Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Savery now an Oakland A
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Savery now an Oakland A
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sport...kland.html

He was put on waivers to make room for AJ Burnett.
02-17-2014 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Savery now an Oakland A
What other former Owls are in the spring camps right now? Rendon with Washington obviously and Cingrani with Cincinnati.

Philip Humber is also with Oakland although both he and Savery are going to have uphill climbs to make the opening day roster. Paul Janish is with Arizona? Jeff Niemann is still rehabbing his shoulder but might be ready to pitch for someone by the summer?

I'm sure there are many others but can anyone provide a summary?
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 03:17 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
02-17-2014 03:16 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Aardsma is with Cleveland. Langwell is with the D-Backs.
02-17-2014 04:03 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Luetge (Seattle), Holt (Boston)
02-17-2014 04:05 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Here's some info on Oakland's motivation from the SF Chronicle's A's beat reporter, Susan Slusser:

Quote:... Savery has put up some nice numbers since moving to relief in 2011. He did solid work for Philadelphia last season, so it’s a little odd he was available: Opponents hit .205 against him and he had a 3.15 ERA and two saves in 18 appearances, but the Phillies designated the 2007 first-round pick for assignment to make room for A.J. Burnett.

“Acquiring Joe allows us to add more depth and flexibility from the left side to our bullpen,” assistant GM David Forst said in an email. “He’s pitched very well since converting to a relief role a few years ago and will get a long look here in camp.”

Savery’s splits were weird last season – though it’s a small sample size with the 18 games. Lefties hit .409 against him, right-handers .118. The 28-year-old is likely to battle Fernando Abad for the second lefty spot in the bullpen. ...

.... And here's a short excerpt from a nice longish article about the A's hopes for Humber:

Quote:There’s a huge upside with very little risk for Oakland.

“He’s been perfect at times and not perfect, too,’’ Oakland manager Bob Melvin said Saturday on the first day of workouts for A’s pitchers and catchers. “He can start, he can relieve. He’s going to compete for a job here.’’

While that may sound a little trite, it wasn’t meant that way. The club has the need for a pitcher who can eat up innings in relief and make the occasional spot start, and Humber can do that. And the A’s are not the Astros.

“This is a very good team with deep pitching,’’ Humber said. “I told (pitching coach) Curt Young that `You don’t need me, but I want to help you at whatever way I can. I’d like to be a small part of what’s going on here.

“Last year (statistically) didn’t look good, but I could see things finally getting better. And this game is all about confidence.’’

Humber had a 4.74 ERA and no losses in August and September for the Astros, never giving up more than two runs in an appearance. That’s not eye-popping, but neither is it 7.90.

The A’s have liked Humber for a long time. They took him when the Royals put him on waivers in December of 2010, but about a month later, the A’s needed roster space and the White Sox picked him up.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:55 PM by Almadenmike.)
02-17-2014 04:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.