014 08:31 AM)Stammers Wrote:  We got completely screwed. The 3 things that stand out besides the obvious...

I'm a firm believer that at the end of a season, bad calls for/against us even out, so I mostly stay away from those discussions unless I'm super-frustrated.

I do, however appreciate your summary Stammers.

It does put some of those calls in a perspective that I hadn't seen before. Greatly appreciated.
02-20-2014 05:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.