Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

King Obama Acts
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
King Obama Acts
President Barack Obama on Tuesday will order his agencies to tighten the fuel-efficiency standards for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, the latest stage in his effort to tackle climate change without waiting for Congress to act.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/ba...03601.html
02-18-2014 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: King Obama Acts
b/c tackling a problem like global warming is better served by doing nothing....yep, that's the answer....
02-18-2014 09:54 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Because one government official unilaterally acting on his own to fix things has historically worked out soooo well.
02-18-2014 10:03 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
It's so good to be king.
02-18-2014 10:06 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(02-18-2014 09:54 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  b/c tackling a problem like global warming is better served by doing nothing....yep, that's the answer....

You realize that 90% of the products you buy travel at some point by truck. If the government puts unnecessarily strict fuel efficiency regulations on medium and heavy duty trucks, costs will rise on 90% of the products you buy everyday. Heavy duty trucks are rather inefficient, yet they have gotten much better in the past 15 years. Why put restrictive requirements in place that will cost everybody money instead of focusing on other measures that won't have such a negative effect on everybody?

I've run a trucking company since 1998. Since then the average fuel mileage of my 12 truck fleet has risen from 4.5 to just under 7 mpg. Brand new trucks already do better than that in some cases, the problem is that they cost $150,000 a piece. Older trucks are already prohibited from operating in CA because of emissions and low fuel mileage. Unless you want prices across the country to start to mirror CA, this is not a course of action that should be forcibly pursued.

Why not offer a reward for a new more fuel efficient engine? Incentives that make it more cost effective for small and mid sized fleets to replace older units? I'm sure everybody here could come up with a better solution than unilateral action that will not only increase costs to end consumers, but will also put thousands of small businesses out of business because they can't meet the new requirements.
02-18-2014 10:10 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2014 09:54 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  b/c tackling a problem like global warming is better served by doing nothing....yep, that's the answer....

because when less than 20 percent of the electorate agrees with Obama that there is a problem, it's time to make everyone feel the burn...yep, that's the answer.
02-18-2014 10:12 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(02-18-2014 10:03 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Because one government official unilaterally acting on his own to fix things has historically worked out soooo well.

The government won't come to an agreement on anything. If it doesn't work, vote him out and change it.
02-18-2014 10:34 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Don't need to mandate something that is already going to/is already happening.
02-18-2014 10:38 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:03 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Because one government official unilaterally acting on his own to fix things has historically worked out soooo well.

The government won't come to an agreement on anything. If it doesn't work, vote him out and change it.

There is a reason tax laws passed for the spanish-american war are still on the books... Government does not "undo itself" nearly as easily as it grows itself.

The better patch is to work towards getting the support you need in the legislature and if that does not work the support you need from the people to throw out the legislature and replace it..

Obama had 60 senators and a huge majority in the house from 2008-2010 and he did *nothing* on this issue. He has only himself to blame for this situation...
02-18-2014 11:12 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-18-2014 10:34 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Why don't we just ignore the laws we don't like the same way Obama does?
02-18-2014 11:13 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(02-18-2014 09:52 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  President Barack Obama on Tuesday will order his agencies to tighten the fuel-efficiency standards for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, the latest stage in his effort to tackle climate change without waiting for Congress to act.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/ba...03601.html

So now these idiots want to call it climate change I see... And what better than to take it upon yourself to make the calls that YOU want to make... The climate has been changing since the Earth was created, how can someone be so f*cking stupid that they think the U/S will stop the climate from changing...
02-18-2014 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
New CARB & EPA "rules" cost my company about $30G's last year, and then because nobody else had updated products in time they backed off.

