Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

So, what happened to the full-court press that Josh touted before the season?
Bookmark and Share
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
MyBB So, what happened to the full-court press that Josh touted before the season?
OK, let's talk about the full-court press.

We practiced it in the pre-season. It was talked about as a good way to use all our depth at guard.

We got into playing games and it was never very effective. After the Orlando tourney, or some time in December, we made a "course correction", re-emphasized the half-court defense, and pretty much abandoned the press.

So, was our personnel not suited to the press, was our coaching staff not able to come up with a version that worked, or what? I would seriously like to hear some discussion of that issue.

Have the coaches commented on why we had to abandon the press? How much was the decision to abandon it tied to the rules changes to prevent hand-checking? I have seen Louisville still use full-court pressure effectively, so they can still do it within the rules.
02-17-2014 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holysheetman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
So, what happened to the full-court press that Josh touted before the season?
Works against weak teams, not against decent teams. The press has been suspended indefinitely until Josh decides its time to bring it back.
02-17-2014 03:25 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: So, what happened to the full-court press that Josh touted before the season?
I might not be recalling this right but was this the difference between the first and second time we played OK State?
02-17-2014 03:27 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
RE: So, what happened to the full-court press that Josh touted before the season?
The new foul emphasis makes it harder to press successfully. Refs are ready and waiting to blow the whistle when you use your hands defending the perimeter ... you can hardly even bump a guy.
02-17-2014 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
Scrapped after the first OSU game. Where have you been?
02-17-2014 03:44 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-17-2014 03:44 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Scrapped after the first OSU game. Where have you been?

No, we ran it at times since then, but not effectively, and not lately.
02-17-2014 03:45 PM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2014 03:45 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 03:44 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Scrapped after the first OSU game. Where have you been?

No, we ran it at times since then, but not effectively, and not lately.

We run it now as much as we ever have after OSU I. We saw a good deal of it vs. UConn late, and we saw a lot vs. UCF.

A lot of our conference mates (UConn, SMU, UL) have outstanding point guards, and it doesn't pay to press good guards in the half court.

Wait til we play Cincy again, or Houston or Rutgers. You'll see it.
02-17-2014 03:49 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Same reason we don't see a lot of it run against us. Speed kills.
02-17-2014 03:50 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Check the useage of the bigs in those games.....

(02-17-2014 03:27 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  I might not be recalling this right but was this the difference between the first and second time we played OK State?
02-17-2014 03:53 PM
dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The length and versatility of your 4 is pretty important in a full court press. When that 4 is Austin Nichols or is 6'4" (Chris Crawford) it's going to be a little weak against good teams.
02-17-2014 04:04 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Could be because we play 3 of our 4 guards at the same time leaving only 1 to sub in fresh legs.
02-17-2014 04:05 PM
Advertisement

memphissince86 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TigersnRedskins
plus you can't touch the offensive player at ALL

When you press, you want to force the player to certain spots on the floor and a little handchecking helps (see L'ville NC run last year)

It works in spots but not all game long and especially not against teams with good guards.
02-17-2014 04:07 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

It was not effective so it had to go.
02-17-2014 04:12 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-17-2014 04:12 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  It was not effective so it had to go.

Well. that's my basic question. Why was it not effective? I saw that it did not work very well, but I can't tell you why it failed to be effective.
02-17-2014 04:14 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

VCU and UL basically had to re-learn their presses as the season went on. Hell, even now VCU's press is back to being able to force TOs, but they're 200+ in the nation in fouls per FGA on defense. Louisville struggled mid-season as well, losing to every team with a pulse in December and January. Now they've tweaked their back court, and they're looking in late-season form.
02-17-2014 04:16 PM
Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
lol

We are still using it, folks. Just did in the last game.

We just use it in certain parts of the game.
02-17-2014 04:17 PM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2014 04:14 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 04:12 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  It was not effective so it had to go.

Well. that's my basic question. Why was it not effective? I saw that it did not work very well, but I can't tell you why it failed to be effective.

It was predicated on being able to play guys like Iverson, King and Wilson double-digit minutes per game. As they've shown thus far (King excluded, when he plays the 4), they're not ready for this jelly.
02-17-2014 04:17 PM
Bluebeard Offline
Not John Martin

I Root For: Tigers
(02-17-2014 04:05 PM)dan o Wrote:  Could be because we play 3 of our 4 guards at the same time leaving only 1 to sub in fresh legs.

Bingo.
02-17-2014 04:20 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(02-17-2014 04:07 PM)memphissince86 Wrote:  plus you can't touch the offensive player at ALL

Unless he's a Tiger.
02-17-2014 04:21 PM
TigerFan386 Offline
1st String

Defense has actually been pretty good the past month, other than the SMU game. Defense was even pretty good the last game vs UConn, held them under 40%, just got called for too many fouls and Napier made some crazy, unguardable shots. I prefer solid half court defense to the full court press, because our press got broken way too often. Shaq is also becoming something of a rim protector, he's had a lot of blocks lately.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:32 PM by TigerFan386.)
02-17-2014 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.