Screw Obama and his agencies.
02-18-2014 11:30 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

Ah, yes, the good ol US of A... Saving the world one hybrid at a time. We're really putting a dent in this global warming hoax threat... 03-melodramatic

[Image: hev-sales.jpg]
02-18-2014 11:40 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
The GOP needs to come up with a message highlighting all the things Obama did that unnecessarily sucked money out of the taxpayers pockets and make sure the word gets out before the elections. Sadly, they won't.
02-18-2014 11:44 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(02-18-2014 11:44 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  The GOP needs to come up with a message highlighting all the things Obama did that unnecessarily sucked money out of the taxpayers pockets and make sure the word gets out before the elections. Sadly, they won't.

Hopefully the Tea Party will since we know the GOP won't.
02-18-2014 11:57 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
My buddy is a trucker. His Facebook rant is worth sharing:

Quote:This CRAP is KILLING trucking! Truck are so much more expensive. The average new 'Fleet' tractor cost $130,000 - $150,000 (a few years ago they were $80,000) and the fuel economy isn't that much better. My '01 International got 7mpg because I drove it right. My fleet gets @7mph with 2014 Freightliners. The problem is that all this emissions BS makes the truck unreliable and prone to breaking down over simple sensor issues.
Obama and the EPA are fools for pushing these new regs. The technology just isn't there. The reason? The exhaust restrictions include technology that carries a 500+ pound weight penalty. It also creates tremendous back pressure that requires more horsepower to overcome. The only net positive is that the exhaust coming out is clean enough to breath. The particulate parts per million are incredibly low. What the president proposes is ludicrous and will do NOTHING but drive the price up and the reliability down. He is a frikking MORON!!!
02-18-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(02-18-2014 02:04 PM)Jerry Falwell Wrote:  My buddy is a trucker. His Facebook rant is worth sharing:

Quote:This CRAP is KILLING trucking! Truck are so much more expensive. The average new 'Fleet' tractor cost $130,000 - $150,000 (a few years ago they were $80,000) and the fuel economy isn't that much better. My '01 International got 7mpg because I drove it right. My fleet gets @7mph with 2014 Freightliners. The problem is that all this emissions BS makes the truck unreliable and prone to breaking down over simple sensor issues.
Obama and the EPA are fools for pushing these new regs. The technology just isn't there. The reason? The exhaust restrictions include technology that carries a 500+ pound weight penalty. It also creates tremendous back pressure that requires more horsepower to overcome. The only net positive is that the exhaust coming out is clean enough to breath. The particulate parts per million are incredibly low. What the president proposes is ludicrous and will do NOTHING but drive the price up and the reliability down. He is a frikking MORON!!!

As someone that has run and continues to run a trucking company I feel his pain. I miss $.97 fuel too.
02-18-2014 03:25 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
I'd like to know exactly what curative effect this is supposed to have, relatively speaking. And as illustrated by some of you guys here, at what cost to everyone. My guess is it is nominal at best, actually punitive and harmful at worst.

But alas, dear leader had better hurry and finish this latest folly so he can get busy capping the 50 or more volcanoes that will erupt this year. Spewing far more sulfur and other pollutants into the atmosphere than we probably ever could.

Not to mention the great strides we, in this Country, have made n the last 20 or so years. Go talk to the Chinese and India.
02-18-2014 03:52 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(02-18-2014 03:25 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 02:04 PM)Jerry Falwell Wrote:  My buddy is a trucker. His Facebook rant is worth sharing:

As someone that has run and continues to run a trucking company I feel his pain. I miss $.97 fuel too.

Yeah, diesel is absolutely ridiculous. It's $4.97 per gallon on average around here. I'm guessing Mr. Harvard is going to make every shipment with hybrids once trucking companies can't afford high fuel costs mixed with other high costs for trucks. Obama is genuine proof that graduating college doesn't give you an ounce of common sense. Stupidest president ever.
02-18-2014 04:07 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2014 11:44 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  The GOP needs to come up with a message highlighting all the things Obama did that unnecessarily sucked money out of the taxpayers pockets and make sure the word gets out before the elections. Sadly, they won't.

They do, but the MSM has a special hold on the majority's ballsack. You can't fault the GOP when they have no one in their corner and being attacked by the DNC and the Libertarians on a daily basis.
02-18-2014 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.